What is the point of GM's notes?

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
That's also not really what flashbacks in Blades do. They only effect established scenes in the fiction, specifically the current scene. You could flashback for some blanks for the gun in your example, but only if the shooting scene was currently playing out and the trigger hadn't been pulled yet.
But you couldn't flashback to set up a bulletproof vest with red dye in under their suit so when the bullet hits the vest and they stumble and fall back off the boat, they swim safely down and away instead of not having the vest on and dying?

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
But you couldn't flashback to set up a bulletproof vest with red dye in it so when the bullet hits the vest and they stumble and fall back off the boat, they swim safely down and away instead of not having the vest on and dying?
Sure you could, but that's the other character, so it might be a separate flashback if you're doing both. It really depends on the events leading up to the scene, as the GM's first point of adjudication in Blades is always to respect the established fiction and it's consequences, so the nuance of the actual game we're spit-balling here would have a significant impact on the decision making process. If that other character had been searched, for example, you couldn't retcon in a vest that would have certainly been found, for example. Or if the gun had been given to you by someone else you couldn't just retcon in blanks, you'd also have to make some kind of slight of hand move to to swap the ammo. Am I making the difference clear there?

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Sure you could, but that's the other character, so it might be a separate flashback if you're doing both. It really depends on the events leading up to the scene, as the GM's first point of adjudication in Blades is always to respect the established fiction and it's consequences, so the nuance of the actual game we're spit-balling here would have a significant impact on the decision making process. If that other character had been searched, for example, you couldn't retcon in a vest that would have certainly been found, for example. Or if the gun had been given to you by someone else you couldn't just retcon in blanks, you'd also have to make some kind of slight of hand move to to swap the ammo. Am I making the difference clear there?
You aren't making the differences clear because there are no differences (which in general, not with you in particular, is a recurring theme today) that's how I figured the game works, it uses the unestablished elements of the fiction as a resource to establish things that happened in the past.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
That one example, within those listed constraints, yeah. But you floated a bunch of ideas upstream about what flashbacks were for that aren't really examples of how it works.
I did not, we're discussing (in the abstract) the "Rodney and Joey Fake Rodney shooting Joey" example, the only distinction between that and your clarification is if the flashback specifically had to be established before the gun was fired. There weren't really any other examples at work.

Unless you're talking about: "Blades in the Dark is probably trying to simulate the literary device of a flashback as its used in a heist movie, you see the thing happening and either a suspenseful question is posed (did that person really die? why is the person doing that? how'd we end up here? is this really it for our heroes?) and then we're shown the parts of the story that answer our questions. It builds tension because when we lack the set up, we don't know all the information that might reframe the events."

Because if so, I was discussing the story structure of the technique being used, as in heist movies, not Blades in the Dark's mechanic (since again, I have no idea what it says.)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I was just clarifying about the timing and onscreen vs offscreen possibilities, none of which were clear in your example (through no fault of yours). That literary example was one I wanted to address as really not what's going on, as the Blades mechanic is more specifically modelling the kind of flashbacks you see in Oceans 11, not flashbacks more generally, which can take many forms.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You must have a huge beef with heist movies or any movies that play with the linear story sequences.
Not at all, as there I'm watching someone else's story and as long as it's entertaining they can tell it any old way they like.

Huge difference from a situation where I-as-character am moving through time sequentially; and when action A leads to consequence B or C or D then IMO action A has to be done first rather than starting with consequence C and backfilling how things got to that point.

Remove ads