What is the #1 most important thing to remember about DMing?

Stoat

Adventurer
If you put an NPC in the same room with the PC's, be prepared for that NPC to die.

If the NPC is a villain with an escape plan, assume the PC's will thwart that plan. If the NPC is an unstoppable villain, assume the PC's will stop him. If the NPC is a kindly innkeeper who means no harm to anyone, assume the PC's will mistake him for a vampire lord and stake him through the heart.

Scotley

Hero
Hone your craft.

You can learn from others, from reading, from watching, from your own mistakes, but only if you take the time and effort to improve. As someone else said there is no substitute for experience, but you can learn outside the game too.

Macbeth

First Post
Heh, totally opposite to me.

Your world will never matter as much to the players as it does to you. You have a choice to make. Is your world more important to you than your players or not?

For me? An engaging story trumps any amount of scenery every time. Make sure that your campaign is the most important thing you spend time on.

I don't want to put words in someone else's mouth, but when I read alms' post, I agreed because those things are story. The orc army moving out of the hills towards your village? That's a story, right there, waiting to happen.

Both as a player and as a GM, I don't really enjoy sitting down with an entire plot. I think alms is kind of saying the same thing: you sit down with some knowledge of interesting things that are happening in the world and play those our, honestly, in response to the players actions.

It's a really different approach than having an entire story waiting for them. Instead of having a series of encounters to get to the orc boss, who will then reveal the demonic influence or whatever, I just set things in motion and then play them out in response to the players.

I don't really think of that as setting building. I don't come up with a history of that orc tribe, because really, who cares? It's more like story seeding: creating interesting things that are going on that the players can interact with. In particular, setting up those interesting things so they're aimed right at what's important to the characters.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Human memory is highly selective and highly mutable.

Which in practice means that petty rules debates, plot holes in your campaign, and other insufficiencies can be forgotten, as long as you give the players something else worth remembering.

Last edited:

Remove ads