• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the hardest part of writing a TTRPG?

Mezuka

Hero
Deciding to stop wasting time desiging a TRPG since I will never be happy with it. Been going at it for 5-6 years, on and off. I'll spend my time playing and GMing instead.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
From a perspective of three games published (Owl Hoot Trail, TimeWatch, Swords of the Serpentine), and two games in playtesting: the hardest part is actually putting in the scut work needed to finish it. Ideas are simple, playtesting was simple, starting it was simple, and the end-run to the very finish was pretty good. But that middle bit, when the end is nowhere in sight and your brain keeps looking for the next shiny thing, but you need to keep writing it anyways? That part is HARD.

aramis erak

Legend
Really, I would have thought there would be lots of English majors available for remote work? I know nothing of publishing, what distinguishes a good editor?
It's far more than the mechanics of the writing.
Many editors aren't great at the mechanics, either. Axiomatically, proofers aren't editors, and editors aren't proofers; neither are layout techs and layout techs often aren't editors. Note that I have done some editorial work, and am too dyslexic to proofread.

While the average 4th year English major can proof for mechanics, they're going to need to know the subject matter, and play devil's advocate for what needs cut, what needs expanded, and what is right decisions.

A good editor is the author's partner in design - things like "That's the wrong term" and "This is clear," "This is a duplication of...," and "This is unclear." And sometimes, "WT_ ARE YOU SMOKING???" whilst indicating a paragraph.
They also are the layout guy's collaborator in what, where, how.
And the person on the lookout for consistent Tone and Voice.

In traditional publishing, the editor is also often the author's supervisor... in the games industry, sometimes so, other times, other way 'round, and sometimes, both are employees of a third.. Which creates an interesting dynamic - the editor isn't the talent, but is reliant upon the talent to produce so they both get paid.

That's a bit meandery; I'm not quite sharp enough tonight to clarify it.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I only publish as third party to Pathfinder/Starfinder, as I'm not such a game designer focused guy, that I'd even consider a stand alone game system - that's not in my wheelhouse. Most of you know me for my maps. A couple years ago I'd considered what markets outside of gaming could a pro mapper do, that's not CAD/Geology type mapping. I could see a small market for advertising brochures, crap like that, but no other ready industry who requires artistic mapping. For me to try something like that, it means creating an entire market, that doesn't now exist. That would such an undertaking, I'd never get around to getting enough work to do something like that. So not there isn't a market out there, outside of gaming, even if I could find it, how to convince others to pay me to that for them. Creating a previously non-existent market is the toughest thing to do, from my perspective. That doesn't even account for the work required to make a game system that's even going to be sought out by anybody, let alone trying to sell the damn thing.

It's why I go the easy route as third party. First party has already made the market for me...

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
What do you think is the hardest or takes the longest?
Getting enough human skin to etch the final copy. Surprisingly, acquiring virgin hair for the binding isn't too tough.

After that, all you need is a good artist. I'd buy a game typed out by monkeys on typewriters if they hired a good artist.
bruce campbell film GIF

cavetroll

Explorer
A good editor is the author's partner in design - things like "That's the wrong term" and "This is clear," "This is a duplication of...," and "This is unclear." And sometimes, "WT_ ARE YOU SMOKING???" whilst indicating a paragraph.
So do you need a TTRPG editor if you want a TTRPG book edited?

cavetroll

Explorer
Getting enough human skin to etch the final copy. Surprisingly, acquiring virgin hair for the binding isn't too tough.

After that, all you need is a good artist. I'd buy a game typed out by monkeys on typewriters if they hired a good artist.
So what was a poor game you bought just for the art ! I must see this art :)

aramis erak

Legend
So do you need a TTRPG editor if you want a TTRPG book edited?
You need an editor who is at least conversant in RPGs to reao the benefits of having one. If your editor can't understand it, they can't assess it adequately to be useful in improving it... at least past a certain point.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
A standard editor of written works that are not roleplaying games, don't understand what mechanics words need to be bolded, italized, first letter requiring capitalization - the nitty gritty of mechanics editing is why you require an editor with game system mastery at some level, aside from the skills of editing.

Remove ads