What is the best overland adventure (NOT a Poll)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Simple question What do you think is the best overland adventure designed for DnD (any version) and why do you think it was well designed?

What elements did you enjoy?

How can we emulate these elements?

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, thinking about it, there aren't a huge number of overland/outdoor style modules compared to the number of crawl types. Even those that do have overland bits, like the Forgotten Temple of Tharzidun is pretty much just a dungeon crawl with a very high ceiling.

If I had to say, my vote would go for the old Isle of Dread. Despite some rather bewildering organization, IoD is a very solid module. It captures the feel of the Lost World type setting very, very well, has a nice intro with the blank center map (bloody fantastic idea that) and the letter from Rory Barbarados (I think that's the name). Lots of stock ideas without having them clash too often. I am REALLY looking forward to the new AP from Dungeon for this exact reason.

Glyfair

Explorer
SgtHulka said:
Wilderlands of High Fantasy. It's Isle of Dread times one thousand.

And thus the complication of where do you draw the line between campaign setting and overland adventure? To me, Wilderlands is a campaign setting and not an adventure.

Coming to think of it, I can't think of any adventures that really are purely overland adventures. Even the Isle of Dread is considered by some to be more setting than adventure. Maybe Isle of the Ape? Descent into the Depths of the Earth is almost there, but it's more of an "underland adventure."

Hussar

Legend
The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror is almost entirely outdoors. But, it's still pretty much just a very high ceilinged dungeon considering you cannot break through the hedgerows.

catsclaw227

First Post
The Midnight adventure Crown of Shadow, as well as the Scarred Lands' Scepter series had an overland elements to them. Both were very good, but the Midnight adventure was designed for their d20 game, which is different enough from straight D&D to make conversion an issue, and the Scarred Lands books were written for 3.0.

ashockney

First Post
You run into a real problem with overland adventures past a certain level, because the party can have such ready access to spells that might "bypass" huge chunks of the adventure.

I just ran Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth a couple of times (updated to 3.5), and the beginning part of the module (non-tournament piece) has a nice overland component. I enjoyed it because there was a real "search" component to it, with a player map, and a DM's map. The players had to find the right spot. The encounters they ran into while travelling were all over the boards (in typical Gygax style), which will keep your players on their toes, and provides for a fun night of gaming.

TheNovaLord

First Post
X4 master of the desert nomads and a bit, but not much in temple of death x5

I tend to like my adventures cut into one third social interaction/mystery, 1/3rd getting to the dungeon, and 1/3rd the dungeon
I guess against 'the cult of the reptile god' can play abit that way too
and N5 'the forest oracle' is very outdoorsy.

Remove ads