D&D 5E What Is the Iconic Artwork Of 5E?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
It is a problem with all editions. I can’t think of anything that really sticks with me from 3e, or 4e, or most of 2e or 1e even.

What “sticks” is that art that wowed me when I was young and new to the game. It is not better art necessarily, it was just new to me then, I was more impressionable, and I had lest context. Now, I’ve seen so much D&D art that any one piece has less impact.
Strangely, this isn't my experience. I technically was exposed to D&D first via 2nd edition, mostly vicariously through the Icewind Dale CRPG and the like. My first true exposure to D&D for serious "I want to learn this" stuff was 3e, and I do remember a lot about its style and presentation, though more in the "polymath's sketchbook" way than the art art.

4e, though? A bunch of its art is burned into my brain. And that despite the fact that most of my exposure to it came via the web because I used DDI rather than buying books most of the time, subbing only as needed. Edit: 4e doesn't even have the "childhood memories" angle, because it came out when I was an adult. So I really have no idea why 4e stuck harder than its companions. Maybe I'm just a big fan of the style used by the main artists (I do quite like Ben Wootten, William O'Connor, and Jason Engle, who all did quite a bit of art for 4e.)

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It is a problem with all editions. I can’t think of anything that really sticks with me from 3e, or 4e, or most of 2e or 1e even.

What “sticks” is that art that wowed me when I was young and new to the game. It is not better art necessarily, it was just new to me then, I was more impressionable, and I had lest context. Now, I’ve seen so much D&D art that any one piece has less impact.
I dunno, I started witth3.5, and I kind of hate that art style?

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
For me, two images for 5e that stick in my head are the fighter and wizard from the class chapter. The fighter especially looks awesome, I think he reminds me of warriors from the Conan comics.
Yeah, the Fighter here is probably the only 5e official art that really sticks with me. I didn't personally care for how stooped the Wizard looked, but it's not a bad image by any means. Which is sort of my "problem" with most of 5e's official art. It's not bad. It just sort of...slides off my consciousness.
i dunno this sorcerer art from the PHB always stuck with me, like i really felt the raw power they're bending to their will, it felt really dynamic, most of the other class art...didn't to me, but this was a sorcerer being a sorcerer
sorcerer.png

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't know of 5e will have any iconic art, largely because there is a lot of it, and a lot of it is good so it would be hard to narrow it down. Also, it seems to take decades for an art piece to be considered "iconic". When someone mentions iconic D&D art, I bet 95% of it would be TSR era art that comes up.

I think it would be easier to ask, "Which 5e artist will be iconic?" In that case, I think it's got to be Tyler Jacobson.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I really like WAR's dynamic style, but the dungeon-punk aesthetic always turned me off.
I am really not a fan of Wayne Reynolds, specifically. His style is just not my jam, combined with the dungeonpunk thing not being appealing.
I don't know of 5e will have any iconic art, largely because there is a lot of it, and a lot of it is good so it would be hard to narrow it down. Also, it seems to take decades for an art piece to be considered "iconic". When someone mentions iconic D&D art, I bet 95% of it would be TSR era art that comes up.

I think it would be easier to ask, "Which 5e artist will be iconic?" In that case, I think it's got to be Tyler Jacobson.
Most D&D players started with 5E, so I seriously doubt they would think of TSR art before they think of 5E art.

But yes, Tyler Jacobsen is the MVP of this past decade.

Remove ads