D&D 5E What is the future of the forgotten realms?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
So, assume they do walk away from FR? What do you suppose they will do instead?

Good question. But I would bet, dollars to dougnuts, that the walkaway announcement starts like this:

RENTON, Wash., April1, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Wizards of the Coast, a division of Hasbro, Inc (NASDAQ: HAS), is sad to announce that all Forgotten Realms products are being discontinued.

"With a name like Forgotten Realms, our audience had to see this coming, amirite," said Chris Cooks, President, Wizards of the Coast.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Because it cannot be sad enough in this discussion.

The upcoming film has the staffing like a film expected to make 100s of millions, for comparison that 2000 film targeted about 100.
There's at least one, probably two, TV show(s) set in the Realms.
There's at least one, probably several more, video game(s) set in the Realms.

Organized play features the Realms primarily.

No one has forgotten the Realms

Yeah, the movie has SERIOUS talent involved from acting to directing.

And didn't Benedict Cumberbatch do a 30 second promo for a forgotten realms thing a month or 2 ago (I think it was a Drizz't thing of some kind)?

No way they're dumping the realms yet!

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Is WoTC scaling back on the Forgotten Realms?

Dunno ... has Ed Greenwood been appearing on any unfortunate podcasts or youtube shows?

I noticed Greenwood on one of those, but is he going full-hog on that "New TSR" nonsense? I'd be disappointed if so. That one podcast I saw him on was full of doublespeak, folks say "D&D is always been open to everyone" followed by "Why does D&D have to talk about diversity?"

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Related to the actual topic, highly doubt WotC would actually completely abandon FR. It's just becoming one out of several popular settings in an increasing release schedule.

Related to the actual topic, highly doubt WotC would actually completely abandon FR. It's just becoming one out of several popular settings in an increasing release schedule.
For a whole generation of fans, dnd=the forgotten realms. People who would never had had an interest in the setting put their games there just because there's so much content for it.

Remove ads