D&D 5E What IS a level 1 Fighter?

When I say "Level 1 Fighter" what image first comes to mind?

• A farm hand picking up a sword to go slay goblins

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Someone who just started training with weapons

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • A veteran who turns his skills with weapons toward adventuring

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Something else entirely

Votes: 22 25.0%

Sacrosanct

Legend
veteran (ˈvɛtərən; ˈvɛtrən)
n

a. a person or thing that has given long service in some capacity
b. (as modifier): veteran firemen.

2. (Military)
a. a soldier who has seen considerable active service
b. (as modifier): veteran soldier.

3. (Military) US and Canadian a person who has served in the military forces

[C16: from Latin veterānus, from vetus old]

vet•er•an (ˈvɛt ər ən, ˈvɛ trən)
n.

1. a person who has had long service or experience in an occupation, office, or the like: a veteran of the police force.

2. a person who has served in a military force, esp. during a war.
adj.

3. (of a soldier) having served in a military force, esp. during a war.

4. experienced through long service: a veteran member of Congress.

5. of or pertaining to veterans.

[1495–1505; < Latin veterānus mature, experienced =veter-, s. of vetus old + -ānus -an1]

vet·er·an (vĕt′ər-ən, vĕt′rən)
n.
a. A person who has served in the armed forces.
b. An old soldier who has seen long service.

2. A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity: a veteran of political campaigns.

[Latin veterānus, from vetus, veter-, old; see wet- in Indo-European roots.]

So, it is possible we mean different things when we say the word ‘veteran’.

There are moreorless two different meanings of ‘veteran’.

One meaning for the word ‘veteran’ is a seasoned ‘old timer’ who is a master of war, or by analogy, a master of any area of expertise. This is absolutely what I mean, when I am referring to who is or who isnt a ‘veteran’.

But the other meaning of ‘veteran’ is technically anyone who has ever been in the military − even if it was technically, just for a couple of months, if someone got drafted just as the war is ending.

Now, military service when voluntarily enlisting (whether there is a war or not) is say 2 to 6 years of service. So they are out of high school at college level. When they completer their term of service, then they have effectively graduated college. They could be ‘professional’ soldiers after this.

Anyway, in my eyes, it is almost offensive to refer to a level 1 character as a ‘veteran’.

But if someone is speaking in the technical sense of ever having seen war, even if only briefly. Then, well, that is a legitimate meaning of the word ‘veteran’ too.

See my post above regarding how many of us who were deployed refer to others who served but never left their desk as “prior service” and not veterans 😉

I admit, it’s more tongue in cheek than anything else, but the military is all about demeaning other MOS’s if nothing else 😂

veteran (ˈvɛtərən; ˈvɛtrən)
n

a. a person or thing that has given long service in some capacity
b. (as modifier): veteran firemen.

2. (Military)
a. a soldier who has seen considerable active service
b. (as modifier): veteran soldier.

3. (Military) US and Canadian a person who has served in the military forces

[C16: from Latin veterānus, from vetus old]

vet•er•an (ˈvɛt ər ən, ˈvɛ trən)
n.

1. a person who has had long service or experience in an occupation, office, or the like: a veteran of the police force.

2. a person who has served in a military force, esp. during a war.
adj.

3. (of a soldier) having served in a military force, esp. during a war.

4. experienced through long service: a veteran member of Congress.

5. of or pertaining to veterans.

[1495–1505; < Latin veterānus mature, experienced =veter-, s. of vetus old + -ānus -an1]

vet·er·an (vĕt′ər-ən, vĕt′rən)
n.
a. A person who has served in the armed forces.
b. An old soldier who has seen long service.

2. A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity: a veteran of political campaigns.

[Latin veterānus, from vetus, veter-, old; see wet- in Indo-European roots.]

So, it is possible we mean different things when we say the word ‘veteran’.

There are moreorless two different meanings of ‘veteran’.

One meaning for the word ‘veteran’ is a seasoned ‘old timer’ who is a master of war, or by analogy, a master of any area of expertise. This is absolutely what I mean, when I am referring to who is or who isnt a ‘veteran’.

But the other meaning of ‘veteran’ is technically anyone who has ever been in the military − even if it was technically, just for a couple of months, if someone got drafted just as the war is ending.

Now, military service when voluntarily enlisting (whether there is a war or not) is say 2 to 6 years of service. So they are out of high school at college level. When they completer their term of service, then they have effectively graduated college. They could be ‘professional’ soldiers after this.

Anyway, in my eyes, it is almost offensive to refer to a level 1 character as a ‘veteran’.

But if someone is speaking in the technical sense of ever having seen war, even if only briefly. Then, well, that is a legitimate meaning of the word ‘veteran’ too.
My 1st level Fighter in my current game has the soldier background and served several years in a campaign and seen several battles before becoming an adventurer.

He is a veteran.

The problem with your argument is that you are trying to assign a mechical power level to something that is a subjective and a narrative element. Whether a character is a veteran is a function of the character’s past and history.

Not to mention your minimum power level to be considered a veteran is WAY too high and seems to keep creeping higher and higher with your every post.

My best friend is a veteran of multiple deployments and saw combat. He didn’t come back with the power level of Tier 3 D&D character.

I consider a first level fighter to be a veteran. Their capabilities put them above a typical soldier. They are not gods among men, but in reality most veterans aren’t. Most are more skilled and capable than your average folk... like the 1st level fighter.

A 9th level fighter would also be a veteran (and possible a more accomplished one). But a 9th level fighter is a paragon... one who’s ability reaches acts of greatness and their actions can impact a nation. This isn’t the default capability of every veteran.

The level 9 veteran is Achilles... the level 1 veterans are the warriors fighting around him.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend

My best friend is a veteran of multiple deployments and saw combat. He didn’t come back with the power level of Tier 3 D&D character.

well, nobody does in real life. No matter how many people I killed for XP, I’d never gain actual levels or power.

so you can’t really compare D&D experiences with real life experiences. Audie Murphy couldn’t fight an elephant bare handed and win without breaking a sweat, and he got tons of XP...

well, nobody does in real life. No matter how many people I killed for XP, I’d never gain actual levels or power.

so you can’t really compare D&D experiences with real life experiences. Audie Murphy couldn’t fight an elephant bare handed and win without breaking a sweat, and he got tons of XP...
I apologize. I never served and it was probably in bad taste to use that as an example.

The point I was trying to make is that it’s an unreasonable expectation to set on a veteran in terms of power level in the geme.

I’m not sure what kind of world you would have where every military veteran is at least 9th level.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I’m not sure what kind of world you would have where every military veteran is at least 9th level.

PC's would need to be at least that level before they'd never get hired to do what the local army could do for them!

Ok, somewhat exaggerated, but I think it's a real point.

Yaarel

He Mage
My 1st level Fighter in my current game has the soldier background and served several years in a campaign and seen several battles before becoming an adventurer.

He is a veteran.

That is a fair point. A level 1 Fighter with the Soldier Background, is by definition a ‘veteran’ in the other sense of having served in the military or having survived war.

When I realized there were two totally different definitions of the word ‘veteran’, I became more sympathetic toward those who were talking about a ‘Level 1 veteran’.

The problem with your argument is that you are trying to assign a mechical power level to something that is a subjective and a narrative element. Whether a character is a veteran is a function of the character’s past and history.

Not to mention your minimum power level to be considered a veteran is WAY too high and seems to keep creeping higher and higher with your every post.

To be clear, when I use the word ‘veteran’, I mean someone who is a ‘master’ − someone who is extremely experienced.

In fact, I am highly consistent in my view of leveling tiers for many years, since the beginnings of 4e.

Levels 1-4: Apprentice
Levels 5-8: Professional
Levels 9-12: Master
Levels 13-16: Leader
Levels 17-20: Legend
Levels 21+: Epic

(But even Epic levels seem useful to subdivide.)

There have been variations, but these groups of four levels have been in place for many years now.

This thread has shifted my view slightly. Earlier, I was of the view that a level 1 character is still in highschool, say 16 years old. But some of the considerations in this thread make me feel more certain that Level 1 is beginning college − after having graduated highschool. The highschool Level-Oners, were really advanced highschool students who were effectively at college level.

People can be self-taught. I have no difficulty with people mastering an area of expertise without formal training. But these same people can take a college exam and succeed at the appropriate college level. (It might take them a moment to translate their experience into a college experience, but they can do it. They know their stuff.)

So:
• High School Diploma − begins Level 1
• Associates Degree − begins Level 3
• Bachelors Degree − begins Level 5

‘Normally’, this corresponds to ages 18, 20, and 22, respectively.

But individuals can vary drastically − especially if they are unusually talented ahead of the curve, or ‘multiclassing’ elsewhere thus behind the curve.

‘Multiple’ deployments? Honestly I assume is Tier 2 or higher, depending on how many ‘encounters’ he survived.

I consider a first level fighter to be a veteran. Their capabilities put them above a typical soldier. They are not gods among men, but in reality most veterans aren’t. Most are more skilled and capable than your average folk... like the level 1 fighter.
For me, ‘veteran’ ≈ ‘guru’.

i consider the farm boy who picks up his father’s sword to be a commoner.
Well, for example, in medieval England, a ‘farm boy’ likely is required by law to have been training in combat.

And a ‘farm hand’ is a tier of advancement above a ‘boy’.

A 9th level fighter would also be a veteran (and possible a more accomplished one). But a 9th level fighter is a paragon... one who’s ability reaches acts of greatness and their actions can impact a nation. This isn’t the default capability of every veteran.

The level 9 veteran is Achilles... the level 1 veterans are the warriors fighting around him.

As I mentioned in a post above. When I use the word ‘veteran’, I mean someone who is accomplished.

Hussar

Legend
Meh. Level has zero impact on background. Nor should it.

Fighters have virtually no built in background, so, any background that your table finds plausible is fitting for a Fighter. Fighters are, more or less, the tabula rasa class, which means you can make them whatever you like.

Your 1st level fighter can be a Samurai, or a Knight Templar, or some peasant who did his yearly training for a few years and then picked up a sword. They are all 1st level fighters.

Mercurius

Legend
Haven't read the thread, but I think it is simple: A 1st level fighter is akin to a soldier who has made it through basic training, no more or less. It is mostly definitely not a typical farm-hand. It is a trained, but inexperienced, professional warrior. A 1st level fighter is better at melee combat than any other 1st level character, which is not something that most farm-hands could say.

You could probably make an argument that it could be that farmboy who was particularly naturally talented and played with wooden swords a lot. Either way--a basic trained soldier or a naturally talented farm-hand, which can be skinned and skilled differently--ends up amounting to a similar level of competency, aka 1st level fighter.

"A veteran who turns his skills with weapons toward adventuring"

can someone please attempt to convince me of this particular one even being plausible? It doesnt make any sense to me.

Shiroiken

Legend
I wouldn't necessarily say that they're "veterans," but obviously they've had significant training (proficient in all weapons). More than likely they're somewhere between a newb and a veteran... having been a hired thug, a militia member, or perhaps even a levy that never saw much combat.

This issue actually occurs for all classes, since most don't reach their archetype until level 2 or 3. Is a level 1 wizard still an apprentice, a new journeyman mage, or a full wizard? It doesn't help when WotC often refers to levels 1-2 (or 4) as the apprentice tier.

Remove ads