D&D 5E What is one hp of damage in real life?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Context dependent. If you’re at half HP or more after the damage: a near miss that you had to expend a small amount of energy to avoid. If you’re at half HP or less after the damage: A minor but visible injury like a nick or a bruise. If you’re at 0 HP after the damage: a direct, potentially fatal hit.

I mean 1 hp of damage can bring to dying a character with 150 hp.
So 1 point of damage can be a lethal blow, or like you said walking on a lego.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I mean 1 hp of damage can bring to dying a character with 150 hp.
So 1 point of damage can be a lethal blow, or like you said walking on a lego.

An unarmed punch, from a normal person, is 1 pt of damage. So if someone is holding onto the bleeding wound, still standing and trying not to pass out, an unarmed punch could be the thing to finally drop the guy and cause him to bleed out.

Think of how many times in a video game, during the cutscene the bad guy lands that final punch to your face, where you then pass out and wake up in a completely different place.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
An unarmed punch, from a normal person, is 1 pt of damage. So if someone is holding onto the bleeding wound, still standing and trying not to pass out, an unarmed punch could be the thing to finally drop the guy and cause him to bleed out.

Think of how many times in a video game, during the cutscene the bad guy lands that final punch to your face, where you then pass out and wake up in a completely different place.
Reading all the posts about One Punch like

Bored One Punch Man GIF

Stalker0

Legend
Well just remember that official science has "proven" that the average human has 9 hp, to provide some context on what 1 HP represents :)

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Its whatever damage needed to kill a hawk.

And, thus, you have a 75% chance to kill the equivalence of 2 birds with 1 stone assuming you have 10 strength and the DM rules a stone as an improvised weapon.

Edit: Turned 50% to 75% because I must have been too tired for simple probability the first time.

Last edited:

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I guess I am thinking about this from the perspective that this is 1 HP damage from full.

That whiff of air that is caused by a weapon or projectile passing close by.
That feeling you get when the bat or whatever you are holding causes a vibration or stinging sensation down your arms.
That first surge of adrenaline or first bead of sweat.

Nothing really physically happened to you, but you are now clearly aware you are in the stuff now.

I agree, and even without bleeding, professional Boxer are sent once in while to the hospital by a single final blow. We can also imagine stepping on a lego, loose balance fall on the ground and snap our neck and get killed or paralyzed. That’s also happen in real life.

Remove ads