D&D 5E What is Quality?

it's not just about popularity it's about year after year growth that we would not see if 5E was not doing a good job at it's target purpose of entertainment.
but could this be do to multi poplar shows showcaseing D&D and it being the only house hold name TTRPG during the only lockdown/contagion in history since TTRPG came out?
-

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Here is an article talking about the growth of (non-video) gaming in general over the past few years. It specifically mentions D&D amongst other IPs.

I have long said that you can't take the growth of 5e and translate that to some magical formula of design choices when the entire industry it is a part of is growing right along side of it.

Oofta

Legend
but could this be do to multi poplar shows showcaseing D&D and it being the only house hold name TTRPG during the only lockdown/contagion in history since TTRPG came out?
-
The streams draw in a fraction of the number of people playing (now estimated at 10 million by WOTC). There are also streams for other game systems. Mercer's game started as a 1-shot in 4E, switched to Pathfinder for their home game and then switched to 5E for their stream. CR has also done 1-shots in other game systems.

Seems like most popular streams are using D&D because it's what people play and show interest in to me, not the other way around.

Aldarc

Legend
but could this be do to multi poplar shows showcaseing D&D and it being the only house hold name TTRPG during the only lockdown/contagion in history since TTRPG came out? -
There were a number of factors outside of the game's qualities that helped boost its sales (e.g., '80s retro, Critical Role, Stranger Things, etc.). D&D 5e and TTRPGs also benefited from the preceding Board Game Renaissance, which brought a number of people into hobby shops and caused a number of board gamers to also look at TTRPGs. It was part of the whole "Why are milennials playing board games rather than going out drinking at bars?" and such.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
All fine, up to this point. But, here's where we have to be careful.

Survivor bias is what happens to your data when the population you sample has been filtered by some process. Like the position of bullet holes is the data, the population are bombers, and the process was going on sorties over enemy territory in wartime.

So, in order for selection bias to apply, we should have data, the population the data has been gathered from, and the potential filtering process.

We have seen people assert conclusions - I have seen bless all of anyone even vaguely attempting to take data from any population.
The point was made in response the the comment I quoted, which was exactly an attempt to infer quality through the process of people using a product. I'm not sure how your objection applies, here.

Remove ads