Pathfinder 1E What is the point of self-hindering grab ability?

PnPgamer

Explorer
Let me elaborate the question a bit more. For example, I am looking at the stat block of an Annis Hag. The annis hag has respectable abilities more towards physical nature; with 3 attacks, damage resistance, spell resistance, rend for bonus damage and grab...why does annis hag have that grab?

The hag doesnt have anything which would combo with the grab ability, and if she goes for grapple anyway, she can only use single attack from next turn onward and cannot use her rend ability. There are multiple other monsters that seem to have this self-hindering grab ability, but annis hag is the one that i was looking at recently and i wanted know what is the point of giving them that ability.

I assume that i have correct knowlesge of grapple rules, but anything in there that i dont immediately realize?

You can also consider this as GM advice, since ive been thinking on using a hag coven of various types in my campaign.

Thanks beforehand!

Last edited:

tommybahama

Adventurer
The description of the annis hag is horrific. I assume she grapples her victim while slowly dissecting them with her free hand to make her skin suit while the victim is still alive. 😱

I don't play pf but I see she has fog cloud and blind fighting. That would be a powerful combo in D&D, trading one attack for advantage for you and disadvantage for your opponent (if your opponent doesn't have blind sense).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Not everything on a 3e/PF creature's stat block is expected to be used in any typical combat with a group of PCs. Sometimes, the ability is part of the broader picture of the creature - useful in their day-to-day activities rather than encounters with PCs. And being able to grab a victim, particularly a lone traveler or child, would be pretty useful.

PnPgamer

Explorer
The description of the annis hag is horrific. I assume she grapples her victim while slowly dissecting them with her free hand to make her skin suit while the victim is still alive. 😱

I don't play pf but I see she has fog cloud and blind fighting. That would be a powerful combo in D&D, trading one attack for advantage for you and disadvantage for your opponent (if your opponent doesn't have blind sense).
Thats a good catch, especially for someone who doesnt play pf1e! It works true in the system (its a separate concealment roll which if fails the attack is a miss. The feat allows a reroll on this.)

PnPgamer

Explorer
Actually I figured a tactic that could be useful if the hag wants to kill someone but not able the target to flee:
Make a full attack, grab the target and prevent fleeing.
Next round release as free action and then do a full attack again and then just grab with claws again.
You get full attack action worth of damage and keep the target still.
Add on top of that spellcasting difficulties, inability do anything that requires both hands...

Last edited:

Remove ads