D&D General what is the unifying theme of gnomes?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I thought occurred to me what is it that all gnomes share other than liking gems they could all be different races completely and no one would notice?

Does anyone have any idea what all types of gnomes share from both present editions and past verities?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Does anyone have any idea what all types of gnomes share from both present editions and past verities?

They are terrible.

But less terrible than elves.

And while you think that they might share less of a common theme than elves do, I suggest finding the common denominator between the three billion, four hundred million, five hundred thousand and thirty eight varieties of elves that we currently have.*

Elves are like Baskin-Robbins ice cream- so many flavors, all of them terrible.

In comparison, gnomes are fine.

*Number are approximate, yet accurate. Search your heart- you know it to be true.

Reynard

Legend
They are terrible.

But less terrible than elves.

And while you think that they might share less of a common theme than elves do, I suggest finding the common denominator between the three billion, four hundred million, five hundred thousand and thirty eight varieties of elves that we currently have.*

Elves are like Baskin-Robbins ice cream- so many flavors, all of them terrible.

In comparison, gnomes are fine.

*Number are approximate, yet accurate. Search your heart- you know it to be true.
I take deep offense to this. There is nothing worse than a gnome.

Except a gnome bard.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I think there are a few sources for gnome tropes that have been very influential for D&D...

One is the various Books of Gnomes that were very popular for a time. They portray gnomes as tiny forest people, industrious caretakers of nature.

1656944149985.png

The other is the fairy tale of the Elves and the Shoemaker. Sure they're called elves, but they're tiny magical tinkerers, and I think that helped inspire gnomes.

1656944116813.png

Attachments

• 1656943978525.png
    1656943978525.png
    3 MB · Views: 56
  • 1656944021595.png
    1656944021595.png
    3 MB · Views: 50

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I take deep offense to this. There is nothing worse than a gnome.

Except a gnome bard.

Ha! That's yet another reason gnomes are fine. Gnomes- they might tinker. They might creep you out in the garden. They might pop up in some instagrams traveling around the world.

But you almost never see a gnome bard.

Your average bard lover? Yeah, they love themselves some elves, too. Elves and bards go together like annoying co-workers and "Hot enuff for ya?"

Shake a troupe of bards long enough (something I delight in doing) and you'll get at least 29 varieties of elves falling out.

Agametorememberbooks

Explorer
Publisher
I have a hard time of thinking of gnomes as either; forest-dwelling caretakers or scatter-brained tinkerers (thank you Dragonlance).

As far as unifying themes; creativity, out of the box thinking, “squirrel”

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
being very small, curiosity, cunning and ingenuity is what link Gnomes of all types. Being small innately curious creatures they want to get in to everything around them but that leaves them exposed to larger menaces. Thus they must rely on cunning (trickery) to stay out of trouble and their ingenuity to negotiate obstacles.
That cunning and ingenuity can lead to to interest in illusion or tinkering or anything else a gnome wants to do

BookTenTiger

He / Him
being very small, curiosity, cunning and ingenuity is what link Gnomes of all types. Being small innately curious creatures they want to get in to everything around them but that leaves them exposed to larger menaces. Thus they must rely on cunning (trickery) to stay out of trouble and their ingenuity to negotiate obstacles.
That cunning and ingenuity can lead to to interest in illusion or tinkering or anything else a gnome wants to do
This is a great synopsis.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases