What is the point of GM's notes?

Emerikol

Adventurer
A related thought:

Upthread I gave a brief account of the episode of play, in our Prince Valiant game, in which the squire PC was knighted by an NPC as the result of an attempt to just ride past him after he refused to joust with a mere squire. In a "neutral" approach the GM would consider the personality of the NPC, the customs of knighthood, etc and extrapolate a "realistic" likelihood of the NPC knighting the PC. But in our game I simply called for a Presence vs Presence check. This keeps the focus on what is at stake for the character in the scene rather than how often do squires get knighted by proud knights so as to create fitting opposition for those proud knights. I think only the second would count as exploring the GM's world.
This is actually an interesting insight. It likely goes to the root of why I prefer my style. For me this is very much an immersion verisimilitude thing for me. When I first read your example of the knight knighting the squire, I swear my first thought was “Is this Monte Python?”. So this is useful at sussing out the “why” we have different perspectives.

pemerton

Legend
This is actually an interesting insight. It likely goes to the root of why I prefer my style. For me this is very much an immersion verisimilitude thing for me. When I first read your example of the knight knighting the squire, I swear my first thought was “Is this Monte Python?
Whereas I had in mind the scene in the film Excalibur in which Percival is knighted so that he can joust to defend the honour of Queen Guinevere.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
This is actually an interesting insight. It likely goes to the root of why I prefer my style. For me this is very much an immersion verisimilitude thing for me. When I first read your example of the knight knighting the squire, I swear my first thought was “Is this Monte Python?”. So this is useful at sussing out the “why” we have different perspectives.
Gah. No, this just displays your unfamiliarity with the genre conventions. To someone that's familiar with Arthurian Romance tropes, @pemerton's scene is a classic example and plays straight down the verisimilitude lane for that genre. That you're unfamiliar with this, but familiar with the spoof of that genre (Holy Grail), just shows your level of awareness, not an underlying difference in approach to verisimilitude. There's probably tons of things in your game that read the same way to someone that's seen The Gamers but doesn't know much otherwise. You've pointed out something that absolutely goes directly to verisimilitude of the intended genre and called it a fault -- which really doesn't say anything about the techniques but instead just about what you prefer/are aware of in terms of game genres.

Arilyn

Hero
Whereas I had in mind the scene in the film Excalibur in which Percival is knighted so that he can joust to defend the honour of Queen Guinevere.
I really like this scene in your example. Having the play squarely focussed on the squire, whose story this is, feels very Arthurian. Actually, it's just good drama, period, centering on character motivations and needs.

This then gets me musing about immersion. We can't have complete immersion in a rpg, sitting around a table, munching on snacks. Everyone agrees on that. There's an attempt at immersion, however, and arguments over what can encourage it, or break it. Meta mechanics, bad rules, hero points, shared authoring, etc. come up frequently in these discussions. I think, for me, it's mostly casual immersion, which intensifies substantially when I'm deeply caught up in my character's dramatic needs. With protagonist or story now games this is occurring more often, thus the sense of heightened immediacy I feel with these games. No coasting. I'm not even sure immersion is the right word for these moments. It is a markedly different way of playing, which may be one of the reasons for the arguments and confusion. There really isn't a need for all these detailed notes on locations and NPCs because the events bloom from the player characters' needs at the moment. And because these moments tend to feel more immersive? deep? real? (not sure of the best word), protagonist play is an attractive style. Player engagement is vastly increased.

I'm rambling because it's early in the morning here, and I didn't sleep well. This was going to be just a quick response, but I got caught up. The Prince Valiant example just got me trying to figure things out and why your example, pemerton, captures Arthurian romance with protagonist play.

Hmmm... This seems like a general truism of RP play rather than something meaningfully insightful about the play process of typical sandbox games or even your games. Of course the actual process of play tends to be messier at the table or the conversation between players and GM is not as rote as it's made out to be. That's basically tantamount to humans interacting over a game.

I think that this is why some posters struggle with your posts and would also like for you to self-deconstruct the "evocative," "metaphorical," or "romanticized" language because it obscures, whether intentionally or not, the underlying play process of "how it works." It can come across as "generic," "banal," or even "trite," which results in undercutting the message of what makes typical sandbox play work and how.

Well, I think part of it is we are not as interested in reshaping the core experience of play. For example DramaSystem, which I just mention because it is the game I am most familiar with that departs from general RPG approaches and really focuses on mechanics that deliver a particular experience, is all about reshaping and structuring the way scenes in games are introduced (and it is specifically structured around scenes, which most general RPGs aren't, or at least aren't in a concrete and explicit way: they may loosely resemble scenes). There is a whole procedure for establishing the scene, establishing who is in it, then characters needing to advance their agenda within the scene (and there are meta-currencies that work as carrots to drive drama). Laws clearly spent time thinking about the fundamental process and why he wasn't getting the drama he wanted in say a standard RPG. Most sandbox GMs are satisfied with the core process. For them, and for myself, the core process is working fine (and the core process might vary from group to group: but it is that fundamental exchange that most RPG books point to of the GM saying what the PCs see, the pcs saying what they do, and the GM ruling or saying what happens next---and obviously this is much more open and organic than that suggests because a lot of exchanges are fluid dialogue between characters). The things that matter to the sandbox GM are advice, tools, managing rulings, what not to do, etc. And I think that is because the big problem sandbox is interested in is avoiding railroads and avoiding GM as storyteller. I think the latter may be less true of old old school sandbox GMs (who maybe were running sandboxes prior to the 90s), but OSR sandbox GMs and people who came to it after the 90s I think were having the 3 pronged reaction against railroading, 00s encounter balance/structure and 90s storytelling.

For me it isn't a concern if the procedures are seen as trite, banal or generic. I would describe my style of GMing and the kinds of systems I gravitate towards as traditional, and there is an assumed culture of play around that. I think the focus for me is more on adventure structures, tools, making sure the table is functional, having fun, and long term campaigns.

Again I am not the best mouth piece, there are people much better than me at breaking down how to run a sandbox. I have always been much more intuitive and emotional in my explanation and descriptions of these things. All I can do is share what tools and approaches work for me (here I am answering some of the questions you raised in another post which I said I would get back to later). This all only applies to me but it is also stuff I have picked up over the years from the sandbox circles I travel in (I am definitely not a representative of 'pure sandbox'----my sandbox concept starts with Feast of Goblyns and that is very atypical):

1) Embrace that it is a game and embrace the role of surprise: I think this is really important. If the GM isn't being surprised, then I do think that is when you can start getting into the territory Pemerton is talking about of 'playing to discover the GM's notes' (which is how I used to describe my frustration with running those EL/CL based linear adventures back in 3rd edition D&D "I might as well just hand the player my notes" is pretty much what I felt after every game).

There is a lot here but I think important elements to this include letting the dice fall where they may, disconnecting yourself from your interest in the PCs survival and success, and disconnecting yourself from wanting the campaign to go in a particular direction

As an example, I had a session last night where the party was defeated by a psycho-path granny---its a wuxia scenario so she was powerful---who put them in coffins and dangled them over a chasm. Her method for killing was to set 'feast beetles' on the coffin which would eventually kill those inside (the process is elaborate but this is enough for the example). This was a ticking clock situation where I decided based on what I knew about this character that she liked to torment people and would first kill the person the party had come to rescue (who was in a coffin beside them). So I marked down a bunch of boxes indicating the number of rounds it would take for the feast beetles to reach and kill her, then marked the round at which point the old lady would set feast beetles on the party (so I had a concrete sense of how much time the players had to escape before each of these things happened, knowing it was still flexible because the old lady could react to their actions). I also clearly noted the integrity of the coffins they were in, the integrity of the ropes they were bound by. Then I made sure I ran every segment of the situation by the book, and I kept consulting with the players to see if they thought a particular ruling was fair. If I didn't have a clear answer on what a ruling would be, because of how dangerous the situation was (they were helpless in coffins so I wanted to be as fair as possible) I talked with them about things like "What do you think the Target Number should be here" or "Is it fair in your opinion for me to require an Athletics roll for you to cling to the side of the cavern after you make your jump". None of the previous information is super important, but it is just being put down so you can see my process (hopefully I have laid it out enough). We basically went round to round, taking each character's actions step by step. It was more granular than normal because of the situation (if there were not such high stakes, this moment might have moved a lot faster, but I wanted to chart every step for fairness)

The important thing here is this old lady is a serial killer in the setting whose homestead and cavern complex I have mapped out, who I fleshed out before hand. I have about two paragraphs on her (which is the most I like for any NPC, though I will do more if I need). It is a simple cavern complex but the chasm is above a pool of water that leads into a cave where another former martial hero lives (another old woman in this case) who is imprisoned and under the effects of a special poison to make her subservient (she lives passively in the cavern making baskets and coffins for her captor even though she is technically powerful enough to beat the old lady who imprisons her, because her will is so depleted). I designed this whole arrangement as a nod to a couple of scenes in Condor Heroes and Return of Condor Heroes (where the main character (s) is cast into a dire imprisonement situation but finds themselves in the company of a great master. This is somewhat artificial. But I am okay with it from time to time. The key thing though is as this is playing out, while it would be great for the party to find themselves at the bottom of the cavern in order to discover this old lady, that isn't the point of play at all here. I need to not care if they encounter her or not, so that means not doing even subtle things that would direct them to the fact that going down the chasm is possibly a safe, fun or good idea. It so happens in this game one of the characters had a really bad roll and fell into the water and they ended up there anyways. But the point here is when I run these kinds of situations, I need to be content when the players 'miss' something and never learn about it. Now it is living, so the two old ladies are 'still in play' in the game (there could be a time later when one or both of them become relevant again) but if the players just went up and escaped and never came back, that is fine by me. The other point of this scenario was I set up everything very procedurally and business like. When I talked to the players, I wasn't being dramatic or anything (my delivery is pretty dry actually). But I was intentionally making this scene the same as if I was noting stock or keeping an accounting book. Because I didn't want to save or try to kill the party. I wanted it to be as above board as possible. So there was a woman there they were trying to rescue. She was on a timer basically. If they broke out and freed themselves, they could have saved her, if they failed she would die (in this case they failed and she died). By the same token, one or all of them could have been killed by the feast beetles. The point of this kind of moment is I don't know how it is going to turn out at all (and the previous session before they arrived, it was the same, I didn't know they would end up in those coffins when they confronted the old lady (I knew that was her modus operandi, so she would definitely do that to them if she could, but I had no investment in a dramatic cliffhanging scene like that when the fight happened).

2) A world created: Definitely an established world designed with geography, structures (in the old school annales sense of the word---my world building is very Fernand Braudel inspired), pre-history, history, myth (and the reality of that myth), is the starting point. People all approach this differently. The Rob Conley posts I linked are a deep dive into pretty granular approaches to dealing with climate and weather (I am not as scientifically minded as him on that front). I liked having firm ground on which the living world concept plays out. And that means I usually begin with cosmology and some general concepts of where I want to go, then I start with a planet, followed by a continent or continents, then I start mapping out the early stages of people on that map (which will vary according to the specifics). So just as an example in Sertorius I placed the first humanoids on the map (who were all created by various gods), noted their languages, and then charted the changes in something like 500 year chunks (sometimes longer sometimes shorter). In this step I am doing one map for each era and figuring out migration, movements of language, development of things like early city states, until I eventually get to something like looks like a world at approximately the stage of the time of the Han or Rome. There might be a golden era in the past too (as there was in Sertorius where you had an orc and an Ogre Empire loosely modeled after the details of the Ramayana/Ramakien. In this case there was a cataclysmic event, the killing of a god, that unleashed magic into the world. The movement of languages is pretty important to me. I like to know how people and languages evolved in the setting over time. This helps me to name locations, and it also helps me understand how things like dungeons might be placed in the setting (I am not big into dungeon crawl but I do have a lot of underground tombs and limited complexes in the style of old conan stories). In Sertorius I spent a lot of time working out the languages. Not all of them got he same treatment (one was essentially just 'not latin'), but my 'not arabic' language actually got pretty deep because I studied Arabic and wanted to bring some of the structural elements that I liked to it, and I also wanted to play around with how things like official titles can vary by region. In Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate, I focused less on the early movement of people, and more on the development of what became the empire of the setting (which is in the setting is a song Dynasty Analog). And this was done in the way I charted out the movement of peoples in Sertorius (should note that these maps are not in the sertorius books themselves as it seemed to expansive to commission them at the time, but in Ogre Gate I was able to include most of, but not all, my maps of the different eras leading up to the present empire). I also focused the underlying principles of the cosmology in Ogre Gate (which helped me as I made the setting). After I have all that, I start focusing on present day details: cultural elements (i.e. imperial exams, calendars, institutions, sects, laws, marriage, etc). In Ogre Gate there is the geography fo the world itself and the empire and political powers. There is a lot more than this probably but the overall point is to create a place that has foundation to it, that does't feel like it is shifting around the players at my whim or their's.

3) Living World: This is the heart of sandbox play for me. At least it is very crucial. Just to repost where I take this concept from, here is the Feast of Goblyns entry:

1617460600802.png

1617460623784.png

Now, this might be considered banal here to posters. I don't know. But for me this was a light bulb moment that radically changed how I played and enabled me, at least in the context of things like monster hunts (I wasn't running sandboxes at all at the time) to have a more lifelike, surprise filled, and open type of adventure.

But the living world to me is the stuff that exists in the created world. So this is where you really bring the things like institutions, sects, NPCs to live, this is where the motion int he campaign is in terms of things existing independent of the PCs. However on a slower scale some of it is stuff like geology (i.e. earthquakes, comets, floods, etc). It serves two functions, one is simply to have a world that exists and is in motion on its own.

So when I make my calendar I often plant specific future events on the calendar (earthquakes, assassination attempts, etc). I also have a table called the Table of Future events which I can roll on periodically. It has three stages after you roll on the initial table to find where the event occurs. The first is for monthly events. Usually this is something like "A new local magnate emerges", "Disaster Strikes a village or town", "A new song, poem or work of literature gains populatrity", or "bandits plague the region". Typically not terribly important and the table I find needs regular updating simply to improve the entries and refine them. But if you get "Roll on Table II" that brings you to Major Event or Development (this is a result of 2 on a 2d10 roll). Table II has results like "Two martial sects go to war", "Minor Invasion", "Key figure in martial world dies", "Natural Disaster", or "Minor Uprising occurs". This table has a result of TABLE III: HISTORICAL TURNING POINT; which is a result of 2 on the table (maybe higher chance than the real world but good enough for a game setting). Table III includes things like "new trade good discovered", "Moral Panic Spreads", "State Collapses", "Major Invasion", "Major Uprising Occurs", "Government Starts Major Project such as a canal or other works", etc. This stuff can sometimes be exciting, but mostly it is to keep the world moving and in a state of change around the PCs.

The other function is more directly connected to the players and that is so the world reacts to them, and is filled with characters who are not just sitting there waiting for them to go on an adventure and find them. If the players become involved in the martial world for example and start wheeling and dealing, they will start meeting characters who have goals of their own and things could pan out in any number of ways depending on what the players do and what the NPCs do (either as a product of their motivation on its own or as a response to something the players do). These characters form groups, move around, change plans, adapt, etc. The way this is done is primarily around making NPCs with clear motivations, charting out alliances and group relationships, tracking what these NPCs are doing as the players do what they do. So say they meet scholar Han and piss him off for some reason (like they don't like some scheme he has going on and put an end to it), but they leave it at that. He might go and hire three men to help him kill the party and come after them (or maybe he goes to the empire and seeks their help, informing officials that the players are wanted men. Sometimes I simply play such characters like I would a PC. I know Scholar Han is after them, so I decide what he is doing each session, and I decide what he does during the session. Sometimes I give this role to a friend not in the campaign to make the NPC more ferocious (in which case I let them make decisions about actions and resources between sessions). Other times I rely on my grudge tables (if I have six NPCs or Sects after the party, that might be unwieldy, and their grudges can slip my mind, so I have a regular table I roll on that includes anyone they have a grudge with and occasionally they simply come up as a result (and the rythym of the tables feels about right to me). Mind you, this is all in the context of a wuxia setting, so grudges are important, it is the only aspect of living NPCs, and even in the wuxia setting there are lot more kinds of relationships than this. This principle extends to sects, government,s etc.

4) Exploration: This is probably where a lot of the issues are coming from in this thread. This is a hard one because every sandbox GM handles it differently. Some use hex crawls (most use hexes either way even if not crawling). Some take a more open approach. When it comes to things like local explorations (dungeons say) you often see the classic gygax or moldvay approaches. Justin Alexander has a whole in depth exploration of hex crawls for example. Rob Conley has a discussion too where he talks about the ideal size of hexes (the baseline hex in his view should be about the limit of human vision, so characters can see to the edge of each hex effectively). I don't think there is a one true way here. I am, as you might guess, much more lose and hand wavy around this. I do all theater of the mind and I am not that into rigidly doing a hex crawl or tracking turns in a dungeon. I like things fluid. Still I have my tools. In my case Survival Rolls are a big part of it. Players can say they go wherever they want, but this will require a survival roll by one member of the party (presumably the person with the highest roll). Survival is an open skill and can be taken for different terrain (cities, wilderness, underground, seas, etc). For travel, it is basically one roll a day, if you fail you have an encounter. But on the local level, or through more dangers terrain, it may be more frequent. So a dungeon might be every ten minutes make a roll (and many dungeons would have additional encounter tables on top of this). With cities, I use wards or quarters as dividing lines, so rolling survival anytime you move from one quarter to another (and players can always roll survival in a city for things like trying to get information: though the point of contact with an information roll will usually be played out in 1st person). There is obviously a lot more to explication than just this, but it is a big topic so I will leave this here for now and can follow up if you have any questions on it.

5) Encounter Tables: This are a pretty important tool in most sandboxes and I have found there is a real art to putting together workable tables. Again they are tool, and most sandbox GMs consider tools optional. But I use them consistently int he ways mentioned above. I like to layer my tables and pin them to regions. And so the first table might be things more like local law enforcement, bandits, fated encounters, imperial officials, grudge encounters, local sects, etc. The next table will be more dangerous threats: sheriffs, large numbers of bandits, imperial agents, et. Rolls on these tables can lead to Local and World personality tables (where I put all my characters in the setting who are local, followed by a table for all the characters in the setting itself). On top of all this, I am always free to just have an encounter happen. And again I do drama sandbox, so sometimes my encounters will be more than just rolls on a table.

6) Rulings: This is pretty fundamental to most sandbox games I have been in. Obviously it depends on system, but the idea is, when the players propose doing something that isn't covered strictly by the rules, you elaborate on existing mechanics to provide a resolution for that request. This is so it doesn't feel like they are always pushing on buttons and that taking specific actions can have more specific outcomes. There are other ideas in rulings as well but this is just the simplified version. It isn't unique to sandbox, like most of this advice, but it is important.

7) Scenery smashing: A good sandbox game runs itself, and one way that you allow that to happen is by letting the players tear apart your world: kill NPCs, take over things, form alliances, form grudges, start their own organizations, get embroiled in conflict with groups, destroy institutions, build institutions, join institutions, etc. This is I think very important. Again this might seem pretty banal, but when you lean into allowing players to weld their power how they like, even if that means going in wild directions you don't expect, it starts to give the campaign its own scene. And I think the GM needs to maintain a mindset where 1) he or she doesn't have strong expectations of what is to happen---you might have plans because the campaign was going in a certain direction, but your 'stance' (in the martial sense, not the GNS sense) should be neutral, relaxed, flexible. You should be avoiding feeling any resistance to the players saying that want to go this way, do this thing (with obvious exceptions like things you simply don't want to happen at the table for moral reasons or something),etc. The idea is to honestly think through what the consequences would be and go with it. Even if the players do something outrageous like amass serious power (which you shouldn't just hand to them but if they legitimately obtain it), instead of feeling the campaign is negatively impacted and needs to get on course you adapt and realize 'this just means there are new complications and activities for them to deal with and pursue). Again, it may seem banal, but it is something we learn to resist and so it can take effort to do

8) Organizations: This is covered in living world but deserves some focus. I like to give numbers of members to my organization, stats for disciples, stats for senior disciples, stats and entries for 'named members', full descriptions of the organization, its purpose, its headquarters, its leader. If I can I sometimes provide names for all of the members if the group isn't too big (and the names often serve as clues to personality or motives). Then I usually map out the different groups, noting whose in conflict, who has alliances, what goals they are perusing etc. Often my campaigns tend to focus around organizations and institutions.

Hopefully that answers some of your questions. My mind is a little fuzzy today so I rambled a lot.

Last edited:

One of my dearest friends is a very long time gamer. Your post here reminds me of him. He is extremely critical of genre films because all he sees is trope and contrivance, whereas my position is the opposite; “Well, that is the point of these films...I don’t want to read 200 alleged genre stories with no trope through-line present so I can hopefully one day hit the lottery and find a genre story about these types of characters in this type of provocative situation that results in a collision of these particular ideals/aspirations.”

Put another way, for some reason, he takes each individual film as if they were part of a larger milieu (rather than self contained with their own inevitable literary device as propellant), and then, due to this (in my opinion extremely odd) cognitive framing of clustering these films into a population and expecting a distribution of events that leans heavily toward thematically-neutral or willfully inattendant to dramatic need or genre device, he finds himself constantly saying “well OF COURSE this thing happened (cue his eyeroll).” He sees contrivance everywhere in genre films because of this clustering and mental modeling that he does.

I can run Dungeon Delves and thematically-neutral Hexcrawls all day long for him, but that is where it ends. He stays away from the rest of my games.

I suspect you have a similar neurological disposition that you cluster things like this, impose a mental model on the population, expect a particular type of distribution, and see contrivance when that distribution is skewed. There are more than a few people like this.

As you read my Dungeon World and Blades excerpts from this thread, I imagibe you wincing at the contrivance. As you feel about @pemerton ’s Prince Valiant game, you would similarly hate the experience of my Dogs, DW, AW, Blades, 4e, and Mouse Guard games (irrespective of your issues with mechanical architecture and GMing techniques).

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
For me it isn't a concern if the procedures are seen as trite, banal or generic. I would describe my style of GMing and the kinds of systems I gravitate towards as traditional, and there is an assumed culture of play around that. I think the focus for me is more on adventure structures, tools, making sure the table is functional, having fun, and long term campaigns.

As far as I am aware no one is saying that the procedures of sandbox play are trite, banal, or generic. What's being said is that your commentary is generic and does not actually describe the play process. That it is a romanticized description of how you want to feel while playing the game. That the goal of feeling like your character in that situation and the world feeling real is not a unique feature of sandbox play, but a shared goal that applies to many sorts of play. It's a significant part of the GM's Agenda in games like Apocalypse World and Blades in the Dark for instance.

Part of what is making this discussion difficult for me personally is that you are speaking for all sandbox GMs instead of just speaking to your own play or specific games. Your speaking about sandbox play like none of us have ever done it because we have different perspective on things. Please do not say "Sandbox GMs do this" or "Sandbox GMs do that". Just speak for yourself and games you have designed.

I have run sandbox games in RuneQuest, Stars Without Number, Moldvay B/X, D&D 3e, The Nightmares Underneath, and Silent Legions. I have utilized sandbox techniques in a host of other games. I have also played in a number of sandbox games. I do not like being talked to in a way that assumes because I have a different perspective that I lack relevant experience and knowledge.

Last edited:

Part of what is making this discussion difficult for me personally is that you are speaking for all sandbox GMs instead of just speaking to your own play or specific games. Your speaking about sandbox play like none of us have ever done it because we have different perspective on things. Please do not say "Sandbox GMs do this" or "Sandbox GMs do that". Just speak for yourself and games you have designed.

I have run sandbox games in RuneQuest, Stars Without Number, Moldvay B/X, D&D 3e, The Nightmares Underneath, and Silent Legions. I have utilized sandbox techniques in a host of other games. I have also played in a number of sandbox games. I do not like being talked to in a way that assumes because I have a different perspective that I lack relevant experience and knowledge.

I am trying to speak for myself, but sometimes general points about sandbox are made, and sometimes it is by people who don't seem to be very interested in sandbox play, so I try to speak generally about it. It isn't a commentary on what you specifically know or don't know (though it may be we have different experiences with sandbox play: in the same way that other posters occasionally talk about PbtA so people who don't play those games in this thread know what they have in mind). If I am saying something about sandbox play that strikes you as outrageous, questionable or not general (and more my personal take) happy to answer that or clarify.

Last edited:

As far as I am aware no one is saying that the procedures of sandbox play are trite, banal, or generic. What's being said is that your commentary is generic and does not actually describe the play process. That it is a romanticized description of how you want to feel while playing the game. That the goal of feeling like your character in that situation and the world feeling real is not a unique feature of sandbox play, but a shared goal that applies to many sorts of play. It's a significant part of the GM's Agenda in games like Apocalypse World and Blades in the Dark for instance.

I honestly don't know how I can respond to this. I am doing my best to convey what I mean. I have tried to give examples in many of my posts about the specifics. I just posted one that goes into greater elaboration. Like I said I am not the best mouthpiece. My purpose in posting in this thread wasn't to create a map of sandbox processes, it was simply to push back on the 'playing to discover the GM's notes' label being affixed to that and other styles.

And by the way I have said many times that I don't feel 'living world' is unique to sandbox (i do think it has particular meaning in the way I am using it, but I am sure other games are striving for that). I've tried many times to explain what I mean by living world. The purpose of it isn't to attack other people styles or experience e

@Bedrockgames --- I'd say there are 2 very distinct events as an RPG participant that formed my eventual dissatisfaction with "living world" play.

The most recent was in 2018, when a very good friend of mine made a valiant attempt at running a "living world" campaign using the Shaintar campaign setting for Savage Worlds. Unfortunately, his efforts were thwarted in a number of ways.

One, he didn't seem to trust himself to improv or create elements on the fly, nor adapt well. To the point where he wouldn't even create names for things himself; he literally looked up a name generator online to create names of anything that wasn't locked down by the campaign setting.

Two, while he was clearly doing some GM prep, it was all very "wrote," or generic, with almost all of his ideas based on things provided in the campaign setting. There was no imagination, no attempts to connect the characters to the greater setting, nothing.

Third, there were just general gaps in his knowledge/experience as a GM that could have improved the experience. I made a few very casual attempts to suggest some things, carefully trying to couch the language as something I was interested in seeing and doing, rather than something he wasn't doing---"Hey, I've been thinking, I think it would be cool if my character and Player X's character maybe had a connection to this guild, I think it would create some cool synergy for the group." "Hey, I really like way you framed the situation with the Kalimar Empire, what do you think about giving us some way to change how they're oppressing their people?" But he was obviously swamped just trying to keep up with all of the normal "operational overhead" of GM-ing, because he'd nod and say all the right things, but you could just see he was suffering from deer-in-the-headlights-itis trying to process it all.

And none of this is due to lack of ability. He's a senior software engineer, who largely self-taught all of this coding knowledge. He's more than capable of digesting large, complex bits of data.

The result was one of the more frustrating games I've experienced as a player. Not because it was entirely unfun, but because it had the potential to be so much more. It was very emblematic of what I suspect most "average" RPG players experience with an "average" GM, participating in an "average" fantasy campaign setting. There were bits of fun, some occasional hijinks and laughs, and while I don't regret doing it, by the end you could basically see every piece of the facade he was throwing up. You almost had to force yourself to not look behind the curtain. And it was all the more frustrating because I personally was invested in my character's backstory, and felt like there were so many hooks just waiting for him to use that just got left dangling.

Equally formative was a game I ran myself back in 2014. It was again Savage Worlds, this time in a homebrew fantasy campaign of my invention. This was a campaign I had lovingly detailed. I created my own world map in Photoshop. I outlined factions, leaders of factions, rulers of the various nation-states. Key NPCs, key organizations.

At this point in my GM career I had already started to implement "best practices" for sandboxes as I understood them --- create scenes and situations, not plots. Be open to player input. As much as possible, say yes or roll the dice. Be fans of your players, but don't let them off easy.

And for the first 8 months of the 15-month campaign, the whole group, players and myself included, were having too much fun to really worry about more than the next session ahead. It was going great. It was everything you hope a campaign to be.

But somewhere around the 9-month mark, I began noticing something that bothered me. The magic of the "living world" started to wear thin. The thrill of the players "exploring the world" wore off. Despite all my hard work, the artificiality of the construct was starting to show through the seams.

It started to feel like that challenges were ultimately being solved in one of two ways---either I had prefabricated 2-4 solutions, and the players were just supposed to figure out how to get to one of them, or I was saying "yes" to as many player suggestions as possible, and then just letting their solution stand. And it's not as if I was trying to actively thwart them, or use "secret backstory" to cut off avenues of success. Perhaps I simply wasn't giving them the right kinds of challenges, or at the right difficulty level.

But eventually it started to feel very dissatisfying. It felt like I was just pulling strings, or play was devolving into "Mother-may-I?" Occasionally I started wondering, "Would it be better to just railroad them to Scene 24, because that's what's interesting and connects to all of these other super cool things they've somehow managed to avoid or ignore?"

Looking back, I still recall the campaign fondly, but there's still this shred of unease when I reflect on it, like somehow I failed my players in getting the second half of the campaign to live up to all it could have been. And it's not that there weren't threads for the players to pull on. My goodness, there were so . . . many . . . threads. So many things they could have tugged on and ran with if they'd straight up told me, "We want to do this."

And here's the final kicker --- one of the players in the campaign was and is my undisputed best friend on planet earth. We've known each other since high school, and have maintained that friendship ever since.

He and I both share a love of theater; we both acted in plays in college. He has all the chops and know how to really dig in to a character and make it his. But yet oddly, his character was the weakest characterization in the campaign. Despite having every tool in the toolbox to really "immerse" in his character, he was by far the biggest pawn-stance player in the game. So whatever merit my "living world" sandbox had, it didn't even rise to the level of getting my best friend, who's a talented stage performer, to have an "immersive character experience."

So despite everything---all my preparation, all my loving intent, all of my best effort to run a player-facing sandbox---the experience fell short in some ways. There were many, many moments of tremendous fun and energy, but there were enough missteps, gaps, and holes in the experience that I couldn't say it was an unqualified success. A success, yes, but not an unqualified one.

Truthfully, I began to question, "What exactly am I expecting from my RPG play in the first place?" Part of me felt I roleplayed because eventually it would lead to some truly satisfying character exploration (as I outlined in this EnWorld thread early last year). But that wasn't happening. And despite the fun and early energy my "living world" had produced, by itself it wasn't able to sustain engagement in the way I was looking for.

So when I poke and prod at the construct of a "living world," it's partially coming from a perspective of dramatic tragedy---it's an ideal that simply cannot live up to the expectations I have for it. "Living world" play feels like it should be the perfect cure for making roleplaying exactly what I want it to be, but my own experience demonstrated that it was insufficient by itself.

I am definitely not here to challenge a Road to Damascus moment in gaming if you had one. Just because living world resonates with me, and just because it works for me at the table, I don't expect it will work for everyone else.

Here is what I can say about your post in relation to me: I think we are actually seeking something very different. For example, you mention immersion and your friend's stage acting. I don't particularly care about the performative aspect of players being their character. I recognize this is a game played by people who are not professional actors, I have no acting skills myself, some people are great performers and really ham it up at the table (which is fine) but my delivery is very dry and business like. My main interest when it comes to immersion is the players feeling like they are in the characters shoes in the situation, making decisions that matter, saying things hat matter. But it isn't really about acting, it is more about everyone getting lost in what is going on. And it is also still a game. I may use language like "Living World" that people here feel is too flowery, and I a may take an intuitive, 'shamanistic' approach to feeling the world, but I am very much a 'chill GM'. I am there to have a good time, to enjoy the company of friends, crack jokes, and just see what happens in the game. I am not there hoping to have some magnificent, life altering experience. It is a game. Some sessions are great. Some are middle of the road, and some fall flat. Finally I think we just had very opposite experiences. For me the living world got better as time went on. The longer the campaign, the more it comes to life for me. I find by the two year mark the players are really invested in the world, able to navigate its characters and organizations better, and are actively contributing to the living world in ways that allow for the sandbox to 'run itself' as Justin Alexander said in the video.

Again none of this is to take away form your experience. That is the experience you had, clearly living world and sandbox fell short of your expectations. That is fine. I wouldn't expect this style to appeal to everyone or to work for everyone. I fell out of love with adventure path type games, yet most of the hobby seems to enjoy them (so there must be something to them I am not getting).

Remove ads