• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the best issue of Dungeon in recent memory?

VorpalBunny

Explorer
The first ish that came to mind was #134: Awesome Cthulhu goodness with "And Madness Followed" followed by Dragotha?! ("Into the Wormcrawl Fissure") - wow.

Qualidar

First Post
My vote's Issue #133: Chimes at Midnight (By Nicolas Logue), Ill-Made Graves (Kevin Carter), and Kings of the Rift (Greg A. Vaughan). All awesome adventures.

~Qualidar~

Meds

First Post
Qualidar said:
My vote's Issue #133: Chimes at Midnight (By Nicolas Logue), Ill-Made Graves (Kevin Carter), and Kings of the Rift (Greg A. Vaughan). All awesome adventures.
~Qualidar~
Agreed. #133 was the one that sprang to mind.

Garnfellow

Explorer
The one that came this month -- with "Return to the Lost City" and the latest Savage Tide installment -- is looking pretty sweet.

Really, the last couple years have been almost all good. Back in the day, I bought issues 1 and 2 of Dungeon, picked up a couple more here and there, but was never really smitten with the mag. But Dungeon under Mona and Jacobs has developed a formula that really gets me where I live.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Add another vote for the githyanki issue.

Not counting all the adventure path issues (which is the main reason I subscribed), I also really liked the Maure castle issue (#112) and the two issue with returns to Maure Castle, the two issues with the Dark Sun bestiary (#110 and #111), the one with the Lord of the Scarlet Tide (I forget the #), #84 for the Harrowing, and the issues with epic content.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Some of my personal favorites (from Issue 114 post-Polyhedron Golden Era):

116 - A nice, creepy sidetrek in "Palace of the Twisted King," the only psionic adventure of the 3.5e era "The Death of Lashmire" (full of psionicy goodness), and the conclusion of the SCAP ("Asylum"). Plus all that nostalgic stuff in the back.

117 - A low-level Eberron adventure by Keith Baker ("Fallen Angel"), the start of the Istivin Campaign Arc (Greg A Vaughan's "Touch of the Abyss" plus the Istivin backdrop), and a high-level adventure by "He Who Never Sleeps So He Can Write Awesome D&D adventures" Nicholas Logue ("The Winding Way").

118 - The first 3.5e issue of Dungeon I ever read. Contains my personal favorite 1st level adventure and the triumphant return of the flumph! Plus, it has a lot of Greyhawk stuff with the middle part of the Istivin trilogy and the first part of that huge map thingy.

120 - Nicholas Logue shines again in "The Obsidian Eye," the Sandstorm tie-in. Can't forget the awakened apes of "The Temple of Demogorgon."

121 - This issue contains hands down the greatest adventure setting in the pages of Dungeon, greater than Cauldron, Sasserine, Alhaster, or Diamond Lake. I'm talking "The Styes."

That is it for now....

Wik

First Post
Garnfellow said:
The one that came this month -- with "Return to the Lost City" and the latest Savage Tide installment -- is looking pretty sweet.

Really, the last couple years have been almost all good. Back in the day, I bought issues 1 and 2 of Dungeon, picked up a couple more here and there, but was never really smitten with the mag. But Dungeon under Mona and Jacobs has developed a formula that really gets me where I live.

Yeah. That was the first Dungeon in the Savage Tide arc where I really loved the other adventures included. The Lost City adventure is definately something I wanna cannibalize for later play, once the tide is over.

Oh, and the relevant Savage Tide adventure in that issue was great. Not going to mention too much, but most of the great role-playing scenes involved (such as The talking zombie, or how the NPCs respond to various events)) are pretty damn fun. The combats are neat, too. Can't wait to run it (although I'm really excited by episode 3, too)

Endur

First Post
Best Recent Issue of Dungeon: Issue 90
cover_500.jpg

THE ELFWHISPER
Elves and forests don’t always get along. A D&D adventure for 8th-level PCs
By J.C. Alvarez

TOTENTANZ
Even death cannot keep the citizens of Luzern from dancing in the street. A D&D adventure for 4th-level PCs
By Bernard Mees

PREY FOR TYRINTH
She lives in the depths. She lives in the darkness. She lives to kill. A D&D adventure designed for 5th-level PCs but adaptable for levels
By Tim Hitchcock

TEARS FOR TWILIGHT HOLLOW
A paladin’s demise brings pain and despair to the village of Twilight Hollow. A D&D Forgotten Realms adventure for 7th-level PCs
By Angel Leigh McCoy & Christopher Perkins

CRITICAL THREATS
NEW FEATURE! This lycanthropic cleric savors the taste of infidels. A D&D Forgotten Realms Critical Threat.
By DUNGEON Staff

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Shroomy said:
121 - This issue contains hands down the greatest adventure setting in the pages of Dungeon, greater than Cauldron, Sasserine, Alhaster, or Diamond Lake. I'm talking "The Styes."
What is so great about the Styes? I've never heard of this setting.

Remove ads