What is the speed of a laden horse? (Strategic movement in D&D)

So I was thinking about horse-mounted travel. Horses are faster than humans, so wouldn't you expect that riding horses makes you faster?

But I'm not sure. I did a bit of research on the internet, which we all know isn't entirely accurate. A typical fit person walks 3-5 miles per hour. A horse typically walks ... 3-5 miles per hour. I'm not sure if that's for a horse laden with a rider and a modicum of gear. (I read a horse can easily carry 30% of its weight. Surprisingly, a mule can only carry 20%.)

A horse can run much faster than a human of course. A horse's place in combat is pretty obvious. But a horse can't run for long. In fact, I'm not sure a horse can walk for long. Humans have incredible walking endurance (while we gave up our ability to climb trees easily and run fast, we can outwalk pretty much anything). Horses still get tired, and more so if they're carrying weight. Furthermore, managing horse morale isn't much like managing human morale. People will endure a lot of pain and exhaustion if it means rescuing their hometown, stopping an invasion, or maybe just the chance to loot someone you don't like. (Giving the typical horse the Endurance feat in 3e or the Endurance skill in 4e might not make much sense.)

Let's suppose a horse can walk 4 miles per hour while laden, and a human can walk 4 miles per hour while unladen. At first glance, it seems like riding horses makes sense. The horse can effectively travel faster than laden soldiers, and soldiers shouldn't go around with armor and weapons. But the horse will tire out before laden walking humans would. Assuming the humans rode, afterward the relatively-rested humans could get off their horses and ... well, no not really, not unless you've some sort of efficient horse trading system. (That kind of thing certainly existed for messengers, but not armies, or more to the point, small bands of adventurers.)

In any event, most versions of D&D give horses a higher base speed (rather than a similar speed and much higher charge and running speed) and I presume most other RPGs do something similar. In 4e, a horse can move twice as fast as a laden human, and in 3e I think even faster. If horses instead had an "overland" speed at the same rate as an unladen human, and had less endurance, there wouldn't be a point of riding a horse unless you were carrying a lot of cargo.

Since people did in fact use relatively fast cavalry forces, there's something wrong with my logic train. Someone want to give it a checkup? If horses can't walk faster than (unladen) humans and get tired faster, what non-combat advantage do they give?

Nagol

Unimportant
Horse are faster than humans over short distances, but not over the long haul.

The advantage is a horse can carry more and the person doesn't have to walk. Just because I can out-walk a horse doesn't mean I want to!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yar, the phrase "beast of burden" is for a reason. The horse can't go much faster than me over the long haul, but it can carry a HECK of a lot more than me (plus me!), leaving me plenty of energy to do other stuff in the day as well.

The advantage of a horse, for most of their owners, historically speaking, was the advantage of enhanced labor -- it could multiply your productivity. Militarily, it added some speed and power, but most folks in history weren't cavalry, and its ability to haul junk around made it useful in the everyday.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Normally villages are about half a days walk apart - say 10 miles. A human walking does that in 3-4 hours.

A galloping horse can do that much quicker.

Wiki - Pony Express said:
In 1860, there were about 157 Pony Express stations that were about 10 miles (16 km) apart along the Pony Express route.[6] This was roughly the distance a horse could travel at a gallop before tiring. At each station stop the express rider would change to a fresh horse, taking only the mail pouch called a mochila (from the Spanish for pouch or backpack) with him. The employers stressed the importance of the pouch. They often said that, if it came to be, the horse and rider should perish before the mochila did. The mochila was thrown over the saddle and held in place by the weight of the rider sitting on it. Each corner had a cantina, or pocket. Bundles of mail were placed in these cantinas, which were padlocked for safety. The mochila could hold 20 pounds (9.1 kg) of mail along with the 20 pounds (9.1 kg) of material carried on the horse. Included in that 20 pounds (9.1 kg) were a water sack, a Bible, a horn for alerting the relay station master to prepare the next horse, a revolver, and a choice of a rifle or another revolver.[13] Eventually, everything except one revolver and a water sack was removed, allowing for a total of 165 pounds (75 kg) on the horse's back. Riders, who could not weigh over 125 pounds (57 kg), changed about every 75–100 miles (121–161 km), and rode day and night. In emergencies, a given rider might ride two stages back to back, over 20 hours on a quickly moving horse.

So when you need to pass a message or time is of the essense having horses makes a huge difference.

The intarwebs rate horse speed as 30-40mph at gallop for horses built for endurance speed. So Each town would be a 20 minute ride apart by galloping horse.

So essentially the horse mounted folks could gallop ahead and scout or make preparations while the troops in foot would catch up in 3 hours.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I'm personally fond of the story of Caesar Rodney, who rode 80 miles in one night from Sussex County, Delaware, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to vote in favor of American independence -- not something he could have done on foot.

I guess in short; horses are good for strategic sprints (longer if you have many remounts). I guess the Mongols had the advantage of many remounts plus not carrying that much gear, relative to their more heavily-armored opponents.

Remove ads