• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What is the appeal of the weird fantasy races?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that's appropriate. The DC should be static for everyone. If you want to make it harder for the centaur(as opposed to just saying it's not possible), then you can impose disadvantage, give penalties or both and make it more difficult that way.
Yeah, static DCs are definitely easier for a DM but offer limited range. I think this is why advantage and disadvantage are great rules. Easy for a DM to say, you need a 13 history check. But your family is from here, so there is a better chance you have heard this lore. So roll with advantage. Easy.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think he's asking whether the DM can set the DC at 35 for a centaur and 15 for a humanoid. In my opinion, it shouldn't be done like that. I think the DC for a cliff is how hard it is to climb in general, and then other circumstances give bonuses and penalties to the climbers.
Why are you explaining these things? How did I indicate any lack of understanding of what Scott was asking?
Yes it was as it was not a joke. I don't do it to you. Don't do it to me.
lol you have no ability or right to tell me what my own intentions are, nor to tell me what to do or not do, Max.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Why are you explaining these things? How did I indicate any lack of understanding of what Scott was asking?
Why are you acting like a blank when someone was just trying to help?
lol you have no ability or right to tell me what my own intentions are, nor to tell me what to do or not do, Max.
Next time you do it to me, then, I will report it. I've made my position clear. Don't do it to me again.

doctorbadwolf

Why are you acting like a blank when someone was just trying to help?
Explaining something I've literally responded to in a way that I couldn't have done if I didn't understand what you explained is not helpful.
Next time you do it to me, then, I will report it. I've made my position clear. Don't do it to me again.
Bud, I'm not worried about it. You're overreacting to a damn emoji like I insulted you. I haven't done anything to you.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Explaining something I've literally responded to in a way that I couldn't have done if I didn't understand what you explained is not helpful.

Bud, I'm not worried about it. You're overreacting to a damn emoji like I insulted you. I haven't done anything to you.
It is an insult. If it's not a joke, laughing is insulting. There is no good reason to laugh at something that isn't a joke.

Yeah, static DCs are definitely easier for a DM but offer limited range. I think this is why advantage and disadvantage are great rules. Easy for a DM to say, you need a 13 history check. But your family is from here, so there is a better chance you have heard this lore. So roll with advantage. Easy.
It's also less apparently "unfair" when two party members roll the same thing on their check, and one of them succeeds while the other one fails.

Sure the DM can provide justification, but the optics are bad.

It's also less apparently "unfair" when two party members roll the same thing on their check, and one of them succeeds while the other one fails.

Sure the DM can provide justification, but the optics are bad.

Agreed. Better to set DCs based on stated approaches and goals than to "distinguish" one race from another. Mechanics are in place already to accomplish that (e.g. slower climb speed of the centaur).

That said, if the players are on board that certain physical or social tasks are going to be more difficult for certain PCs for whatever reason, then the party needs to devise solutions cooperatively based on the particular challenges being presented. The key is getting buy-in for said difficulties up front (i.e. in session 0).

Oofta

Legend
Related to DCs, race can make a difference depending on the check. A dwarf is going to have a harder time convincing most elves as an example.

As long as the DM is up front about how they're going to do things and consistent I don't see a problem.

doctorbadwolf

It is an insult. If it's not a joke, laughing is insulting. There is no good reason to laugh at something that isn't a joke.
Sure there is, and the idea that laughing at something other than a joke is insulting is absolutely preposterous on every level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads