• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What is a good replacement for Darkvision?

Slit518

Adventurer
An up and coming campaign I am going to be running has an emphasis on survival and inventory management. I want the darkness to be a challenging thing, most PC races have Darkvision. Instead, I am having the players swap out their Darkvision for a replacement.

What is a good replacement for the Darkvision trait? I was thinking the replacement could be one of the following of their choice, a skill; a tool; a language. Is this a good substitution? Or would something else suit it better?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Do you need to give them anything? You might be fine just not having dark vision.

But if you feel a substitution is needed, a skill seems too much to me. A language or tool would be fine.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Perhaps try keeping Darkvision but playing up its disadvantages? Dim illumination in darkness could mean less information provided, encouraging the use of light effects. Posted in a somewhat similar thread:

Shadowdweller00 said:
The GM has complete narrative control over what things look like under darkvision. If you want to play up darkness for thematic effect, just rule that darkvision is less distinct and/or detailed than normal vision. Maybe it provides just enough detail to get a sense of location and movement. Describe things seen in darkness in terms of glimmers, silhouettes, shadows, indistinct shapes. There's plenty of rich, nightmare-worthy material to be found without messing with the mechanical benefits.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Perhaps try keeping Darkvision but playing up its disadvantages? Dim illumination in darkness could mean less information provided, encouraging the use of light effects. Posted in a somewhat similar thread:
Darkvision still gives disadvantage on Perception checks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

5Shilling

Explorer
Maybe downgrade it to Low Light Vision (something I am thinking of doing).

Or you could swap it for Improved Hearing and Smell - that way those 'perceptive' races still get a slight early warning, but you can play up the tension as you describe something that sounds weird or horrifying, or smells terrible, well before anyone can actually see it.

Is this change going to affect monsters too?

Al2O3

Explorer
Swap to Low-light (all dim light is now bright, but darkness is darkness). Still need those torches or light cantrips, but some get more use out of them than others. Probably just a "make better use of the light that exists", so no hard range limit.

I would consider letting dwarves keep the darkvison, because I like them having it from a worldbuilding perspective. Absolutely keep "superior darkvison".

Skickat från min Nexus 6 via Tapatalk

delericho

Legend
I'll echo the suggestion to just downgrade it to low-light vision.

However, I would also sound a note of caution as regards making torch-tracking a big deal - in my experience, most players get bored of that really quickly. So make sure they buy into your concept before you go too far down that route.

Al2O3

Explorer
Regarding inventory management: let them get the light cantrip and not worry about torches ;)

Skickat från min Nexus 6 via Tapatalk

Shiroiken

Legend
I have not had much of an issue with Darkvision, because dim light isn't as useful as just using a light. Something I have considered doing is based on Infravision (AD&D), where it doesn't work if you are within a source of Bright Light. This prevents the issue I currently have, where half the PCs have Darkvision and can see an additional 20' farther than the rest of the party (forcing me to adjust my narrative and is just a PITA on Roll20). Darkvision would still be good for when the lights go out, but doesn't give an edge in most parties.

Remove ads