Level Up (A5E) What is the vision of the high level fighter?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
But that's the warlock.

There's a whole battle on how the fighter should look after level 12. Lots of complaining. Very few examples of what is wanted.

yes it’s the warlock and it’s based on the same premise and has no complaints. Thus the basis that other characters can do something means the fighter can’t have that as a class feature is dead on arrival. That won’t hold back design because it’s not a legitimate argument.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
yes it’s the warlock and it’s based on the same premise and has no complaints. Thus the basis that other characters can do something is dead on arrival. That won’t hold back design because it’s not a legitimate argument.

Warlock's outight magical. The community is fine with altering those.

People here aren't willing to give fighters a squire or a fort.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Warlock's outight magical. The community is fine with altering those.

People here aren't willing to give fighters a squire or a fort.

I say they don’t have any reason to be against the fighter getting such things. Their explanation fails as demonstrated by the warlock and their non issues with it.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
sure it is. It just takes time to chip away at the illogical. It’s not an instantaneous defense but it will win out in the long run.

I don't know if this project is waiting 5 years. :LOL:

-----

I think the best course of action is to create 5 subclasses for the fighter. They would range from the mundane to downright overt supernatural.

My choices would be

1. The Fighter-Lord
    • Type: Mundane
    • Features: Apprentice, Choice of Magical Ally, Bonus Charisma
  2. The Mastermind Fighter
    • Type: Mundane
    • Features: Maneuvers, Bonus skills and Expertise, "Just as Planned"
  3. The Action Hero
    • Type: Slightly Superhuman
    • Features: More Action Surge. 2 Action Surge in a turn, Movie logic
  4. The Mythic Fighter
    • Type: Superhuman
    • Features: Maneuvers, d20 superiority dice. Ability scores over 20.
  5. The Chosen One (Anime Fighter)
    • Type: Practically magic
    • Features: Flash Step, Afterimages, Cutting spells in half, Theme Music

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
to me 20th level is meant to be a bit crazy sauce. At that point, I would expect a Hercules that is now more god than man, more than just a “strong fighter” but a “divine avatar”.
Hercules raising the dead by getting drunk and wrestling death up to three days after the death yes.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
The possibilities are more or less known. The issue is that everything gets turned down. No spells. No flashy superhuman abilities. No blatant supernatural abilities. No stronghold. No followers. No gifts or boons. No guaranteed magic items. No expertise. No movie physics. No comic book physics. No anime physics.
This is where we have to be clear: No design will ever make everyone and their myriad opinions happy.

The designers have a clear idea of how they want "martials" to act and how they want "casters" to act. Casters have more options to be used to bypass the skill system, but they give up their combat ability. Martials have more combat prowess, reliable until HP 0 at all levels, but uses the skill system just as any other class.

Some disagree because everyone should have the same opportunities but Wotc aren't filthy commies, uh, I mean...the point is that if you want less options and decisions, choose a martial. If you want more decisions and options, choose a spellcaster. Want something in the middle? Choose the half or third casters.

They've already given us a fighter with the ability to have substantial options both in-and-out of combat and we've placed this arbitrary rule that it can't have spellcasting, even though the only reason we say that is because it doesn't feel right, yet there's no logical reason why someone would feel such a way. We don't have a problem with magic from a fullcaster's perspective.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You mean the DM had made a scenario where Hercules got to fight death and the DM got tired of running the grapple-only combat so he gave Hercules the victory?
Arranging for an NPC with a mortal illness was certainly the DM scenario. Hercules had divine heritage nobody else was seeing the incarnation of death. If he was someplace else people would have called him a shaman interacting with spirits. (Or he got soused out of his mind and that was a requirement for him to tap into that part of his heritage). Did he actively hang out because it required he be there for when the soul would leave the body?

This one might point out the Mythic characters might see invisibles and be better able to damage incorporeal entities I think

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases