• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the #1 most important thing to remember about DMing?

Oryan77

Adventurer
Tell us ONE (and only one) thing that you think is the most important thing to remember, consider, or do when DMing.

Do not be vague about your answer either. If anyone replies with something like, "to have fun mate!" I'm going to have my brother jog (he's broke and has no car) to your house and break your thumbs.

I'm just curious to know what is most important to people from the DM side of things. Don't get carried away though; I only care to hear one thing from you. I don't need a list of everything you find important because anything after #1 will most likely be extremely boring to read about. But please, elaborate on that one thing in as much detail as you can.

For me, I'd say it has to be to make sure my players are having fun, mate.

(There, for those of you that couldn't wait to respond just so you could say it and be funny, I stole your thunder. This includes the "well, to have fu.....oh wait" replies. Anything remotely similar to this response will only make you look like a fool. I know it sucks, but you'll just have to come up with some other way to be witty.)

weem

First Post
Well, you have the "fun" aspect covered so that's good.

There are a number of answers to this, any of which could be considered #1, so I am just going to go with one of them currently at the top of my list.

Set the stage, and stay one step ahead of the players.

In other words, don't write a book and then push the PC's along the story you think is awesome and they will like. Let them show you what they like with their actions on stage. If you set it up, they will be the story and at that point, you just need to stay one step ahead of them to keep things rolling.

That sounds like a lot, staying one step ahead of them. On the surface it sounds like you need to read their minds, but that's not the case. Rather, you are reacting to them and prompting them with various situations, etc. You will have an idea of the direction they are heading, so that helps.

Also, at the end of a session, take some time to talk about what they have done and what their intentions are for the next game. That doesn't mean they have to tell you for sure what they are doing, but ask them about what they think they might do - what sounds interesting to them - essentially you are looking for a direction so that you can be there waiting for them.

Barastrondo

First Post
"These are your friends."

What they want to do is important. Challenging them is vital, but a really good game relies on everyone understanding that the adversity tossed around the table is in the spirit of friends having fun together. The game's "higher purpose" doesn't come before friendship. If real life interferes, so be it; the game is for the players, not in spite of them. If we get sidetracked or talk about non-game stuff for a while before the game starts, that's fine.

And because they're friends, you want to run as good a game as you can for them. Keep them in mind at all times, but also go as big and artistic and evocative as you can. Make a game about something that you think is cool, because your enthusiasm is key, and then sell it to them. And always keep an eye out for what you can improve. If you aren't going to run the most awesome game possible for your friends, who are you going to run it for?

(If they're not your friends... I do not have as much helpful advice.)

Remove ads