• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E what is the best class?

Paraxis

Explorer
As everyone else has said "best" is relative.

I like bards now that they are full spellcasters and have versatility with abilities like magic secrets and their already diverse spell list.

I like warlocks for pure damage at range, with some nice magical tricks to spice things up. If your DM is cool with frequent short rests this class gets a huge bump.

Clerics and Wizards both have some cool tricks, and if the campaign is more of a hex crawl/exploration or single big set piece encounters than these classes are full of win.

Essentially like most editions of D&D it is casters rule and mundanes drool, aka casters and caddies.

All of the above is my opinion of course, I mean sometimes you just want to smash or hack things up and that can be great fun too.

I think the "best" class can very so wildly by the campaign and DM, so if you know your DM likes using a lot of social situations make a diplomacy expert, if the campaign is a kick in the door dungeon fight be the door kicker, if exploration is front and center be the ranger, and so on. All of that is equating "best" with getting the most spotlight time and feeling like the biggest damn hero at the table.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Hard to say I would rate the lore bard, clerics up there, the beast master ranger, monk and probably the land druid near the bottom. Maybe not the Druid but the moon druid outclasses the other one heavily.

Evenglare

Adventurer
There is no "best class" objectively. It depends on the context of the campaign and what/how you want to contribute to it either mechanically and/or narratively.

sithramir

First Post
Hiya.

Good answer, Sacrosanct. I was going to toss out a counter question; what dice color is the best to use for D&D? I supposed if that one ever gets definitively answered, we'll be able to do the same for what class is "best". ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming
Purple. Everyone knows that

Nivenus

First Post
Whichever one you like to play best?

I'll admit that insofar as arcane spellcasters are concerned, I have a special fondness for sorcerers and warlocks, both of whom I think bring in an element of magic often missing in wizards (that it's dangerous, mysterious, and sometimes unpredictable). Bards and wizards are cool too though.

I also really like clerics. Indeed, the presence of divine magic - which is often absent in most fantasy settings - is one of the things that (IMO) gives D&D an advantage over other fantasy roleplaying games.

Remove ads