• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is considered high level?

Verdande

First Post
I've been conceptualizing an idea where you could "plug in" character from this theoretical system into high-level basic D&D and AD&D modules so you could play them with a minimum of prep time and without having to worry about the fact that wizards run the show when you make them at high levels because they don't have to pay the "really weak at low levels" pseudo-tax. And also because it'd be fun.

But it begs the question: When does "high levels" start? When does creating a character from scratch really get difficult?

I personally think that "Name Level" is about right for this sort of idea (levels 9+), but I figure I could get a couple of other opinions before I start on this mini-project.

Thanael

Explorer
Creating 2E characters from scratch isn't that difficult, even for very high levels.

That said, creating a high level char probably results in another character than playing him to that level. Also playing the former is harder for a player imho or takes a skilled player, as the latter would have learned what tactics to use and how every spell works etc.

That said I had much fun building epic level characters for A Paladin in Hell (It is suggested to build characters with 2.25 million xps!), but alas they were never played.

All 2E campaign that I played in topped out/stagnated at or before name level. So once i decided to run a one shot with the guys at 9th level and i have to say they managed it great.

Last edited:

Gilladian

Adventurer
My personal opinion is that Dnd 3.0/3.5 and variations become almost ridiculous after about 10th level. Characters are complex enough that creating them is a real pain, and playing one that you didn't "level up" is brutally challenging. You almost have to be a very experienced player to do it.

My campaigns always seemed to lose momentum when the PCs reached 9-12th level, so I always ended them at around that point.

Now I'm running an E6 game, to see if we can keep things going longer.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
But it begs the question: When does "high levels" start? When does creating a character from scratch really get difficult?
Basically never. Creating a character from scratch in AD&D and classical D&D is always a pretty straightforward process.

I personally think that "Name Level" is about right for this sort of idea (levels 9+), but I figure I could get a couple of other opinions before I start on this mini-project.
I agree that name level, when the progression flattens and the XP progression tends to become linear, is a reasonable threshold for high level.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
The way 3.x plays out, to my mind it feels like 9th to 13th is high level play and 14th to 20th is functional "epic".

Above 20th is dysfunctional "epic" ;).

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I'm assuming based on the OP's thread title, he is talking about 1st edition AD&D. So those of you posting about 3.0/3.5 didn't even bother to read the thread title, but still felt interested enough to post? Anyway...

In AD&D, I think it can depend a lot upon how the DM allocates magic items to the characters. But actually creating the characters is a pretty straightforward process at every level. In AD&D, you don't have a lot of choices to make. Most of them are already made for you. You get to pick starting spells if you are a magic-user/illusionist. You get to pick weapon proficiencies. Other than that there isn't much to do besides roll for hit points and calculate your AC. There are tables for just about everything else.

Creating a magic-user of any level can involve some agonizing decisions though. So the higher you make the level, the more agonizing decisions the magic-user has to make. The DM can make this process easier or harder. It really varies.

Rhun

First Post

I concur. I would consider "Name Level" and above to be high level in 1E AD&D.

JohnRL

Explorer
I agree that name level, when the progression flattens and the XP progression tends to become linear, is a reasonable threshold for high level.

Same here. In AD&D as you progress the only things that require more work are the memorised spells and the magic equipment. Some classes (paladins, druids, monks in 1E, rangers in 2E) gain more abilities as they go up in level, but these are fixed and can be looked up in the respective PHBs.
However, in 3E the skills and feats add several levels of complexity, and - particularly with feats that build on each other - building an effective PC becomes very complicated.

Remove ads