D&D 5E What is required to copy a spell into a spellbook?

Galendril

Explorer
The reason it's a question is because it doesn't say that in the PHB. Everything rules the players need to follow should be in the PHB but it's not. If it was a variant rule sure but a regular common thing for a Wizard to do should be in the PHB. Before we had the DMG and only the PHB there would have been no arcana check.

The PHB is for player knowledge. The DMG is for DM's knowledge. Knowledge of a class belongs to the player. However, knowledge of magic items and how they work belong to the DM.

You can play however you wish though.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The reason it's a question is because it doesn't say that in the PHB.

So? It says it in the DMG. If your DM is using the DMG then that is what they should do. Again, the one does not conflict with the other.

Everything rules the players need to follow should be in the PHB but it's not.

Everything the player needs to follow is in the PHB. The player doesn't get to decide when an Arcana or any other ability or skill check is called for. The DM determines when that is necessary.

If it was a variant rule sure but a regular common thing for a Wizard to do should be in the PHB. Before we had the DMG and only the PHB there would have been no arcana check.

Seems rather common sense to me, but no I suppose there would not have been prior to the DMG explicit calling for it.

But, since there is now a DMG with that rule in it and that rule in no way conflicts or contradicts what the PHB says, I continue to fail to see the issue.

Warunsun

First Post
There is nothing "either/or" about these quotes.

PC finds a scroll. Wants to copy it into their spellbook. PC's a wizard. Pretty normal thing to do.

Player rolls an Arcana check.

If it fails, the scroll is ruined. You get no new spell.

If it succeeds, you have shell out 50gp for the special inks and gilding and whatnot that goes into the transcription. And the whole process takes you 2 hours per spell level to complete...the scroll is "used up" in the process and you have it in your spellbook to prepare at your leisure forevermore.

Why is this even a question? They are not contradictory statements.

This is exactly how I am doing it in my Greyhawk campaign. I have also placed two spell books in as treasure. Since wizards tend to have a few common spells in most books (and these enemy wizards were comparable level) it has potentially provided the PC wizard with 2 or 3 new spells in each book. So far he hasn't bothered to scribe them because of the limited spell slots deal. I am treating the spell books just like a collection of scrolls in a way. If the wizard botches his roll for one of the spells that page in the spell book is ruined just like a scroll.

Hope that helps, JRedmond.
Good Gaming!

Riley37

First Post
My new house rule:
If it can happen in the real world, then it can happen in D&D.

Therefore, since people sometimes lose a hand in the real world, it is possible, in my D&D campaign, to lose a hand.
I may or may not have specific rules for when hand-loss happens.

If someone wants to extend this principle, into a case in which I would be unwilling to follow that house-rule, then sure, try. DM discretion over *whether* and *when* that thing happens should suffice. Impress me!

khyberpunnisher

First Post
My new house rule:
If it can happen in the real world, then it can happen in D&D.

Therefore, since people sometimes lose a hand in the real world, it is possible, in my D&D campaign, to lose a hand.
I may or may not have specific rules for when hand-loss happens.

If someone wants to extend this principle, into a case in which I would be unwilling to follow that house-rule, then sure, try. DM discretion over *whether* and *when* that thing happens should suffice. Impress me!

In the campaigns I've played, we usually represented loss of a limb with a penalty to STR, DEX, and/or if severe (like loss of a whole arm or leg) a penalty to max HP. All of which could be undone (essentially regrowing the limb) with a Greater Restoration spell as it removes conditions which cause negatives to these things. Severely debilitating injuries like loss of an arm which would impose multiple penalties would take multiple castings to undo all the damage, representing progress.

For example the first casting might regrow your limb, removing the HP penalty. However, this is a new limb grown from the pattern of your DNA, and it hasn't been aligned with your body. It hasn't had all the training the rest of you has had, so it's still not as strong or dextrous, and the lack of balance represents the penalties to STR and DEX still being present. Another casting might remove the STR penalty, adjusting your new limb to match the size and tone of the other, but a sudden change in mass like that plays havoc with fine muscle control, meaning the DEX penalty remains. A third casting realigns your nerves and your brain's memory of your old arm, bringing it back to perfect by removing the remaining DEX penalty.

Last edited:

Remove ads