What if you use reposte

hrrpg1

First Post
Does a reposte, a rogue at-will, change your iniative, count as your next action, or is it basically an extra action like an AO?

Forked from: Delay action clarification

Flipguarder said:
And I want to make this note everywhere I can.

When you delay your turn your new initiative is (technically) lower than the person you finish your turn on.

For example.

You
Monster
Friend
Monster

If you want to delay your turn until your friend does something. That means your new initiative is

Monster
Friend
You
Monster

You can never share initiative with someone.

Oompa

First Post
If you mean Riposte Strike..

immediate interrupt..

So no change in initiative..

Last edited:

hrrpg1

First Post
So If I attack in round 1, and a monster also attacks me in round one and I can interrupt them using riposte strike as another attack in that round and I still get an attack in the 2nd round.

In most cases I would lose combat advantage though huh?

Also, if I used an attack to gain me combat advantage in round one until the end of my next turn in round 2 and the monster attacks me in round 2 before my turn, I get combat advantage and could technically get my SA? and retain CA until the end of my turn in round 2?

Kordeth

First Post
So If I attack in round 1, and a monster also attacks me in round one and I can interrupt them using riposte strike as another attack in that round and I still get an attack in the 2nd round.

Correct.

In most cases I would lose combat advantage though huh?

That depends entirely on what was granting you combat advantage in the first place.

Also, if I used an attack to gain me combat advantage in round one until the end of my next turn in round 2 and the monster attacks me in round 2 before my turn, I get combat advantage and could technically get my SA? and retain CA until the end of my turn in round 2?

Bear in mind that riposte strike is a standard action at-will attack which allows you to make an additional attack against the same target if it attacks you before your next turn--so unless you're spending an action point, you probably won't be making an attack that grants you CA and setting up riposte strike in round one.

As far as getting sneak attack, that depends on whether you got your sneak attack off in round 1 or not. If you have dealt sneak attack damage since the start of your last turn, you can't inflict it again until the start of your next turn. So, assuming you have CA the entire time, the sequence would go:

Rogue 1: Riposte strike + sneak attack
Monster 1: Attacks rogue
Rogue interrupt: Str vs. AC melee attack, 1[W] + Str modifier damage. No sneak attack because you already dealt it and it's not your next turn yet.
Rogue 2: Attack of your choice + sneak attack

OR

Rogue 1: Riposte strike, no sneak attack
Rogue interrupt: Str vs. AC melee attack, 1[W] + Str modifier damage + sneak attack

DracoSuave

First Post
Rogue 1: Riposte strike, no sneak attack
Rogue interrupt: Str vs. AC melee attack, 1[W] + Str modifier damage + sneak attack

Mind you, if you have the opportunity to do sneak attack damage on the original riposte strike, use it. This situation should only ever realisticly come up if your party has worked to put the enemy in combat advantage since your turn.

Remove ads