D&D General What is a Ranger? A miserable pile of secrets! (+)

What is a Ranger? (pick up to 3)

• Archery! Rangers and Bows. They just make sense.

Votes: 48 40.0%
  • Dual wielding! Just like Drizzt taught me!

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Nature! But none of that magic crap, more like, "hey, that's poison oak, don't touch that"

Votes: 67 55.8%
  • Magic! Like a mini-druid. Maybe poultices. Plants and animals are friends! With magic!

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Animal companions! Just like Drizzt taught me!

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • DPS! Damage on damage on damage. Doesn't matter how, just keep magic out of it! They're martial!

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Favored foes! The "X killed my family" trope is due for a comeback! You'll see! You'll all see!

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Stealth! Stalking through the woods, unseen, unheard, unsmelt. This is the way.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Aragorn! Just being Aragorn. That's all it ever was.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • Rogues! Just replace buildings with trees

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monster Hunting! Toss a coin to your Drizzt!

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • Environmental Adaptation! A Drizzt of all seasons!

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Magical Weapons Combat! Look I don't even know at this point

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Katniss! Dump Strider in the past! The future is catching fire and mocking jays!

Votes: 2 1.7%

payn

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Couldn't vote, need more than 3 choices.

On the subject of favored foe, I never understood the genocidal mania take. There is nothing in the descriptions that say you were f'd over by the thing you are experienced in tracking and fighting. 🤷‍♂️

The Ranger's fantasy to me is one of information, wilderness, and independence. The Ranger in D&D should not only embody these ideas, but be able to use its wisdom to enhance the other party. It should have a laundry list of specific passive feats the Ranger can get as it levels up that relate to favored enemy and wilderness, and it should be able to share these passives with its party, much in the same way the Paladin does with its aura.

Undrave

Legend
So, if I was in charge of a new PHB, here is how I would define the Ranger:

“The Ranger is the Warrior of the Frontier, the one who exists between two worlds. Rangers protect settlers from the assaults of wild beasts, they protect Nature from the wanton destruction of Man, they stalk the borderland between enemy kingdoms, or they guard the World against those that would invade from another plane. These situations naturally develop in a need for novel tactics, employing might and cunning in equal measures, and they often lead to living in isolated conditions where knowledge of your surrounding and self-reliance are essential for survival. This combination of skills and traits makes Rangers incredibly well suited to the life of Adventurer, and are regarded as some of the best companions one can have on a long quest.

While all Rangers share certain traits, the relationship they have with the different Worlds they straddle marks them in unique ways, making them stand out from each other. They might look totally different to an outsider's perspective, but two different Rangers who meet for the first time will often realize their commonality and quickly bond over stories of their personal Frontier."

Every subclass would thus be defined in what frontier it straddles, rather than purely it's favored foe. Some would be purely martial, others would have picked up magical skills.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
You added those and not Katniss? MEAN! :p
Also added! Though I find myself wishing I had skipped out on the "Just Aragorn" option
whoa whoa whoa!!! You can't add new poll options midway in your poll, that's going to completely skew your results. How do you know if the new options don't get picked much, its because people didn't like them....or they simply voted before those options existed?

Just a heads up that I've set it so that you can update your vote if any new option pops up that tickles your fancy.

She also encompasses the upstanding, protective nature of the ranger that Aragorn has.
Yeah she even uses her knowledge of nature to heal people and so on (though er... also nanotech healing gels sent by supporters lol)
The mechanics of the ranger can NEVER matched the lore of the class.

The closest has be 0e and 4e.
Oh I definitely agree, I just don't think I'd pick those three options as the direction to move in, because they're so impressively esoteric.
Note: Katniss and Aragorn are the same character type, with minor differences in fluff.
I kind of totally agree and also totally disagree but you can definitely draw some similarities.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads