• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the single best science fiction or fantasy franchise?

MGibster

Legend
Oh, I'm not denying that. But best fantasy, which is the question asked here? I think not.
I think its in the running for best for some of the same reasons a Trek in that it's permeated into our culture in a way few other fantasy series have save for maybe Frodo or Conan. I don't even particularly like it, but it's a franchise that's left an indelible mark on at least one generation.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think its in the running for best for some of the same reasons a Trek in that it's permeated into our culture in a way few other fantasy series have save for maybe Frodo or Conan. I don't even particularly like it, but it's a franchise that's left an indelible mark on at least one generation.
You can't deny its influence, and I feel that has to be a metric. I'm a fan of most of it myself.

Not just influence, but staying power. Some of these science fiction/fantasy franchises have been around for years if not decades.

As for influence, consider the RL tech that was invented because of a science fiction series. Ex. Star Trek communicators/tricorders= the ubiquitous smart phone. ;)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You could day the same thing about the Oz books, but I wouldn't put thst down as a contender for this crown.

MGibster

Legend
Not just influence, but staying power. Some of these science fiction/fantasy franchises have been around for years if not decades.
It's difficult to have these kinds of ranking systems because there's often a bias towards the more recent releases. Plus there's really no objective measurement of best. Dune is an excellent franchise and Herbert influenced many authors. Heck, Warhammer 40k's setting was influenced by Dune.

Remove ads