D&D 5E What is REALLY wrong with the Wizard? (+)

ECMO3

Hero
It comes down to a few things. One, it messes with bounded accuracy by allowing you to boost your AC by a huge amount for 1 round. That's not a big deal at low levels, but it doesn't take long before you have a lot of level 1 slots and you're now doing much of substance with them, so there's really no cost to loading up on Shields.

Two, it basically can take away a monster's turn as a reaction. It's generally only used when you would take a hit, and then you not only turn that into a miss retroactively, the +5 AC has a good chance to turn off their other attacks as well. Most enemies want to target your AC, and this means that Shield can be better than Counterspell, especially since it protects against OTHER enemies attacking you.

And then there's just the general hatred some DM's have for being told "um, actually", lol. Messing with their die rolls, forcing rerolls, or simply saying "nuh uh, you miss!" just rubs some people the wrong way (go find a Silvery Barbs debate if you want proof).

And finally, it's easy to get the ability to use Shield even if you're not playing a class that gets it natively.

I'm not defending any of these stances; personally, I have yet to use Shield because I want more mileage out of a spell slot than a one-turn safety net, and I don't have an issue with it, but these are complaints people have. I'm also not going to say my point of view is "correct"; it just doesn't suit my playstyle.

I'd love to go back to Shield just being an AC buff for the combat instead of this weird "counter attacks and oh magic missile too" spell.

You can push the edges of bounded accuracy but you need to build for that if you want to have lots of slots to do it with and there are tradeoffs for that.

I agree with a lot of the rest of that, but don't see it as much of a problem, especially when enemy casters have it too.

One thing I disagree with is that it is always easy to get shield. That depends on the class. It is super easy for a Bard, Paladin or Artificer and pretty easy for a Warlock (although they will not have a lot of slots). It is more difficult to get on more than a once a day cast for most other classes that don't have it on their list. You could design for it with a full or half caster, but you need to either pick specific subclasses or maintain a high intelligence or Charisma. Not terribly difficult, but not automatic either.

I have played other versions of the game and I like the current shield a lot better.

M_Natas

Hero
I think the biggest problem to wizard's (and all casters) in 5e is, that magic doesn't really feel magical. It feels more like reliable science. It always does what you want it to do without failure (wild magic sorcerer, teleport and wish spell the notable exceptions). Also you can't really change it (Order of Scribe the noteable exception). It feels more like Button pushing than magic.
I know that all is part of the fantasy super hero Design, which wouldn't work is msgic was unreliable, but it takes away the mystical aura.
One of the reasons that Harry Dresden ir Harry Potter feel so magical is the unpredictability of magic.

If I would do it from scratch, I would put something like the misshap table of the teleport spell in every spell.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I would say half the Wizards I have seen played get Lemunds Tiny Hut and most of them do not prepare it. So that only leaves them 7 3rd and 4th level spells they can prepare unless they have found magic items, gold and had enough time to scribe more.

That aside, yes you may have a Wizard that does that but I think there are actually more that do the opposite - prepare maybe 3 or 4 3rd and 4th level spells with the rest spent on 1st and 2nd level spells and I would argue this is actually a more powerful build.

Here are a couple examples:

Example 1 (your example): Shield, Absorb Elements, Silvery Barbs, Mage Armor, Misty Step, Fear, Fireball, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Greater Invisibility, Psychic Lance, Evards Tenticles, Polymorph

Example 2 (better): Shield, Absorb Elements, Silvery Barbs, Mage Armor, Protection from Evil and Good, Magic Missle, Tasha's Mind Whip, Suggestion, Misty Step, Counterspell, Fear, Polymoprh

Example 2 is objectively better IMO. The reason is the first example has the best 1st and 2nd level spells in the game but the opportunities to use them may not come up enough to actually use all the slots. Sure you will cast mage armor, you will cast shield every time you are hit, you will cast silvery barbs if you are critted or an enemy fails a save on your crowd pleaser (but you are not casting a lot of them) and you will use misty step if you need to escape something. Basically the first character has some great spells he can cast and then a bunch of conditional spells. The second guy has a LOT more flexibility. Guy #1 has Greater invisibility, one of the best spells in the game, but then he is going to go invisible to spam cantrips!

Will guy 2 miss having fireball? Maybe. Will he miss Psychic Lance? Probably not when you can use Tasha's mind whip on 3 enemies with the same slot and still be able to spam it on single enemies with a 2nd level slot. Will he miss Dispel Magic? Absolutely he will, but he will miss it just as much if he has it prepared and used all his 3rd level slots. Will guy number 2 ever use PEG? I think he has a good chance of it being useful and a significant chance of it being gamebreaking.

Shield is one of my favorite spells in the game. I don't understand the hate.
The game doesn’t end at level 8, that's just the breakeven point where the problem accelerates. It continues on for another several levels where a pc who once made big gains in low level spell slots & prepped low level spells that have been scaling by caster level & are now are just expanding well beyond the tiny number of high level slots they have.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
As someone who hates mishap tables, that sort of punishing fun-killing design would certainly stop me from playing casters.
It's something you should be able to opt into, like Wild Magic. I loved playing Wild Mages, but it's not for every group.

Aldarc

Legend
It's something you should be able to opt into, like Wild Magic. I loved playing Wild Mages, but it's not for every group.
I agree. FWIW, I'm also turned off by the whole magic corrupts the body of the caster. I understand the trope. I'm fine with magic having negative consequences; however, I'm not a fan of body horror. I have passed over many otherwise great games that had that sort of thing.

M_Natas

Hero
As someone who hates mishap tables, that sort of punishing fun-killing design would certainly stop me from playing casters.
But if you don't do it you have the current system where magic doesn't feel magical. It is mundane, reliable and a bit boring.

If magic is 100% reliable and reproducible it is just science.

Aldarc

Legend
But if you don't do it you have the current system where magic doesn't feel magical. It is mundane, reliable and a bit boring.

If magic is 100% reliable and reproducible it is just science.
Honestly, this feels like a false dichotomy, as options exist between and beyond the two postions that you present. I seriously doubt, FWIW, that the only way for magic to feel magical is for magical mishap to exist. In fact, magic feels just as magical in many other fantasy books without such magical mishaps. This doesn't necessarily even require that such characters to feel like superheroes.

I have played in games with magical mishap tables and the like. I can tell you from my own experience is that it didn't make magic feel magical at all to me; instead, it simply made magic feel punishing. Whatever sense of the magical wonder you may imagine exists in such a magic system was completely lost on me.

Moreover, even if magic feels as reliable as science, that is not always a bad thing, especially when it comes to the ability for players to make informed decisions when it comes to playing a game. So it may not actually be a "problem" at all. Indeed, some here would likely consider that a feature rather than a flaw.

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
I think there are two fixes for the wizard, one is easy, the other is more extensive. Full casters all need to drop to lower hit dice. Bring back the d4 for wizards and maybe even d6s for divine casters. Make the tradeoff for all that power a more fragile build and makes martials more important to have around to protect them. Secondly, a total spell level revisit and drop all the old sacred cow spells. Move sleep, charm person, and invisibility, spells up in level and bring down some of the more niche higher-level spells down. Really look at what a 1st level spell should be capable of doing when going up against beginning encounters and build all the rest accordingly. I think some spells should also have different DC rolls to cast depending on function. But basically, all spells need a fresh look and total rewrite. I dont see this happening for 1dnd though but I hope they do.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
And let's not forget, spells are not always 100% reliable. You could miss your spell attack roll. The enemy could make a saving throw or have a resistance or immunity you didn't know about. Or have a reaction ability that counters or lessens it's impact. Or Legendary Resistance.

So there's already uncertainty on many spells you'd want to cast. Then on top of that, let's say there's a 1 in 20 spell mishap roll, where the options are basically "random thing happens, maybe good, maybe bad, maybe useless".

Oh and of course, there's expensive material components as well.

That feels like a lot of uncertainty as to whether or not a spellcaster does anything at all on their turn, and of course, if the spell doesn't work, you're most likely down a spell slot.

Now that's not a unique position for a class to be in, though most classes have some protections; a Battlemaster or Paladin isn't going to waste a resource on a failed attack roll, for example.

The Monk doesn't have these protections, but they regain Ki on a short rest.

Remove ads