D&D 5E What is ARCADIA?

ARCADIA has joined the ranks of online D&D magazines; this one is from Matt Colville's company, MCDM. The e-zine is being launched today or tomorrow (it should appear on MCDM's store for $7 at some point), and the first issue contains new rules for mounts, an adventure, a sorcerer subclass, and a pair of celestial villains. Take a peek!

ARCADIA has joined the ranks of online D&D magazines; this one is from Matt Colville's company, MCDM. The e-zine is being launched today or tomorrow (it should appear on MCDM's store for $7 at some point), and the first issue contains new rules for mounts, an adventure, a sorcerer subclass, and a pair of celestial villains. Take a peek!

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

TheBanjoNerd

Gelatinous Dungeon Master
I picked up the first hardcover anthology for Rolled & Told, and the second is on my wish list. Sad to hear the magazine is going under.

I fantasize about a return to print for Dragon Magazine . . . . but it seems that print magazines are difficult to make work nowadays. What I really liked about Rolled & Told was how beautiful the magazines were to page through, both with graphic design and the artwork. The new Arcadia magazine looks very beautiful as well with gorgeous design and artwork.
Yes! It was super convenient for me to pop into my local Comic shop and grab the issue. Had to be quick though, it always sold out quickly in my area.

As someone who is old enough to have been around for print magazines last hurrah in the mid/late 90's, I truly mourn the diminishing of niche hobby magazines. It seemed like every subject imaginable had at least two magazines dedicated to it. I had a years-long subscription to ToyFare and Wizard, two magazines that were giants of the comics and collectibles hobby which are both long gone now.

Retreater

Legend
I like Colville's content generally speaking. And it being digital doesn't overly concern me since my shelves are already beyond capacity. So I'm looking forward to it. (A rare statement from my usual negativity towards products on here, which I'm going to work on.)

Dire Bare

Legend
Oof! Looks like Arcadia is going to be digital only.
The logistics of making Arcadia a traditional printed magazine are . . . challenging, and not likely to be successful, sadly.

But MCDM could do a POD (print-on-demand) version, possibly at some point. If you watch the video, Colville makes it pretty clear that there are only 3 issues currently planned, and that this is an experiment . . . if successful, we'll see more issues of Arcadia, and if MCDM gets the right feedback, they might be willing to offer a POD option.

EDIT: To be clear, Colville isn't saying anything about a POD option, that part is my speculation.

Weiley31

Legend
I am quite digging the Mount Rules to a point that I may jack it for my 5E games. It's simple and elegant when it comes to a character and their mount.(and it's pretty much guaranteeing a purchase from me.)

Also, I noticed the DC Saving Throws PCs have to make a saving roll that utilizes Profienicy Bonus. I know Tasha's is doing that for character scaling in regards to abilities, but had no idea it's applying to saves against monster attack riders.

Last edited:

Yenrak

Explorer
I like Matt Coville. I’d love to hear some reviews of the mounted rules. I’ll buy it if they are any good but I’m hesitant to spend $7 risking disappointment. What are they? Is it just a bunch of weird mounts or does it add good, interesting mechanics?

The logistics of making Arcadia a traditional printed magazine are . . . challenging, and not likely to be successful, sadly.

But MCDM could do a POD (print-on-demand) version, possibly at some point. If you watch the video, Colville makes it pretty clear that there are only 3 issues currently planned, and that this is an experiment . . . if successful, we'll see more issues of Arcadia, and if MCDM gets the right feedback, they might be willing to offer a POD option.

EDIT: To be clear, Colville isn't saying anything about a POD option, that part is my speculation.
You could do it if people were willing to pay $20 an issue. But the people who keep wishing for magazines to return arn't willing to pay that price.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads