D&D 5E What is REALLY wrong with the Wizard? (+)

Yeah, since silver weapons work against them, I didn't even bother with them.

Powerful creatures which even have resistance to non-magical weapons still typically rely on magic or magical features to make them actually powerful IME. There might be a few exceptions, but none I can think of offhand.
Higher level Fiends like Pit Fiends and Balors can ruin days pretty well without using magic. Though Pit Fiends have the same problem as Lycanthropes, in that they have weakness to silvered weapons. Not Balors though, they have resistance to non magical damage.

Hell, a decent amount of extraplanar creatures have resistance to nonmagical damage. Most Demons do, most Yugoloths also have it, Elementals (but not genies because ??????), incorporeal undead like Ghosts, higher level Fey, and other miscellaneous things like that. Granted, most of that is Resistance and not Immunity, but it still helps them survive, and a lot of them can still decently go toe to toe with the more martial members of the party at their CR even without magic, which would leave the squishy casters in a world of pain. I'm remembering that one Order of the Stick strip where the elf wizard went off to fight a dragon, which proceeded to cast Anti-Magic field and gloat about how the wizard just ended up being a squishy monkey while the dragon was still a dragon.

But again, this is all going back to setting up an anti-magic field in the fights where the Wizard would stomp it without a second thought. For one, setting up that many magical dead zones is just lame and reeks of "I'm specifically targeting this one party member" which is a really good way to get that player (and the others, probably) upset with you and it also is just a dumb way of doing things. Like imagine if the Fighter started being a problem on this level, so before every major fight where they could be a problem, you threw a bunch of Rust Monsters at the party and had them focus exclusively on the Fighter. That's just dumb and lame.

Anti-magic would also shut down other classes, which are not nearly as overwhelming. You also should not have to build so much of a campaign around the specific classes in use. This is especially a problem if you use published works. We don't need every dungeon to be flooded with old school thought eaters.
Well, anti magic does not effect the mundane characters that much, nowhere near as much as the spellcasters.

Yes, Wizards have weak spots, especially in 5e where they have taken good measures to nerf that class down to more acceptable levels, but any smart wizard player will have taken measures to either mitigate those weak spots or remove them entirely.
And a smart, crafty, savvy, DM can counter the counter measures: that is part of the point. The DM will make things diffulcult for the wizard player, not impossible. Some of the time, maybe most of the time the player might be able to counter or at least lessen things. But not all the time, and not without cost.

D&D is a team game,
So you admit to doing things to the players of mundane characters, but would never consider doing anything to the wizard? That ranger player can just sit there, but not the wizard player, why exactly?

And then I'd guess you'd be fine with the wizard player hogging the spotlight and easily overcoming most challenges, right? Is it still a team game when they wizard player does that? Why do they get a free pass?

Actually that does sound like a cool idea, the players fall into a long-sealed cavern where magic doesn't work, and they have to flee a lich who is trapped down there...but while cinematic, I've never found "chase scenes" to work out right in an actual game.
Actually, Curse of Strahd had something like this in it.

In one of the areas, you could encounter essentially a senile Lich. It had 3/4th's of their normal hit points or so, and had only it's cantrips prepared, but it was still a CR 10 creature, which wouldn't be something you'd want to mess with around then.

And a smart, crafty, savvy, DM can counter the counter measures: that is part of the point. The DM will make things diffulcult for the wizard player, not impossible. Some of the time, maybe most of the time the player might be able to counter or at least lessen things. But not all the time, and not without cost.
But then it just becomes an arms race between the Wizard player and the DM while the other players at the table end up twiddling their thumbs.

Y'know, that thing that people end up hating rolling for stats for, and the best argument against it?

But then it just becomes an arms race between the Wizard player and the DM while the other players at the table end up twiddling their thumbs.

Y'know, that thing that people end up hating rolling for stats for, and the best argument against it?
Well, no,if done right that wizard player just sits there and the OTHER players take the spotlight and overcome the problem. Like anything complicated it takes time to learn and master, but it is worth it.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It doesn't really matter, I mean, even if the Lich can't use his spell attacks or spells, he still has his paralyzing touch and you can't kill him, no matter what you do!
Not true. If a party has decent equipment, you can grapple the lich and burn it to (un-)death with torches, a tactic employed during one of the Vecna battles. They burn nicely and without magic have a horrible time escaping the grapple. :D

Actually that does sound like a cool idea, the players fall into a long-sealed cavern where magic doesn't work, and they have to flee a lich who is trapped down there...but while cinematic, I've never found "chase scenes" to work out right in an actual game.

I'll leave that to a better gamemaster to try. Would be great in a story or video game cutscene though.
Yeah, that would be cool!

Higher level Fiends like Pit Fiends and Balors can ruin days pretty well without using magic. Though Pit Fiends have the same problem as Lycanthropes, in that they have weakness to silvered weapons. Not Balors though, they have resistance to non magical damage.

Hell, a decent amount of extraplanar creatures have resistance to nonmagical damage. Most Demons do, most Yugoloths also have it, Elementals (but not genies because ??????), incorporeal undead like Ghosts, higher level Fey, and other miscellaneous things like that. Granted, most of that is Resistance and not Immunity, but it still helps them survive, and a lot of them can still decently go toe to toe with the more martial members of the party at their CR even without magic, which would leave the squishy casters in a world of pain. I'm remembering that one Order of the Stick strip where the elf wizard went off to fight a dragon, which proceeded to cast Anti-Magic field and gloat about how the wizard just ended up being a squishy monkey while the dragon was still a dragon.
Resistance is immaterial really, which is why we were specifically discussing immunity. A full party of 20th level PCs will have tons of HP for such a creature to try to burn through, and will collectively have a very good chance of destroying it before they are themselves defeated.

Dragons, with their breath weapons being non-magical, would be the greatest overall threat in an anti-magic area IMO.

But again, this is all going back to setting up an anti-magic field in the fights where the Wizard would stomp it without a second thought. For one, setting up that many magical dead zones is just lame and reeks of "I'm specifically targeting this one party member" which is a really good way to get that player (and the others, probably) upset with you and it also is just a dumb way of doing things. Like imagine if the Fighter started being a problem on this level, so before every major fight where they could be a problem, you threw a bunch of Rust Monsters at the party and had them focus exclusively on the Fighter. That's just dumb and lame.
While I am not advocating a lot of magic-dead zones, even so it isn't targeting one party member. Many classes have spellcasting or magical features which would be nulled (Channel Divinity, Wild Shape, Smites, etc.), and many subclasses have magical features as well.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Well, anti magic does not effect the mundane characters that much, nowhere near as much as the spellcasters.

So you admit to doing things to the players of mundane characters, but would never consider doing anything to the wizard? That ranger player can just sit there, but not the wizard player, why exactly?

And then I'd guess you'd be fine with the wizard player hogging the spotlight and easily overcoming most challenges, right? Is it still a team game when they wizard player does that? Why do they get a free pass?
Wait, what? What have I done to "mundane" characters that I wouldn't do to a wizard? I used the wind wall example as something I wouldn't do with any degree of regularity. I'm a firm believer in Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use.

If the Wizard is problematic, making it more annoying to play one isn't the answer. That either leads to one of four scenarios.
  • The disruptive munchkin ignores it, argues it, or forces the rest of the group to suffer through it. His power remains the same, and he gets more annoying to play with.
  • The inappropriate powergamer figures out how to circumvent the restriction. His power remains the same.
  • The reasonable player either figures out how to circumvent the restriction (rendering it moot), avoids the class (turning it into a ban) or suffers through it. His power remains the same and/or his enjoyment goes down.
  • The new player avoids the class or suffers through it. His enjoyment goes down.

Resistance is immaterial really, which is why we were specifically discussing immunity. A full party of 20th level PCs will have tons of HP for such a creature to try to burn through, and will collectively have a very good chance of destroying it before they are themselves defeated.

Dragons, with their breath weapons being non-magical, would be the greatest overall threat in an anti-magic area IMO.
With how rare non-energy damage immunity is, I think it's ultimately pointless to talk about it in regards to this sort of thing.

Same with Level 20 parties, really. Too rare, and ultimately, if you aren't some flavor of overpowered at 20th level, then you might need to seek out a less brain intensive hobby.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Worth noting that the nomagical immunity is only to bludgeoning, piercing and slashing attacks, usually. Fall damage still works, so would burning oil or acid, so those are options they could have as well, although to burn a monster's hp with those would take a while.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
With how rare non-energy damage immunity is, I think it's ultimately pointless to talk about it in regards to this sort of thing.

Same with Level 20 parties, really. Too rare, and ultimately, if you aren't some flavor of overpowered at 20th level, then you might need to seek out a less brain intensive hobby.
Then there is no point in bringing up creatures like Pit Fiends or Balors if you aren't talking at least tier 4 PCs. ;)

Non-magical damage immunity IS (and was) the issue. Resistance is not really a big issue IME since PCs can deal so much damage really. YMMV, of course. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads