D&D 5E What is ARCADIA?

ARCADIA has joined the ranks of online D&D magazines; this one is from Matt Colville's company, MCDM. The e-zine is being launched today or tomorrow (it should appear on MCDM's store for $7 at some point), and the first issue contains new rules for mounts, an adventure, a sorcerer subclass, and a pair of celestial villains. Take a peek!
ARCADIA has joined the ranks of online D&D magazines; this one is from Matt Colville's company, MCDM. The e-zine is being launched today or tomorrow (it should appear on MCDM's store for $7 at some point), and the first issue contains new rules for mounts, an adventure, a sorcerer subclass, and a pair of celestial villains. Take a peek!

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I like Matt Coville. I’d love to hear some reviews of the mounted rules. I’ll buy it if they are any good but I’m hesitant to spend $7 risking disappointment. What are they? Is it just a bunch of weird mounts or does it add good, interesting mechanics?

So it's really just an extension of the current mounted rules, but the biggest piece of it is how it allows you to spend your bonus action to make an attack with your mount. That in combination with redesigning all the normal mounts (horse, hippogriff) and adding new ones (basilisk, owlbear, nightmare, giant frog) makes it pretty good.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

Let me know what happens
really glad to hear "if it's not in the core rules or even if it is in the core rules and it's something we think we could do better lets go for it ..." was a promising bit for future editions

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
After watching that Interview, I really am digging the concept that S.A.M. is a Living Spell that has sentience. A nice way of adding or explaining Living Spells in a non Eberron setting.
Living Spells were one of those ideas that I slapped my forehead when I first read it. So brilliant, so obvious in retrospect. You can go from a spooky cloudkill ooze to something really awe-inspiring, like a living commune or wish spell.

It really ought to have made the jump to a core monster type in 5E.

Waller

Legend
Living Spells were one of those ideas that I slapped my forehead when I first read it. So brilliant, so obvious in retrospect. You can go from a spooky cloudkill ooze to something really awe-inspiring, like a living commune or wish spell.

It really ought to have made the jump to a core monster type in 5E.
Are they a new thing, or the same as the Eberron living spells?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Are they a new thing, or the same as the Eberron living spells?
The SAM in the arcadia adventure could be a living spell or not as it's probably closer to HAL than any of the living spells ever put together in eberron stuff. I figured it more of a eldritch machine or at least close to one since it's pretty linked to the building. One of the waterdeep adventures has a living spell or two that's little more than an demonstration for why they should have existed from the start if there wasn't such a focus on FR exclusivity in the core books so now that it has been published in FR content wotc can stop applying NIH & admit they are a thing that can exist in print or possibly one day a core book.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads