D&D General What is D&D? A Universal Definition

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
This is one of those “fun facts” that is, in fact, not factual.
Yep. Already corrected by me:
Actually, not true. Most of our cells regenerate in that cycle, but certain cells in our bodies have much longer life cycles, and some stay with us for the rest of our lives. Heart muscle cells, brain cells, and other more vital parts of our bodies are not replaced every 7 years.

(Just making a quick correction to a well-spread myth. Carry on, and I mean no offense)

GSHamster

Adventurer
You can look at it from the opposite direction. What can you remove from D&D and immediately have it be "not D&D"?

For example, if you remove levels, or classes, from the game, I think most people would immediately label the result as "not D&D". So I think that levels and classes are core to D&D.

Other things I don't think you can remove:
  • Dice as the resolution mechanic (not sure if you could substitute a different dice for the d20)
  • The DM/GM
  • Magic
  • Ability to have multiple players (a game that does not allow more than 2 players, like tournament Magic:the Gathering, is not D&D).
  • Players can create and name their own character

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I am already having visions of an Artificial Intelligence designing a D&D edition for me according to our groups personal preferences!

I'm sorry Haldrik, I'm afraid I can't do that.

HAL_Space_Odyssey_sings_daisy_300px.gif

Shiroiken

Legend
D&D is whatever I SAY it is! :cool:

In all seriousness, each edition change has had an extreme impact on the game, with the possible exception of AD&D 1E to AD&D 2E (which just had a large impact). In reality, most of them could easily be considered their own game, rather than an edition change of an existing game.

OD&D and B/X are the same game, with the latter being simply a refinement of the rules for easier introduction.

BECMI was originally just an introduction (levels 1-3) that would teach new players game concepts so they can go play either OD&D or AD&D. However, the concepts introduced were popular enough that it expanded into its own edition (and even its own setting of Mystara).

AD&D 1E and 2E were basically the same game with a bit of mechanical clean up between them. IME many groups used a mixture of rules from both editions together to customize it.

3E and 4E are completely different from anything before, and both created edition wars because of it. I think that 3E was a necessary change, correcting a LOT of the problems AD&D suffered from, but they introduced new ones. I think 4E was a descent system, but using it under the D&D brand to was too divisive due to the radical differences. Several people I know feel that 4E's failure was less a mechanical issue, and more a PR issue, with it being more successful under a different name.

5E is different, in that it actually draws AD&D, 3E, and 4E together. It has many of the best mechanics of 3E and 4E, while keeping the simplicity and enjoyment of AD&D's DM intensive rule structure. Groups can focus on various aspects they prefer, and the system if greatly customizable, with homebrew, houserules, and 3PP easily adapted into the game. This is the only edition that doesn't actually stand on its own, but rather has built itself upon the success of prior editions.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So I think that levels and classes are core to D&D.

Other things I don't think you can remove:
  • Dice as the resolution mechanic (not sure if you could substitute a different dice for the d20)
  • The DM/GM
  • Magic

It could be age/edition thing but I still consider 3d6 to be more iconic to D&D than D20. So yes you can definitely substitute a different dice mechanic in the DnD game. I'd agree though that dice mechanic is a really big part of the feel of the game, but that can be said about most RPGs (bar those with weird card or iceless systems)

In other words saying that DnD needs dice doesn't really define anything because just like magic spells and a GM they aren't D&D exclusives. (If you had said Vancian magic the argument may have been different, but then non-Vancian spell casting might work too.

• Ability to have multiple players (a game that does not allow more than 2 players, like tournament Magic:the Gathering, is not D&D).
  • Players can create and name their own character

Monopoly allows you to have more than 2 players and I've played Euchre with 20 people. Neither of those are DnD either. It also brings up the issue is the DnD boardgames D&D?

Remove ads