• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What If...?

Ryujin

Legend
Given our own history of inadvertently destroying ecosystems via exploration, not to mention the "twist" ending of "The War of the Worlds," Away Missions run directly contrary to the Prime Directive.
TOS episode "The Trouble With Tribbles" was all about invasive species. Not quite plague blankets, but in the running.

fba827

Adventurer
So far, we’ve had …..

(1) old time war genre
(2) a heist genre set in space
(3) a spy mystery genre (I say mystery loosely as the short run time made the signals for the reveal early on, so not much mystery really)
(4) I’m not sure what to call this genre other than a dark psychological self reflection
(5) zombie horror (with splash of zombie comedy the real)

Guessing something with a very light comedy tone
Any guesses on other genres to come? There’s what, 8 episodes total this season?

I did notice that the leaked order of the episodes was either off or Disney switched it up on purpose, as I think the Party Thor episode was supposed to be #5 and Zombies was supposed to be #8. I am guessing they wanted to get the downer episodes done and we get the humorous Party Thor next.

@fba827 there are 9 episodes this season and 9 episodes already planned for season 2.

Stalker0

Legend
You're right, of course, but . . . then we wouldn't have gotten a Giant-Woman Zombie! Which was cool! People make bad calls all the time in real life, so to have an Avenger make a bad call when being swarmed by tiny zombies trying to eat her . . . . I'm fine with it.

Hah! Definitely! He's pretty arrogant though, so I think it's in character. Another bad call.
The other option is.... like in the OP universe Thanos uses the space stone to warp in. So he may have had no warning, he just pops in to claim his prize and booom....zombies.

Mirtek

Hero
The other option is.... like in the OP universe Thanos uses the space stone to warp in. So he may have had no warning, he just pops in to claim his prize and booom....zombies.
But why would he arrive in Wakanda? He only went there because the mindstone was there, he should have arrived at the shield base instead

Mirtek

Hero
Ever read (not watch, but read) World War Z? The Battle of Yonkers....
Which wouldn't have worked. Even though the author tries hard to come up with reasons why the military would choose the most terrible tactic to go for show effect rather than efficiency, even that would have wasted the zombie horde easily.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Which wouldn't have worked. Even though the author tries hard to come up with reasons why the military would choose the most terrible tactic to go for show effect rather than efficiency, even that would have wasted the zombie horde easily.

Because the US military has ever had a single day in which they kill a million enemies?

I mean, it is an entire hypothetical, with an enemy that does not really obey physical reality, so you can believe what you will, but to assert that the military can "easily" do a thing that it has never in history done before seems a bit much. If wiping a million bodies off the map was all that easy for them, many real historical conflicts should have gone differently, no?

Stalker0

Legend
I thought we were beyond the point where anybody could credibly say "there's no way people would really be stupid enough to let a deadly plague spread across the world."
Humans are funny that way. Give them an in your face threat, and they rise together like a great wave to crush it to bits.

give them a slow threat that builds, and it’s the frog in the frying pan scenario

Mirtek

Hero
Because the US military has ever had a single day in which they kill a million enemies?

I mean, it is an entire hypothetical, with an enemy that does not really obey physical reality, so you can believe what you will, but to assert that the military can "easily" do a thing that it has never in history done before seems a bit much. If wiping a million bodies off the map was all that easy for them, many real historical conflicts should have gone differently, no?
Slow moving unarmored infantry without any regard to tactic, self-preservation and zero ranged capability? They'd have a field day, even if they deliberately deploy for show effect rather than maximum effiency.

If there ever would have been a historical conflict like that, it would have been over so quickly, if would not even be called a conflict (probably massaker or something similiar)

The author tries to have his cake and eat it too by insisting that his version obeys physical reality (except for the Z-virus thing) and then proceeds to get the implications of his own premises wrong.

His Zombie Survival Guide explains how his Z's are supposed to work. They're still human bodies with all the limitations of the human body (save for being hard to kill), like how it states there never has been an outbreak starting from burried dead in a graveyard since despite being zombiefied they're just human bodies and a human body is simply not strong enough to dig himself out of a proper grave.

So just shooting one of those zombies in the leg will actually hamper it. The zombie is still relying on his sinew and muscles for locomotion.

He might not feel pain, he might not bleed out, but by getting shot in the leg a part of those muscles and sinew are now shredded and no longer available for locomotion. And the structural integrity is now gone too. So without pain to warn him to stop, the zombie will increase the damage with every shuffling step he takes until the whole leg won't be able to move anymore soon enough.

The author spends too much time pointing out how hard it is to actually kill the zombies with guns and rifles, as any hits not in the hit are supposedly worthless. But he ignores that they would not be worthless at all. With how he choses to explain his zombies those hits would all have great effect, even if the zombie isn't dead. They are quite easy it is to incapacitate if we follow the rules he himself set for his zombies.

Sure, most zombies would technically not be destroyed after the military's initial strikes, but they would be in an even less threatening state. They would not be able to relentlessly advance, shrugging of any gunfire that fails to hit their brains. They'd very soon be reduced to crawling and then just being unable to move forward at all.

After that it's just a matter to not let a zombie bite you're ankle or grab your leg when when you have to unpleasant task to truly kill all those prone zombies.

Even if they were to somehow swarm a tank or APC that got stuck, they would not be able to break it open. The embarassed crew would just have to wait for rescue and live with being ridiculed for the rest of their service

Remove ads