• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is "apparent time"?

Mystery Man

First Post
Never cast timestop, but I'm going to soon, I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row.

"You are free to act for 1d4+1 rounds of apparent time."

Does this mean that 1d4+1 rounds go by for you while only one round goes by for everyone else?

Cornfuseled!

Infiniti2000

First Post
Mystery Man said:
Does this mean that 1d4+1 rounds go by for you while only one round goes by for everyone else?
Close. It means that 1d4+1 rounds go by for you while no time goes by for everyone else. Per the spell description: "This spell seems to make time cease to flow for everyone but you."

Mystery Man said:
Never cast timestop, but I'm going to soon, I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row.
Make sure you ready to cast time stop again as the last action in the 1d4+1 rounds.

CronoDekar

First Post
It's my initiative, and I cast Time Stop. I get 4 apparent rounds to act within the limits of the spell. Note that in "real time", all the following actions effectively happen within the standard action of casting Time Stop (or swift action if you're somehow casting it quickened).

Apparent Round 1: I cast Delayed Blast Fireball on my Ice Giant enemies, which works since it would not take affect during the Time Stop. I then move 30' toward the one that has barbarian class levels.
A. Round 2: I move in another 30' to where I am right in front of him and Gate in a Balor.
A. Round 3: I Dimension Door back to safety.
A. Round 4: I cast Stoneskin on myself just in case.

Then the spell ends, and I get a move action (if I did not take one for the real round). Everyone else acts as normal, and my DBF takes affect whenever it was set to take affect.

Personally, I wouldn't say that you could cast Time Stop within a Time Stop, since it would have to rely on apparent apparent time. Plus it'd just be a twee broken.

Three_Haligonians

First Post
Wow, you guys are more devious than me. I never thought about using Delayed Blast Fireball... I'll remember that one.

I've always thought of Timestop as a good spell to use when you need to drink a potion, cast Haste, cast Mage Armor (if you're pathetic enough to still need Mage Armor when you can cast Timestop :D ).

R from Three Haligonians

Remove ads