What is, in your opinion, the single WORST RPG ever made, and why is it so bad?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I get that people don't like, say, PbtA games or Burning Wheel or a ton of other games, but they aren't in the same universe as Spawn of Fashan or Synnibarr. By the way, to check the spelling of Fashan, I did a google search and found there's a 40th anniversary edition you can order now.
Yeah. When I read that AW, GURPS or AD&D are "The Worst Game Ever", I just shake my head. I mean, whatever, tastes are tastes, but it seems to me that instead of answering the OP, a lot of people are just attacking popular games that they don't like.

Given some of those skill names, it seems like a fair bit of the explanation is meant to be found in the Classic Traveller rulebooks!
Ah, so there is where to look it up?
Reminds me of my problem when I did my own D&D 4 based Star Wars system (which I actually used at the virtual game table with my group) or my 4E based Arcana Unearthed game (which I not sure I'll ever use, despite all the work spend on it): Since I based it on something else that everyone in my group then was already familiar with, I simply omitted describing some things.
If I ever wanted to "publish" this on some internet site or something however, it feels I need to get that done. But that feels like work, so nah...
But I woudn't have the audacity to actually sell people printed rulebooks with that...

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Yeah. When I read that AW, GURPS or AD&D are "The Worst Game Ever", I just shake my head. I mean, whatever, tastes are tastes, but it seems to me that instead of answering the OP, a lot of people are just attacking popular games that they don't like.
Sure, but most of us don't have experience with things like Spawn of Fashan or many of the really execrable attempts at publishing a game. So, if we're going to deem something "The Worst Game Ever" and list why, it's gotta be in our experiences. And for most of us, that probably means a game that really isn't the worst ever published, but one that did well enough for us to get pulled into a game of it by some other GM or that we spotted and bought ourselves. And that changes the bounds of "worst game ever" to "worst game we've ever had personal experience with".

Thomas Shey

Legend

I'll admit I've sometimes brought up games that I just thought had serious problems rather than "the worst ever"; probably that's because I developed a sense for really bad early and avoided them, so I don't have the context to bring them up.

I do think at least one poster upthread showed the sort of bashing that we could do without; even games I dislike strongly I don't think it'd be useful to call "trash".

I think there are a few things at play here:

First, I think most people haven't played many genuinely awful RPGs. Sure, maybe you hear about them, but played them? So sometimes the only point of reference you have for "bad" is "didn't like".

By way of example, the TTRPGs I've played in the 21st century are D&D (3.X, 4e, and 5e), Star Wars d20, and PF1. In the 80s and 90s I played B/X D&D, AD&D 2e, RIFTS, GURPS, Shadowrun, and WEG Star Wars.
  • I would say I didn't much care for either GURPS or RIFTS, although I played so little of either (and it's been longer ago than I care to think about since I did play them!) that I'd be wary to actually call them "bad" games.
  • I do also think that the d20 system is a misfit for Star Wars, but again I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say it was a "bad" game. (Ironically, one of the issues with the game, the way force-users are so dominant, is entirely in line with Star Wars lore!)
  • I enjoyed playing AD&D 2e at the time, but I daresay I wouldn't these days. Not sure I'd be prepared to call it a "bad" game, although I would be prepared to say its tonal and mechanical mismatch hold it back from greatness.
In any event, I've certainly not played a game with a reputation similar to Synnibarr's!

Second, oftentimes the reason one doesn't like an RPG is because of some genuine problems with it, even if they don't rise to making the game as a whole "bad". The skills in the Aliens RPG cited in post 268 springs to mind. To my mind, that is a real problem with the game, regardless of how good or bad the rest of the game is.

Third, which somewhat relates to the first point, as I noted previously,
it [is] often hard to discern the difference between "this game is actually bad" and "I just don't like this game" as an individual person.
For instance, @Theory of Games is, to my mind, quite plainly not discerning the difference between "do not like" and "is actually bad" in at least some examples in post 292. (I would say post 292 is a perfect example of the kind of behaviour @Aldarc is protesting against.)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
For instance, @Theory of Games is, to my mind, quite plainly not discerning the difference between "do not like" and "is actually bad" in at least some examples in post 292. (I would say post 292 is a perfect example of the kind of behaviour @Aldarc is protesting against.)
Oh, I dunno about that. While criticizing the attitude and premise isn't the same as the OP's looking for worst mechanics, I think they can definitely contribute to the "worst (in their experience)" rpg. And certainly some PbtA games have toxic attitude (largely toward other games in the industry) incorporated into them that can be significantly off-putting.

And not being able to create your own heroes in Marvel Heroic Role Playing would be a deal-breaker to a lot of potential players, myself included. I've owned games like DC Adventures (M&M3) and TSR's Marvel Super Heroes. But I've never particularly wanted to play a canonical character as much as I've wanted to play my own hero alongside them in their setting.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Apocalypse World (and games 'powered by' including 'forged in the dark'): Utter TRASH.
  • Why do people make fun of Uncle Gary's "High-Gygaxian" but no one points out Baker's uber-pretentious tone in AW? 'Play to see what happens!" Really? No sh*t. Like everytime anyone anywhere has ever played a game we were ALWAYS playing to see what happened. Baker even out-peacocked White Wolf's narcissistic narrative style
To preface, I've really enjoyed the system--I'm running MotW and am in a Masks game, although I've never actually played AW. I will point out that the second/revised edition, Burned Over, is far different and a lot of that pretentious tone was removed entirely. They completely dropped the F word, as far as I can tell.

For the "play to see what happens" phrase, well, what it means, at least partially, is that PtbA games are "supposed" to be sandbox games, not adventures with a specific goal in mind. Here are situations, but it's up to the players to do whatever the heck they want. Would it be nice if the games were written with phrases like "sandbox" in mind? Yes, but let's face it, many RPGs are written as if it's the first game you've ever played and have no knowledge of typical gamer jargon. It's why nearly every game I've seen has rules on how to read the dice, or even what polyhedral dice are.

• The "Let's become BFFLs in a post-apocalyptic hellscape" makes zero sense
To be fair, that's pretty common in a lot of post-apocalypse settings--and in a lot of settings in general. Sure, you can have a game where all the PCs are from the same settlement, but it often seems like they meet each other on the road and join up, even if they have no reason to, because it's not a solo game. The characters are supposed to work together, and most of the time, this means they become friends, or at least learn to understand each other really weell.

• Moves. Tabletop rpgs are really fun because we can play any kind of character in any kind of setting and do just about anything we want as that character. They're simultaneously insane and therapeutic. 'Moves' change how we RP by saying "OK in this situation you can do X or Y or maybe Z but that's it. No you can't do things the other characters can do because your class playbook limits you to X, Y and maybe Z. The spotlight is now on your character! Everyone is watching! Aaaaaand ACTION!" This is "The Theater Kids RPG". You just read the pre-written lines explained in your Moves and you now get to pretend you're roleplaying. The whole scheme of how the game is designed makes me nauseous.
The biggest problem in PtbW games (IME) is that it doesn't do a good job explaining this, because this reading is pretty incorrect but the games generally don't do a good job of explaining why it's incorrect, and a lot of the players don't seem to be able to properly verbalize why it's incorrect either. It becomes fairly obvious what it means as you play, though, so I'll see if I can explain it. I'm using Monster of the Week for my examples here, since that's what I'm running.

See, you're not supposed to read the pre-written lines. What happens is, in the course of normal play, things will happen, and a lot of the time, these things are predictable. In D&D, for instance, the characters meet are on the trail of the monster and want to know if they know anything about it (especially weaknesses), and either they or the DM will call for Arcana or Nature or Religion checks, depending on what sort of monster it is. 3.x often had had possible results of those checks written into some of the monster's statblock; Level Up has them for nearly every monster.

Now, with moves, they're (for the most part) are not supposed to be things you just call for. You don't just say "OK, roll Arcana" and see what the PC just happens to know (this happens quite a bit in the D&D games I've played in or run). Instead, the players are supposed to Investigate A Mystery by going to the library, interviewing witnesses, examining the murder scenes, consulting their journal of monster notes, etc., and are supposed to RP that in some manner. They then can roll that move--in this case, by rolling +Sharp. Moves activate when they're triggered--when something comes up in play that allows them to be used. Like Reactions in D&D.

Depending on how they roll, they can ask one or two of the questions on the list. This is where you're tripping up, and I can definitely see why because it seems very limiting. My very first instinct upon reading the move was to let people ask anything. But in reality, you only roll this move during a time crunch. The monster is coming, the countdown is ticking, people are dying, you don't have time to spend hours or days in research to learn everything there is to know about the monster, plus the monster is only leaving behind a limited amount of evidence (MotW is modern day supernatural where most people don't believe monsters exist, not fantasy where everyone knows they do). If you're having a month of downtime between adventures and one of the players says "I want to learn everything about kelpies," then they don't have to roll--they just need access to the appropriate sources of knowledge. But in the adventure, they have a limited amount of time and evidence, so the PCs can only find out a few things. (Plus, they can roll more than once during the mystery, when they come across new information or interview new witnesses.)

Now, say one of the players is an Expert with the Dark Past move, which means they likely have some personal experience with the monster at hand. To trigger that move, the player has to trawl through your memories for something relevant to the case at hand. At which point they gain a little more information than they might get with a mere Investigate a Mystery roll--but at the same time, it also means that they were somehow connected to, or responsible for, for the events that are currently going on. Hence the term "Dark Past." This is common for this genre, after all. This puts the spotlight on the character and allows them to tell their story more, and brings their background into the foreground, and means that the Keeper then has to incorporate that Dark Past into the setting in a way.

Does this help at all?

niklinna

satisfied?
I don't think it's impossible for games to actually be badly designed, even if they have people who like them. The ET Atari game springs to mind. So does the recent Gollum game. (Personally, I would also count Monopoly as such a game as well.)
I had and played the ET Atari game. It wasn't badly designed; it was badly implemented. I had no problem with the gameplay as such, but I can still recall after all these years how dang fiddly it was with the levitating out of the pits. You had to be in the exact right spot to begin, and if you weren't or if you drifted too soon then plop you'd go back in the pit, over and over. It was maddening. But the general loop of play was no worse than the Superman or Adventure games of the same time, and I played those for hours upon hours.

Monopoly, I got no comment on!

That said, with few exceptions (such as the games excluded from consideration in the OP), it often hard to discern the difference between "this game is actually bad" and "I just don't like this game" as an individual person. I think these kinds of discussions are helpful as long as the participants are willing to keep this kind of distinction in mind.
Word.

Faolyn

(she/her)
But when I couldn't get out of playing Candy Land, I basically turned it into a role-playing game, with not non-played colors acting like cheer-leaders on the side, making up back stories and narrating the what the charaters (I mean "pieces") saw when they landed on a square. Sneaking in homemade cards with stupid, cheating rules just to keep the kids on their toes.
Apparently my mother stacked the deck so I would never go backwards.

Remove ads