D&D 5E What is REALLY wrong with the Wizard? (+)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The only "problems with the wizard" that you've described and that I've actually seen at the table are too large of a spell list and cantrips are an issue. Agree 100%.

Of course, neither of these problems are unique to the Wizard class, though. They're just as problematic in the other spellcasters, IMO. And moreso with the Warlock.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Absolutely. But you can't arrange that short of narrative controls, what with free will and all.
Also thanks to unlimited cantrip casting there's no longer casters leaning on martials & plinking optimistically with a sling/xbow/crappy low level wand with N charges in fights that don't require a lot of control/blasting/etc

You know, I love that archetype of the one-man-army fighter, but you don't really see them in situations that also include a fantasy wizard in situations where the wizard isn't  clearly being narratively restrained. That kind of fighter really needs to shine alone.

What are some non-D&D examples of D&D like high level wizards? extreme versaility, power, with little cost? If they are restrained for the entire 'campaign' (maybe Gandalf?) then the class would be restrained angel or whatever and not angel/D&D wizard.

I always have a hard time thinking of examples outside supers which I think is part of the issue.

Hulk/Thor like mythic martials stand alongside Dr. Strange ok.

But most fantasy "teams" seem to have slightly less mythic martials with very powerful but severly contrained spellcasters.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
What are some non-D&D examples of D&D like high level wizards? extreme versaility, power, with little cost? If they are restrained for the entire 'campaign' (maybe Gandalf?) then the class would be restrained angel or whatever and not angel/D&D wizard.

I always have a hard time thinking of examples outside supers which I think is part of the issue.

But most fantasy "teams" seem to have slightly less mythic martials with very powerful but severly contrained spellcasters.
True, D&D wizards just aren't that prevalent in other media; the closest is probably Doctor Strange. But they are a thing in D&D and need to be dealt with on that basis.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter

Most fantasy Wizards can do anything unless they can't, lol.

Even if they claim to not be able to do something because of "da rulz", you can be sure someone in the story will do something "impossible" to flex their power and style on lesser casters.

Examples include: spellcasters from David Eddings books like Belgarath, spellcasters from The Wheel of Time (we're told there's stuff men can do that women can't, but it's a bit shaky; the main problem with using magic is men go crazy), spellcasters from The Sword of Truth (technically, some Wizards can only "add" or "subtract" things with magic, but there's a lot of clever workarounds, and there are characters who can do both), and, of course, Wizards from the Harry Potter 'verse, who can learn any number of spells, even make their own spells, and can fire off spell after spell without seeming to get tired (with masters being able to use spells without incantations or even wands!).

There are exceptions, like Skeeve from Myth Adventures, who has a limited repertoire of spells, but has a lot of practice at using them, and occasionally runs low on "magic juice" to power them. OTOH, the only thing really stopping him from learning new spells is time (which his life gives him precious short amounts of).

I'd mention Rincewind from Discworld, who is a really terrible "Wizzard", but he has other things going on for him.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Most fantasy Wizards can do anything unless they can't, lol.

Even if they claim to not be able to do something because of "da rulz", you can be sure someone in the story will do something "impossible" to flex their power and style on lesser casters.

Examples include: spellcasters from David Eddings books like Belgarath, spellcasters from The Wheel of Time (we're told there's stuff men can do that women can't, but it's a bit shaky; the main problem with using magic is men go crazy), spellcasters from The Sword of Truth (technically, some Wizards can only "add" or "subtract" things with magic, but there's a lot of clever workarounds, and there are characters who can do both), and, of course, Wizards from the Harry Potter 'verse, who can learn any number of spells, even make their own spells, and can fire off spell after spell without seeming to get tired (with masters being able to use spells without incantations or even wands!).

There are exceptions, like Skeeve from Myth Adventures, who has a limited repertoire of spells, but has a lot of practice at using them, and occasionally runs low on "magic juice" to power them. OTOH, the only thing really stopping him from learning new spells is time (which his life gives him precious short amounts of).

I'd mention Rincewind from Discworld, who is a really terrible "Wizzard", but he has other things going on for him.
Most of those stories also show magic-users as clearly superior to non magic-users.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Most of those stories also show magic-users as clearly superior to non magic-users.
Oh sorry, was that something we needed an example of? I thought I was looking for examples of powerful Wizards akin to D&D Wizards.

If you need an example of powerful Wizards who can be beat by swords, Chronicles of Amber; sure, a Sorcerer like Merlin can prepare tons of powerful spells, but it takes a lot of time, and he's still terrified of someone like his Uncle Benedict, who has mastered every form of combat and could carve him like a turkey before he could get a single spell off.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Wizards get more good stuff every level. Fighters don’t. Slots, spells known, spells prepared every level and higher level spells every other level and increasing saves even on their lowest level spells vs extra attack every 5ish levels and then 9 more till the 4th.

Fighters IMO can start off in a better place - more durable, much higher damage output if you pick a race that grants a feat and take a damage feat at level 1. But that headstart eventually fades to wizards incremental power increases. A good DM can make them equals longer with judicious handing out of magic items, but even then the wizard will almost absolutely pull ahead eventually. That said most Wizards don’t abuse the really broken stuff - either by lack of knowledge or self restraint - so chances are good that most players in actual games won’t find wizards that much powerful than fighters.

If I were to reign in wizards it would be by rewriting their most broken spells and then find a way that lower level control spells didn’t scale their saving throws as well. Possibly a rule that replaced proficiency bonus scaling with, you gain the spells level or slot if upcast to your save dc up to your proficiency bonus.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I also think a rule variant for a campaign that features mostly shorter adventuring days where spell slots get lowered. Maybe half rounded up. That also could be a decent lever.

In longer adventuring days I think we are fine with slots as they are.

Remove ads