• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the right super heroes system for my campaign?

Corathon

First Post
As Spatula said, more information would be helpful.

V&V is definitely more slender than Champions, etc., and a new edition came out a few years ago.

Marvel Super Heroes (TSR's "FASERIP" system) is dead simple, especially without the Advanced elaborations. There's a retro-remake called Four Colors.

Isn't V&V character generation random? I've never played it, so maybe this is a misconception, Random PCs wouldn't be a good fit for the game described in the OP.

knightemplar

Explorer
The original V&V was randomly rolled for powers to be begin with, but quite a few ignored that like in the original MSH games. I have not seen the new V&V to answer for that version.

From what I am reading, I like the new Marvel Heroic. I have not had the chance to play it yet though.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying will work, as will the new game Capes, Cowls & Villains Fowl (CC&VF)... both are games designed to mimic comic book stories and have narrative features. MHR character creation is basically pick what you want that fits with the vision of the character, and it's not possible to have a broken character as long as everybody is on the same page and while CC&VF has character points, it's pretty simple to create characters... much simpler than Champions and M&M.

ProtoClone

First Post
Would MHR be able to replicate the power of the Green Lantern rings, and all of the other rings as well?

From what I am finding, that particular power is quite powerful. Seems like, from other forums, replicating the rings powers can border on breaking a game. How would MHR handle this?

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Would MHR be able to replicate the power of the Green Lantern rings, and all of the other rings as well?

From what I am finding, that particular power is quite powerful. Seems like, from other forums, replicating the rings powers can border on breaking a game. How would MHR handle this?

Can you describe what the ring does along with it's limitations please?

From what I have experienced MHR can handle a Justice League game with no problems and no imbalance, which for most supers games is tough to do, but MHR is built with a different paradigm of design than many traditional rpgs.

If you want a list of all the fan made characters people have created for MHR, go to this link. Lost Files of Marvel! ? Fan-made Datafile Index

Last edited:

ProtoClone

First Post
Can you describe what the ring does along with it's limitations please?

From what I have experienced MHR can handle a Justice League game with no problems and no imbalance, which for most supers games is tough to do, but MHR is built with a different paradigm of design than many traditional rpgs.

If you want a list of all the fan made characters people have created for MHR, go to this link. Lost Files of Marvel! ? Fan-made Datafile Index

Green Lantern (GL) Power Ring (according to wiki): No hard upper limit to the power ring's capabilities has yet been demonstrated; it is often referred to as "the most powerful weapon in the universe."

The power ring's most distinctive effect is the generation of green, solid-light constructs, the precise physical nature of which has never been specified. The size, complexity, and strength of these constructs is limited only by the ring-bearer's willpower; whatever the wearer imagines, the ring will create.

When active, a power ring will encase its user in a protective, life-supporting force field. This force field allows the user to fly, travel through inhospitable environments (outer space, underwater, etc.), and enter hyperspace in order to move vast distances quickly.

Power rings also appear to be highly advanced computers; they are able to talk to and advise the wearer as to various courses of action, as well as act as a universal translator. The ring can also scan for energy signatures or particular objects. For more intricate problems or problems that require a back logged history (Of a planet, person, group, ETC.), the ring connects with the main power battery on Oa which is the "main" computer, of sorts.

Power rings are able to give off electromagnetic radiation of various frequencies. This radiation can be focused by the wearer into a beam, similar in appearance and effect to a powerful laser. The ring is also capable of producing an electrical current...A power ring is also capable of creating fully functional duplicates of itself.

So, you kind of get the point of what the GL rings can do. The others varies on the emotional spectrum they are attuned to, but most are capable of the same as the GL power ring.

At the time of things leading up to BN, the GL power ring had no real weakness. The yellow impurity had been removed but the GL Corps were still unable to use lethal force if necessary. So while they were able to combat yellow lanterns, they could only subdue them and imprison; this didn't always work.

Also, can't forget, the rings need to be recharged after a period of use. The ring worked much like an rechargeable electronic device in that it needed to have it's batteries recharged after the wearer used for extended periods of time.

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
Yes. There are several fan-created examples in the link that Stacie posted.

Breaking a game how? Can the rings travel through time? Grant unlimited wishes? Render all other characters obsolete? (and if so, why isn't the JLA known as Green Lantern & Friends?)

ProtoClone

First Post
Breaking a game how? Can the rings travel through time? Grant unlimited wishes? Render all other characters obsolete? (and if so, why isn't the JLA known as Green Lantern & Friends?)

I guess they could do the Superman thing and fly counter rotation around the world fast enough to turn back time, essentially time traveling. :}
With the ring being only limited by the imagination of the wearer, you would get something very close to unlimited wishes.

Ok, the other question...Yes, IMHO, a GL ring could render all other characters obsolete. Where would the fun be in that, though? Yes, a single Green Lantern would have a lot to contend with on a one-on-one basis, and it would be a tough fight against some supers, but the ring could provide a means to do it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The answer to almost any question with regard to RPGs is: Run the one you like best or at least the one you like running best.

However, since I'm guessing you don't have a lot of broad experience with the various superhero RPGs out there, that's why you asked in this thread.

I have experience with V&V, Champions, TSR's Marvel Heroes, and Mutants and Masterminds. They're all good and handle different aspects of the superhero genre a little differently - each with strengths and weaknesses. But you've set yourself up for a bit more of a challenge no matter what system you use because you're focusing on a storyline with characters that have largely unbounded powers. Power rings can do virtually anything and creative players will make that challenging. I might suggest running a prelude chapter for your game in which you run some backstory event with the players running more standard superheroes with more bounded and defined powers. This gives both of you some experience in working with the system before you inject power rings into the mix.

am181d

Adventurer
I played the new Marvel RPG at Gencon this year and had a great time.

For my home game, I run a lightly modded version of the old Marvel FASERIP system from the 80s.

Both great options.

Remove ads