• One higher than GM

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Tie the GMs roll

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
You're playing a game in which your goal, when it comes to determining the quality of outcomes, is to roll your d20 higher than the GM's d20. Each side has miscellaneous bonuses to add to its result due to favorable circumstances.

What is the result of your roll that indicates the best outcome?

20 on the die, since more is better?

One higher than the GMs result, since as you get more bonus points, it's actually harder to roll low and still win?

Tie with the GM, since that's the least likely result? Because if you have more or fewer (but not equal) bonus points than the GM, you are more likely to either win or lose - but odds of a tie diminish. Note that a tie, though rare, does not automatically indicate a win under these rules.

Or something else, like a result that equals your attribute score?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You're playing a game in which your goal, when it comes to determining the quality of outcomes, is to roll your d20 higher than the GM's d20. Each side has miscellaneous bonuses to add to its result due to favorable circumstances.

What is the result of your roll that indicates the best outcome?

20 on the die, since more is better?

One higher than the GMs result, since as you get more bonus points, it's actually harder to roll low and still win?

Tie with the GM, since that's the least likely result? Because if you have more or fewer (but not equal) bonus points than the GM, you are more likely to either win or lose - but odds of a tie diminish. Note that a tie, though rare, does not automatically indicate a win under these rules.

Or something else, like a result that equals your attribute score?
Most DMs I play with will give a greater effect/auto success with a roll of 20, so 20 is what you shoot for. Even if they don't and the purpose is to roll higher, it's still cooler to roll that 20 than to roll an 18 or 19 and beat the DM.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Chances of a tie don't decrease because the odds of rolling any specific number are the same. If you have +9 and I have -9, we have the exact same odds of rolling a tie as if we both have +0 or if you have +20 and I have +39. Ona d20, it's 5%. (Different if you were using multiple dice and had a bell curve.)

Now, when 3e came out on of the die rolling concepts they introduced over AD&D 2nd was that higher alway equals better, to make it more intuitively obvious to the player (and GM) what was better. So if you have other rolls that need to definitevely dictate what is best, I'd keep the same for this roll. Otherwise I'd go with 20 is best because it is the most intuitively obvious, vs. parsing to see if it's the same number,

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What's the best roll?

bwk6145.jpg

Mezuka

Hero
Since it is a contested roll, higher than the GM is the best roll. By how much you beat his result is the outcome. So, [15 and 19] or [23 and 27] are the same results. You beat the GM by only 4 (20%) in both cases. A marginal success.

edit: If you beat the GM by 50% more that would, in my mind, be a very good success. If you get 75% more that is an extraordinary success.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Chances of a tie don't decrease because the odds of rolling any specific number are the same. If you have +9 and I have -9, we have the exact same odds of rolling a tie as if we both have +0 or if you have +20 and I have +39.
Yes, but I'm looking at it more one-sided. As the PC's bonus goes up, the PC can roll more results that the GM can't: lower odds of a tie. After the GM rolls, there are only two probabilities of a tie: 0% or 5%. I.e. a tie is one of the outcomes or it's not.
Since it is a contested roll, higher than the GM is the best roll. By how much you beat his result is the outcome. So, [15 and 19] or [23 and 27] are the same results. You beat the GM by only 4 (20%) in both cases.
This points toward Blue's "intuitively obvious" metric, but I'm still not sold on the standard degrees-of-success system...

Mezuka

Hero
This points toward Blue's "intuitively obvious" metric, but I'm still not sold on the standard degrees-of-success system...
Fantasy AGE uses 3d6. One die is a different colour. If you succeed or if you fail you look at the coloured die to determine the level of success or failure. 6 greatest success. 1 worst failure.

Remove ads