D&D (2024) What if you were in charge of reworking classes for 5.5?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Just feel the fighter covering both Str and Dex concepts makes less and less sense to me as time goes on.
Ranger has too much baggage for it to be the sole skirmisher, swashbuckler, dagger fighter and archer. I'd be a fan of splitting fighter into a heavy weapon and a light weapon classes, but the ranger is just not the latter.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think yes. There is nothing to gain by turning 5e into LevelUp.
In the end, there are two losers:
Enworld, because WotC took their niche, and WotC, because they lose all the customers who actually like the game as it is.
Well fair enough, but I have no interest in pushing simplicity as the governing design metric.

Aldarc

Legend
Just feel the fighter covering both Str and Dex concepts makes less and less sense to me as time goes on.
Ranger has too much baggage for it to be the sole skirmisher, swashbuckler, dagger fighter and archer. I'd be a fan of splitting fighter into a heavy weapon and a light weapon classes, but the ranger is just not the latter.
Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved basically retooled the Fighter and Rogue slightly, so that the Warmain was the heavily armored STR warrior, while the Unfettered was the swashbuckling, roguish DEX warrior.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Wrong Axis

The fighter covering both Simple and Complex concepts makes less and less sense to me as time goes on.

The Fighter should be the Middle Ground of STR and DEX warrior complexity.
The Barbarians should officially be the Simple STR and DEX warrior.
And Some Duelist/Swashbuckler/Warblade/WarX class should be the Complex STR and DEX warrior.

Remove ads