D&D 5E What is Iymrith's full plan? (spoilers for Storm King's Thunder)

Davelozzi

Explorer
And Iymrith doesn't even change her name when she's disguised as a giant, so any player who thinks "oh, *that* Iymrith!" will immediately work out the twist during play anyway.

That definitely seemed like an oversight. I'm figuring on her using a false name as a giant when I get to that point in my upcoming campaign. Are most folks using the same name for both?

pukunui

Legend
I assume there are still ways for the gods to indicate really important things to their worshippers other than physically manifesting, though - visions, strange portents, etc...
Of course! Dreams, visions, omens, prophecies, etc. The nice thing about doing it this way is that it leaves a god's wishes open to (mis)interpretation. You can have a character receive a message from a deity but then no one believes them when they go around talking about it. It's less of a deus ex machina and more of a story beat - the players know what their PCs saw/heard, but now they have to put in the effort to convince the NPCs.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
And Iymrith doesn't even change her name when she's disguised as a giant, so any player who thinks "oh, *that* Iymrith!" will immediately work out the twist during play anyway.
I gave Iymrith a false name. It's just way too ridiculous to think that the storm giants wouldn't know of her. She's an ancient blue dragon, for Pete's sake. And the players are likely to have seen "Iymrith's Lair" on the overland map. If that doesn't set off alarm bells...

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
That definitely seemed like an oversight. I'm figuring on her using a false name as a giant when I get to that point in my upcoming campaign. Are most folks using the same name for both?

Her "giant name" was Masella when the PCs met her in the court in my group's game. It didn't matter. They figured her out in less than two encounters across two game sessions.

Motorskills

Explorer
Would you consider that a spoiler? I'm happy to change it if you're serious but I don't say anything about what the plan is (or even whose 'side' Iymrith is on). Most of the major NPCs have plans, including the giant lords, the daughters, the dragons and Slarkrethel. And Iymrith doesn't even change her name when she's disguised as a giant, so any player who thinks "oh, *that* Iymrith!" will immediately work out the twist during play anyway.

I am serious, but I think the criticality will vary wildly from group to group. But one is enough, right? :)

IMC, Iymrith is only referred to as The Doom of the Desert, and hasn't been active for an age (unlike her kids / grandkids).

However Felgolos keeps dropping her name to the party (I'll be using JValeur's product to strengthen the link here.

But as others have pointed out, as much as I love this product there are huge holes / flaws in it, including not having a Player-only version of the region map that can be downloaded.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Yeah, a player map would be key for sure. You can buy the Sword Coast map from SCAG as a download direct from Mike Schley's site, and that's a start, but it doesn't have a lot of the sites that I would want on there from th SKT version.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Bullroarer_Took

First Post
I gave Iymrith the motivation that her eggs were destroyed by giants. She is too old to lay anymore eggs so her chances at creating offspring are gone. Because of this, she resorts to spreading her bloodline through the creation of her half-dragon sorcerer and her own cult, which is made up of the offspring of her half-dragon and various other dragon-blooded humanoids.

Her plot is to get the giants and the small-folk to turn on each other and sew destruction throughout the cities of faerun, hoping to ultimately get the powerful factions of small-folk to defeat and humiliate the giants. Removing Hekaton is an essential part of the plan in order to sew discord and chaos throughout giant-kin.

What she doesn't know is that her eggs weren't destroyed by Giants, it was just made to look that way by Klauth, who steals dragon eggs to perform a ritual to extend his own life.

Hopefully these ideas help add some color and depth to the villain Iymrith in your campaign!

Retreater

Legend
I had her be a good aligned copper dragon possessed by duergar magic when the leader of the duergar needed eyes on the surface world, attempting to spread chaos.
My group ended up not getting on that stupid flying tower because they had just seen a town destroyed by flying giants (so why trust this one?)
Since it was the only explanation of story in the whole campaign, I ended up making my own (that was IMO better than the confusing, unclear mess in the adventure that forced you to skip huge chunks of the module as written.)

Remove ads