what is the rarest class race combo?

Amal Shukup

First Post
Kalendraf said:
Thinking thru all the 3e/3.5 campaigns I've participated in as a DM or player, these are the combos I've never seen played or used for NPCs:
<snip>
Gnome Druid
Gnome Paladin
<snip>
Half Orc Paladin

I'm yoinking this as a 'to do' list :)

Kalendraf said:
Halfling Paladin

I see these ALL the time... The smaller pokemounts fitting easily into dungeon settings make 'em awesome...

A'Mal

diaglo

Adventurer
megamania said:
I can not say I ever seen or heard of a dwarven monk. Seems kinda comical :)

check out the story hour in my sig.

howandwhy99 is currently playing one.

half-orc sorc i would guess is the least chosen combo.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
On the other hand, I've never heard of a half-orc bard (which eats up both of a bard's strengths).

First character I ever played in 3.0.

Filthy Ike, Half-Orc Bard at large, but in charge.

Inspired by the voice of the narcoleptic Argentinian from Moulin Rouge singing Roxanne. :cool:

Fun stuff.

Was not a power character, but the laughs were there.

IIRC, had S16 D10 C14 I12 W10 C12

But he also multi-classed with Barbarian later on, he was a musician
with...an attitude problem. :]

Gez

First Post
I'm currently playing a Warforged Healer in NarlethDrider's PbP.

I admit the core concept was the "reverse artificer" -- instead of a guy with a knack for repairing constructs, a construct with a knack for healing people.

Oddly enough, gnomes IMC are far more likely to be monks than bards. You know, with their racial ability with illusions, they were IMO more likely than other people to come up with pseudobuddhist philosophies like "everything's just an illusion, learn to see through" and all that. Besides, they are a very wise race IMC.

Re: Aasimar Wizard, there's one in Shemeska's story hour (and it is one of the PCs).

In my homebrew campaign world, here are the most unlikely combos for each (PHB) races and classes:
Dwarf: Sorcerer
Elf: Paladin
Gnome: Barbarian
Halfling: Cleric
Human: Druid

And now, the three most likely combos for each (keeping the same core limitations):
Dwarf: Fighter, Cleric, Paladin
Elf: Barbarian, Cleric, Rogue (the elven arcane tradition IMC is the Elementalist -- a.k.a. Wu Jen in D&D terms)
Gnome: Druid, Wizard, Monk
Halfling: Rogue, Bard, Ranger
Human: Fighter, Rogue, Cleric

If I broaden it to the full spectrum of classes I use, there are a few changes. Dwarves are more likely to be runethanes than paladins, elves to be wu jens than cleric, etc.

Last edited:

just__al

First Post
saethone said:
i smell a drunken boxer!

Wow! Seriously, wow. I'm almost hoping my cleric dies in our current game just so I can play a dwarven drunken master. It's going to happen sooner or later, but that just sounds like the coolest thing ever. Seriously...

Hmmm.. or maybe an NPC in the 8th level game I'm running when it's my turn back in the big chair. Probably not though because their big ally is an Aristrocat/Monk/Drunken Master.

Of course the Dwarf could be his Sensai....

howandwhy99

Adventurer
diaglo said:
howandwhy99 is currently playing one.

This isn't quite accurate. Fextor is a Justiciar PrClass, so I dipped into Monk for two levels for all the hand-to-hand fighting abilities. I thought up a backstory of who he would have learned this from as I doubted he could have joined a monastery.

Least common class combo? I'd say 1/2 ORC Noble. Outside of Eberron that is.

afreed

First Post
In response to earlier posts, I've seen a gnome paladin (whom the party met when trying to return Shatterspike to its rightful inheritor), and I'm including an aasimar assassin in a PDF I'm writing.

It seems to me that you rarely see bards outside humans, half-elves, and (perversely) half-orcs. No one ever plays dwarf bards....

I've always wanted to include an opium-smoking dwarf monk in a game. Probably would fit well in Eberron.

Remove ads