What is the hardest part of writing a TTRPG?

cavetroll

Explorer
What is the hardest part of making a new TTRPG, lets say you are writing a D&D type/clone but not under any SRD, so a distinct piece of work.

Clearly the marketing, advertsing, selling, getting people to play your version of the game is the hardest part, ignore that though.

The actual design, writing, playtesting, balancing, artwork commissions, printing etc.

Lets say its the size of a 1st edition, D&D. What takes the longest.

I'm thinking maybe its the spells, coming up with something interesting and unique for however hundreds of spells that is.

What do you think is the hardest or takes the longest?

What is the hardest part of making a new TTRPG
Differentiating yourself from other systems on the market.
This requires a solid vision of how your game differs; it requires marketing to let people understand how it is different, and it requires game design skills to make sure it really is different.

Your game must compete against the alternative; a GM will take your concept and just port it into their favorite system. To be successful, you must provide enough novel content so it is more time-effective to use your system, rather than add content to their favorite system.

pogre

Legend
Depending on what you have in mind in artwork it can be the hardest or one of the easier parts. Hiring a decent editor at a reasonable rate is tough too. The stuff you can directly control? Believe it or not - that's the easy part.

pogre

Legend
Really, I would have thought there would be lots of English majors available for remote work? I know nothing of publishing, what distinguishes a good editor?
Most smaller gaming companies do not use one, but if you are hoping to have your game considered professional it is a great investment.

What distinguishes a good editor is a huge, huge topic. It really boils down to your needs.

A simple copy editor to look at grammar and spelling is not hard to find. However, an editor who will look at rules organization and gets other eyes on it for cultural bias input can save you a lot of headaches. A good editor will have a shared vision of the rules and be unafraid to be absolutely brutal on your rules writing.

I'm not expert - I just have friends who have and do work in the publishing industry. Editors and artists are consistently their biggest headaches.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Being willing to cut that really cool type/mechanic/whatever out of the game and leave it on the cutting room floor. That's hard, cuz it's a hit to the ol pride.

Assuming you do your own writing, art is the most costly, and it can be quite a bit. Tens of thousands of dollars, depending on what you're wanting to publish.

Don't skimp on an editor.

You won't please everyone, and some critics can be outright mean. That's their problem, don't let it get to you. That's hard too.

Greggy C

Hero
Finishing it!
This made me laugh, and reminded me of when I started my combat simulator, 2 years ago, I figured 5e can't be that complicated, shouldn't take longer than 6 months. As I went along, I'm like, surely some of these spells are different. Now two years later... ok I might never get to the end of the over 2000 spells, class features, monster traits etc..

Remove ads