What is the point of GM's notes?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I was just going to say that all these thoughtful posts were messing with my head.......we need some terms to define and argue about!!!
We do not need terms in order to have an argument. In this post I will

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, Blades isn't about passing the conch at all. When it's great, it's about everyone writing poetry about the conch at the same in an improv circle where you finish each other's sentences. The collaboration that you get in that play ennvironment might, I think, represent a different kind of immersion that the usual single POV sandbox variant.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
For me personally that feeling of being in a writer's room is something I have always tried to avoid. For me personally what I have always enjoyed about Story Now play is that by making players responsible for protagonism and GMs responsible for honest adversity we can get to a point where we all get to be an audience and like active participant while keeping the act of authorship in play to a bare minimum.

For me personally authoring is a necessary evil with emphasis on the evil. When we start to embrace the authorship side of things we provide like this release valve that can be used to tune the tension down. It opens the game to player side railroading which for my tastes is just as pernicious.

Not saying the writer's room experience is not a valid way to play. Just not one I tend to look for or value personally. I tend to want to ground the player's perspective as much as possible with their character. Selective use of authorship prompts can sometimes aid in this, but I try to keep it somewhat limited. A desire for bleed is part of this, but just as important from my perspective is providing an environment where players (including the GM) get to experience the unfolding narrative as audience members.

prabe

Supporter
For me personally that feeling of being in a writer's room is something I have always tried to avoid. For me personally what I have always enjoyed about Story Now play is that by making players responsible for protagonism and GMs responsible for honest adversity we can get to a point where we all get to be an audience and like active participant while keeping the act of authorship in play to a bare minimum.

For me personally authoring is a necessary evil with emphasis on the evil. When we start to embrace the authorship side of things we provide like this release valve that can be used to tune the tension down. It opens the game to player side railroading which for my tastes is just as pernicious.

Not saying the writer's room experience is not a valid way to play. Just not one I tend to look for or value personally. I tend to want to ground the player's perspective as much as possible with their character. Selective use of authorship prompts can sometimes aid in this, but I try to keep it somewhat limited. A desire for bleed is part of this, but just as important from my perspective is providing an environment where players (including the GM) get to experience the unfolding narrative as audience members.
I agree that I want people to be experiencing the events of the game more than consciously writing them. When I compare TRPG experiences to writing experiences, it's because those are the experiences I have to compare them to. As someone who always found writing to be an immersive experience, I obviously don't see authorship as the evil you do--though your viewpoint on that is at least as valid for you as mine is for me, and I'm entirely uninterested in talking you out of it.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
If my example sounded like a writers room, I apologize (and I see how you'd get there). That wasn't where I was going with that metaphor. It's more like a bunch of guys riffing on the same core stuff, each taking turns at soloing. Not really a writers rooms at all. When it's the best you can't wait for your turn because the thing you want to add is just that cool. It's a harmony, not taking turns so much.

prabe

Supporter
If my example sounded like a writers room, I apologize (and I see how you'd get there). That wasn't where I was going with that metaphor. It's more like a bunch of guys riffing on the same core stuff, each taking turns at soloing. Not really a writers rooms at all. When it's the best you can't wait for your turn because the thing you want to add is just that cool. It's a harmony, not taking turns so much.
I think your description reminds me why I keep coming back to my time in basement/garage bands as a comparison for TRPGing.

Remove ads