D&D (2024) How to import "race" flavor into D&D 2024 inclusively

Horwath

Legend
Pathfinder 1st edition's Advanced Race Guide has a chapter where all of racial traits for it's PF1 races are given a point cost. https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races This link will provide you with the point cost for every available trait that a given race could have.

Humans in PF1 btw cost about 9 points. ;)
yeah, I know that book.
I believe that weakest race was 7 pts and strongest(that was considered common/default) was 15. little imbalance, so we added that you "upgrade" your race with the book to 15 pts. and also try to stay in the lore of the race with it.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
wizard might be limited to "buying" only light armor and/or shields and nothing above. Basic military training.
i wouldn't even give them shields, it's simple enough to learn how to strap on some padded armour or leather but IMO a wizard does not learn how to properly use a shield on the side of their magic training.
a fighter might have limit of only 2 cantrips to choose. Arcane dabbler.
this is something i might also add to the background categories too, it's always been way too costly for nonmagic characters to pick up magic.

Horwath

Legend
i wouldn't even give them shields, it's simple enough to learn how to strap on some padded armour or leather but IMO a wizard does not learn how to properly use a shield on the side of their magic training.
sure
this is something i might also add to the background categories too, it's always been way too costly for nonmagic characters to pick up magic.
that is why you get 25pts and each cantrip costs 1.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
The abilities are occupational. There is no longer any link between "species" and abilities.
You and WotC have replaced the "biological" essentialism.of fictional fantasy beings with classism based on the social classes that have always existed in human society and still exist today.

Congratulations, I feel much more included now.

Yaarel

He Mage
You and WotC have replaced the "biological" essentialism.of fictional fantasy beings with classism based on the social classes that have always existed in human society and still exist today.

What classism? Every character has the same opportunities to reach the same tiers and levels.

I don't understand what it is you are saying. Replacing biological "essentialism" with social classism? Can you provide clarity? Using simple words so I can understand?

At first blush, I feel like clarifying that I don't see PCs as real people, rather as narrative constructs to base stories around. For those stories we can focus on the biological, emotional, cultural, and class-based themes, or a mix of any themes, if we so wish. Nothing is being replaced.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I don't understand what it is you are saying. Replacing biological "essentialism" with social classism? Can you provide clarity? Using simple words so I can understand?
The argument is that it is real-life racist for characters to get a bonus to INT for being an Elf or an INT penalty for being an Orc, or a WIS bonus for being a Dwarf or a WIS penalty for being a Gnome. I don't really accept this argument either, but it does cause gameplay/narrative problems that can be solved by (mostly) removing these adjustments.

But... their "clever" solution is to take the same bonuses (w/o penalties) to apply them to whether your character is a farmer, a soldier, a merchant, an academic, or a noble. These roles are just as hereditary as race in most medieval fantasy settings, and still considerably more hereditary than modern forward-thinking activists want to admit.

Solving a debatably real problem by replacing it with an objectively undeniably real one.

Horwath

Legend

some traits will remain biological.

but having +2 for primary ability on one race and -2 on the other race made certain characters very bad.
that is why 1st -2 penalty was removed and then +2 bonuses were made "floating"

having played 3.5e halfling barbarian, I didn't mind having d10 instead of d12 for greataxe. that is 1 point of damage only to represent size difference, but having -2 str next to half orc with +2 str did make a difference.

same with elf +2 int and half orc -2 int. who out of those two will be competent wizard?

Remove ads