D&D 5E What IS a level 1 Fighter?

When I say "Level 1 Fighter" what image first comes to mind?

• A farm hand picking up a sword to go slay goblins

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Someone who just started training with weapons

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • A veteran who turns his skills with weapons toward adventuring

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Something else entirely

Votes: 22 25.0%

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Fighters are literally too skilled to be considered unskilled.
At worst, they could be rookies. But even those have all their schooling behind them, it's just practical experience that they need.

Personally, I imagine them in the same boat as people who return from service after a two-year gig.

BigBadDM

Explorer
I'm talking about CLASS DESIGN...Like how the Thief and Assasins of old merged together and balooned into the modern Rogue.

Honestly, I think you are just talking in circles without a point. I already (as well as others) addressed these topics. But for the same of completeness, take your assessment:

'thief and assassins merged into the modern rogue'
is akin to:
champion, battle master, and eldricth knight merged into the modern fighter

and what does this tell us---> the fighter is the expert at using weapons.
This is the 'CLASS DESIGN' I am not sure why you keep skipping this part.

So the question is what fluff inspired the mechanical design of the Fighter class at low level.
Fluff is nothing but role-playing and backstory. But every time it is brought up you dismiss it.

Are they meant to represent complete newbies, veterans of war who turned to adventuring, or something in between? How much trainng is involved into becoming a level 1 fighter?

This is all fluff. It is the same with any class. It isn't specific to the Fighter.
It is the same as asking, how much time does a person need to be in the woods to be a level 1 druid.
How many prayers does one need to be a level 1 cleric. How many pockets do I have to pick to be a level 1 rogue.

Yaarel

He Mage
Fighters are literally too skilled to be considered unskilled.
At worst, they could be rookies. But even those have all their schooling behind them, it's just practical experience that they need.

Personally, I imagine them in the same boat as people who return from service after a two-year gig.

I think ‘rookies’ is an adequate word for level 5.

The average age of a starting police officer is about 20-25. They are allowed to apply as young as 18. But many feel 21 is still too young. 23-24 is considered a good age to begin police work.

In other words. All police officers have graduated high school, and are at least functioning at college level.

High school graduate: 18 years old: level 1

Associate degree: 20 years old: level 3

College degree, Bachelors: 22 years old: level 5

So, police departments tend to prefer college graduates, or the equivalent.

But, because of individual talent or unusual early experience, police departments sometimes hire someone while they are still in college.

The college graduates are preferred as a ‘professional’ police officer: a ‘rookie’.

Undrave

Legend
Honestly, I think you are just talking in circles without a point. I already (as well as others) addressed these topics. But for the same of completeness, take your assessment:

'thief and assassins merged into the modern rogue'
is akin to:
champion, battle master, and eldricth knight merged into the modern fighter

and what does this tell us---> the fighter is the expert at using weapons.
This is the 'CLASS DESIGN' I am not sure why you keep skipping this part.

Fluff is nothing but role-playing and backstory. But every time it is brought up you dismiss it.

This is all fluff. It is the same with any class. It isn't specific to the Fighter.
It is the same as asking, how much time does a person need to be in the woods to be a level 1 druid.
How many prayers does one need to be a level 1 cleric. How many pockets do I have to pick to be a level 1 rogue.

I don't really have a point, I shared my opinion and I'm asking for yours. I'm asking for what, in your mind, is the quintessential Fighter. The most boring and bland maybe? I dunno. The core Fighter on which others are just variation (i.e. Fighter but with spell, Fighter but he wasn't formally trained, Fighter but with X background, etc). I guess I'm just doing a bad job explaining the sort of perspective I'm looking for because I keep getting flaky "Oh you can play whatever you want".

I know.

Fluff is mutable.

BUT all classes still have a basic default fluff right there in the PHB. What does that default Fluff inspire you? If you imagine a concept as a series of dials you can twist around to tune in to the idea you have in your mind, what are the starting positions? If you want to play the prodigee who is suddenly good at a sword, how far on the "Skilled warrior with experience" nob do you need to spin?

I'm asking for your perspective on the basic few paragraphs we get in the PHB, not your experience as a role player who can turn any class into any concept they want.

If the Fighter is just "the guy with weapons" and nothing else to describe him, then that's pretty weaksauce compared to other classes. I mean, the Barbarian, Cleric, Paladin, Ranger and Rogue all swing weapons around. Even the Bards and some Warlock...

Undrave

Legend
I think ‘rookies’ is an adequate word for level 5.

The average age of a starting police officer is about 20-25. They are allowed to apply as young as 18. But many feel 21 is still too young. 23-24 is considered a good age to begin police work.

In other words. All police officers have graduated high school, and are at least functioning at college level.

High school graduate: 18 years old: level 1

Associate degree: 20 years old: level 3

College degree, Bachelors: 22 years old: level 5

So, police departments tend to prefer college graduates, or the equivalent.

But, because of individual talent or unusual early experience, police departments sometimes hire someone while they are still in college.

The college graduates are preferred as a ‘professional’ police officer: a ‘rookie’.

Polce officers are basically town guards with a car and a gun. The Fighter description literally call out that not all town guards don't have Fighter levels.

BigBadDM

Explorer
If you imagine a concept as a series of dials you can twist around to tune in to the idea you have in your mind, what are the starting positions?

Starting positions, I think the PHB sums it up:
'All of these heroes are fighters, perhaps the most diverse class of characters in the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons. Questing knights, conquering overlords, royal champions, elite foot soldiers, hardened mercenaries, and bandit kings—as fighters, they all share an unparalleled mastery with weapons and armor, and a thorough knowledge of the skills of combat.'

and

'As you build your fighter, think about two related elements of your character’s background: Where did you get your combat training, and what set you apart from the mundane warriors around you? Were you particularly ruthless? Did you get extra help from a mentor, perhaps because of your exceptional dedication? What drove you to this training in the first place? A threat to your homeland, a thirst for revenge, or a need to prove yourself might all have been factors.'

To me the 'quintessential fighter is all those things. The fighter is probably the least bland creation-wise. Dex Fighters, Grapplers, STR fighters, etc etc.... It has more possible starting positions compared to other classes. One doesn't have to be the 'holy-knight', the 'warlock-patron', the 'nature druid'

The concept is more open than other classes, perhaps this is where you are tripping up?

Remove ads