• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E what is the best class?

Lanliss

Explorer
I personally enjoy the monk. I find it to be the wizard of melee classes, with a different trick to pull for just about any situation. I will be playing a monk in my next game, and will be going either Long Death or Sun Soul, depending on how the campaign works out by the time I hit level 3.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
When I hear "best" I assume that mechanics are implied; only the "best" characters "win" D&D. That in mind...

Bard is arguably top-tier (finally!); if you want a bucket of abilities and enjoy being useful in any situation, Bard's your man.

Clerics are amazing. They often come with some heavy RP implications, but how heavy is ultimately between you and your DM. Your Cleric can be a cloth-wearing sage or a full-plate wearing, greatsword-wielding S.O.B - the whole gamut is covered.

Fighters now have a lot more options than "hit stuff" which makes them pretty solid all-around muscle.

Most other classes have specific niches which make them super-great if you're into said niches but require more complexity and familiarity with the system at large. I would never ask a brand new 5e player to play a Wizard, for example.

Horwath

Legend
Necromancer of Dol Guldur called.
He wants his thread back :D

On more serious note, I think that all classes are good, and it depends on your DM to vary the encounters and challenges to make various classes shine in their respective field. And to give encounters that will show "per short" and "per long" rest mechanics.

wizards with the spellbook and tons of rituals available will be the swissarmyknife and barbarian/sorcerer will be very effective sledgehammers.

I would put moon druid, wizard and lore bard a little ahead because versatility.

But all are quite near.

CapnZapp

Legend
Really, it all depends on what you want. DPR? Paladin, Fighter, or Wizard. Versatility? Bard or Druid. Spellcasting epicness? Sorcerer, Wizard, or maybe warlock. My favorites are Sorcerer (good casting, Metamagic) DEX Fighter, or Monk.
Please indicate next time you're necroing a thread almost a year and a half old. Thanks

RulesJD

First Post
A level 17+ Wizard.

Why? Because they can Wish -> Simulacrum any other class. Poof, now they have both their class and the other one.

Lejaun

First Post
Dwarven barbarian taking the battlerager class ! This is my main character right now, and I've never enjoyed a character more. He's not the most powerful, I get knocked unconscious or almost die nearly every session, but he is a blast to play.

He's aggressive and takes unnecessary risks if that means he gets to fight. Goblins in particular are his favorite thing to bash. In one of our last encounters we ran into some goblins, one of which surrendered and the group intended to interrogate it for valuable information. Being the kind,gentle dwarf that I am that displays special caring love for goblins, I bashed in his head instead of following the party's plan to let him live.

Remove ads