D&D (2024) How to import "race" flavor into D&D 2024 inclusively

Horwath

Legend
No there won't be a big difference in combat efficiency. In 5e it won't even be noticeable. I also like how you went with -2 when I never said a word about penalties.
having 4 STR more(20 vs 16) with a greatsword is more than 40% more damage you deal.
that is noticeable.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
They ARE big. I said big, not size large.

"Size. Goliaths are between 7 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 280 and 340 pounds."

That's big. Even out of shape, Andre the Giant was a strength beast at 7'4". He barely worked out or lifted weights.
That's the problem, it's too cute by half. It so blatantly toes the line that it does little other than give a player the option to wheedle their gm for advantages when that might be an advantage but simultaneously use the size medium in order to avoid any real downside.

That's the problem, it's too cute by half. It so blatantly toes the line that it does little other than give a player the option to wheedle their gm for advantages when that might be an advantage but simultaneously use the size medium in order to avoid any real downside.
If D&D2024 allowed size Large PC species in, how would you handle the downsides of being Large? And what would say to the player who wants to play something Huge?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
If D&D2024 allowed size Large PC species in, how would you handle the downsides of being Large?
Appropriately sized weapons built for size large PCs bump their damage die a notch, perhaps only when using piercing weapons or not squeezing Squeezing rules apply in a great many many instances where PCs are not outside or able to enjoy 10+foot tall ceilings. +2str -2 dex*. The PC takes up a 2x2(10ftx10ft) block on the grid & aura/pbaoe abilities are scaled appropriately as a result

And what would say to the player who wants to play something Huge?
. Anything more specific is going to need more precision than "something huge". A PC with "something huge" is a total nonissue since 2014. So much of a nonissue that you rarely ever even see someone questioning when players do exactly that

* Yes combined with the goliath's +2 racial dex that would total +4str/-2 dex

How are they becoming huge or where are they finding a huge option?
The reason why I asked about what you would say to someone wanting to play something huge is because it appeared to me you were having an issue with the Powerful Build trait.
Yes, Powerful build does toe the line between being Medium and Large by giving you some of the advantages that come with Large, but without any of the drawbacks associated with that size. I was left wondering if you were advocating for Large PC races in 2024D&D. So I was hoping for some clarification.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The reason why I asked about what you would say to someone wanting to play something huge is because it appeared to me you were having an issue with the Powerful Build trait.
Well I do have issue with that trait, but it's for a different reason. That's kind of a different issue though & I have a couple recent posts (few days & oct2023) on why here & here.
Yes, Powerful build does toe the line between being Medium and Large by giving you some of the advantages that come with Large, but without any of the drawbacks associated with that size. I was left wondering if you were advocating for Large PC races in 2024D&D. So I was hoping for some clarification.
Yes and no. It's true that powerful build raises size for purposes of carrying capacity & push/pull/drag, but not for things where having a larger size matters (ie social & exploration stuff).

The problem with an 8 foot tall 340 pound size medium goliath is that it leans deep into 5e's wishy washy "☆wink☆ ☆wink☆ 'ask' ☆nudge☆ ☆nudge☆ your GM, we did this to make it easy to homebrew" rulings not rules mantra in order to enjoy the benefits of being almost double the height of everyone else in the party during any sort of social or exploration encounter/exercise where size might have a significant benefit for the player. That's not where it ends though because being size medium allows goliath PCs the option of dashing back from being 8 feet tall when it was convenient to enjoying a mechanical shield of "I'm only size medium, the GM is being adversarial" with social contract backing the instant tha PC runs into a social or exploration encounter/exercise might be made more difficult or more complex for a player who is almost double the size of anyone else in the party.

Put in perspective for just how big 8 feet tall is... The average (US?) ceiling height is 96 inches or 8 feet making it the same as an 8 foot tall goliath .... So is an elephant & many other things.

Last edited:

Remove ads