What is the #1 most important thing to remember about DMing?

Celebrim

Legend
How you prepare for a game session will have a bigger impact on how the game will play out that the game system you use for the session. Or, putting it a another way, the choices you make in preparing for the game (including the choice to not prepare for the game) are more important than the rules of the game. System doesn't really 'matter'; preparation does. Two different games using the same system will play out in totally different ways with two different sorts of preparation, and two games using different systems will play out in basically the same way if you do the same sort of preparation for it. How the designer intends you to prepare for the game, is the most important and most often undocumented aspect of a game system.

Quickleaf

Legend
There are three sides to the DM's screen.

Your side (you see charts and aggravating players),

The player's side ( they see fancy picture and a crazy DM),

And the side of significant others/children/pets... SOs see an eccentric hobby which they love to tease you about when introducing you to chic tract 'educated' Uncle Tom. Children see a perfect time to play the alphabet song when the dracolich mini comes out. Pets see fun dicey toys and brownies for the taking on breaks.

Yes, all true stories. :)

Macbeth

First Post
The game is not yours, it's everyone's.

Collaborate, work together, have fun. As a player, I probably didn't show up to listen to what you had planned, I came to play. As a GM, I really don't want to be entirely responsible for anyone's fun. The great thing about games is that they provide a framework for us all the contribute to a great experience in different ways, but none of those ways is more or less valuable.

If I could sneak in a close second, it would be:

GM the game you're playing

Which sounds like common sense, but it's actually one of the best ways I've improved my GMing. You don't run 4E like you do 3E, or GURPS like you do Burning Wheel, or whatever. Keep in mind the game you're playing, and run that game.

I like to be flexible, let the players try new and different things that aren't in the RAW. If I don't know a rule off the top of my head, I make it up and stick with it the rest of the campaign.

House Rules should be a big part of any game IMHO, but that's just my opinion. I'm more likely to also err on the side of caution so that the players are having fun, even if it kills a creature I throw at them (why? because I can throw more stuff at them later!).

Remove ads