What If...?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Not really. Incompatibility between completely independently-evolved lifeforms is at least as insurmountable as incompatibility between computer systems.
Yeah. If an alien lifeform didn't have DNA or RNA, which is highly likely if we ever encounter any alien lifeforms, we'd have no way to infect them with our viruses. They just plain would not work.

Stalker0

Legend
Yeah. If an alien lifeform didn't have DNA or RNA, which is highly likely if we ever encounter any alien lifeforms, we'd have no way to infect them with our viruses. They just plain would not work.
Probably more likely in that context would be some kind of allergic reaction, aka a substance in the planet that triggers a lethal allergic reaction, or the "alien equivalent". A "poison" might even be a better term than an allergen.

That's what Signs went with, which would have worked if its wasn't...you know.....water.....the most common substance on the planet (sigh).

You could make a case for some kind of panspermia idea, particularly with aliens from somewhere as relatively close as Mars. Say life on Earth originated from a Martian meteorite. Then Martian life might be vulnerable to ancient Martian viruses on Earth.

Of course, HG Wells has two excuses: DNA hadn't been discovered when he wrote the book; and it was written as an attack on colonialism, and a number of indigenous populations had been decimated by diseases introduced by European explorers.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I like the stories but hate the animation. Warner Brothers does such a better job with DC animation. The old X-Men animated series was the only Marvel animation I could get into.

I like the stories but hate the animation. Warner Brothers does such a better job with DC animation. The old X-Men animated series was the only Marvel animation I could get into.
South Korean studio AKOM did the x-men cartoon and the only reason you could get into it was you were a kid and it was "OMG X-men" so many problems with the animation.

As for What if? , Marvel Studios' head of visual development Ryan Meinerding helped define the series' cel-shaded animation style, which was designed to reflect the films and take inspiration from classic American illustrators. Animation for the first season is provided by Blue Spirit, Squeeze, Flying Bark Productions, and Stellar Creative Lab, with Stephan Franck as head of animation.

As for WB....you should listen if able to Bruce Timm and the others commentary on episodes of the DCAU cartoons.

FB_IMG_1633307441087.jpg

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Ultron=Me
That's a shame too, because Apple TV+ has some interesting shows. Only Apple products I bought were second hand. Maybe I need to find a bay full of...privateers. 🤔🤫

Remove ads