• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the best Schtick you've ever...

Reviving this thread a bit.

Got a new character since the Dwarf was killed off a little over a week ago. My new character is a barbarian/fighter who is based off of John Steinbeck's character Lennie Small from "Of Mice and Men." I even went with an anagram of his name and named him Malen Isnell. He'll have an affinity for soft furry things (such as bunnies), along with a child-like innocence, be fiercely loyal to his friends, dull-witted, and I've tossed in the wild rager archetype for a fun twist and to give him some more flavor. Just don't get on his bad side he'll fly into a wild rage and kill ya (and everyone else around).

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
This was shadowrun... and I never got to play it as much as I wanted.... but way way back in the 1st ed days of shadowrun (and I have no idea if it's still this way), Shamen (and other casters, I think) were able to use all kinds of performance skills to help control their magic -- music, etc, could work).

So, I had a shaman named Abbot whose performance totem was the "Who's On First" skit (as performed by Abbot & Costello). He'd go into combat chanting the routine, both sides of the dialog, but treating it more as a chant than an actual comedy skit. His accents, which came when he actually tossed off spells, might come at any point in the routine, and the volume in his voice would rise, etc. So fireballs might be accented with shouted lines like "Third Base" or "I mean the fellow's name!!" or "Naturally!"

It was a schtick destined to get old really, really fast, so it's probably a kindness that we didn't play more Shadowrun.

-rg

There are two other schticks I'd like to play at some point:

1) A gnome, halfling, or very short human (probably a fighter of some sort) with a huge (pun intended) Napoleon complex who will be all about trying to bully everyone taller than himself and think that he's being insulted by anyone taller.

2) A dandy foppish bard who has come up with a new form of song and lyrics - he'd be a really bad rapper (think vanilla ice as a bard) - and sing/rap whenever given the chance.

Yora

Legend
Being German, it was always obvious that shtick is yiddish (German and Japanese being the only languages I know that have Sht and German the only with ck), but it never occured to me that it's "Stück". :D

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I had an NPC in Dark Sun who was a vegetarian. Of course, everyone assumed that meant that he was somehow less violent and murder-happy than the run of the mill cannibal halflings.

Wrong!

Eventually, he would attack and say something like "I'm not going to eat you--just kill you!" (and get a surprise round attack).

I used him in several games. The players always relaxed when they found out he was a vegetarian. Ah, good times. B-)

Last edited:

DnD_Dad

First Post
I usually DM a second edition group and have been for years now, but one day one of the players offered to run a short campaign so I can take a break. I immediately dove in to a couple 4-packs of guinness and came up with my drunken monk named Feng Wang. His deal was that he gave up all worldly possessions except his sacramental keg of ale. He also was sparringly sober, always referred to his fighting prowess for solutions to problems and always started a fight by shouting, "Feng Wang!"

imurphy943

First Post
As a player, I'd really like to play in old-school 'tough-love' games, where you always start at 1st level regardless of the rest of the party, and 1st level characters drop like flies if you act stupid.

So I'll introduce a Fighter named 'Macintosh', Then if he dies, I'll bring in another Fighter (a brother, cousin, cousin twice removed, long-lost best friend, or whatever, hopefully) named 'Winston'. Then I'll move on to 'Red Gravenstein', 'Braeburn', 'Charles Ross', 'Gibson Scarlet', possibly a Cleric named 'Reverend W. Wilks',

then more Fighters named 'Howgate Wonder', 'Arkansas Black', 'Macoun', 'Stayman Winesap', 'Jonagold', 'Cortland', 'Jonathan Lodi', 'Melrose', 'Ashmead Kernal', 'Baldwin', 'Pippin Cameo' (a Halfling- double humor!), 'Ginger Gold', 'Grimes Golden', 'James Grieve', 'Ellison Orange', 'Early Worcester', 'Rosemary Russet', and 'Warner King'.

As you can see, I can keep this up much longer than I can watch characters die one by one without getting bored.

As a player, I'd really like to play in old-school 'tough-love' games, where you always start at 1st level regardless of the rest of the party, and 1st level characters drop like flies if you act stupid.

So I'll introduce a Fighter named 'Macintosh', Then if he dies, I'll bring in another Fighter (a brother, cousin, cousin twice removed, long-lost best friend, or whatever, hopefully) named 'Winston'. Then I'll move on to 'Red Gravenstein', 'Braeburn', 'Charles Ross', 'Gibson Scarlet', possibly a Cleric named 'Reverend W. Wilks',

then more Fighters named 'Howgate Wonder', 'Arkansas Black', 'Macoun', 'Stayman Winesap', 'Jonagold', 'Cortland', 'Jonathan Lodi', 'Melrose', 'Ashmead Kernal', 'Baldwin', 'Pippin Cameo' (a Halfling- double humor!), 'Ginger Gold', 'Grimes Golden', 'James Grieve', 'Ellison Orange', 'Early Worcester', 'Rosemary Russet', and 'Warner King'.

As you can see, I can keep this up much longer than I can watch characters die one by one without getting bored.

I actually thought pretty hard about doing that with my Dwarf who just died. Since he was Dorin son of Borin son of Vorin son of Zorin (We just called him Dorin Borinson for short).

I was contemplating a brother or cousin with a very similar name like Yorin or Corin or Forin and just keep something like with the "orin" being repeated over and over again if my character(s) died.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads