• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is this bird, anyway?

Gilladian

Adventurer
Thanks for all the good suggestions! Now that I look carefully at the Imp, that's exactly what he is, with the very minor substitution of "parrot" for "raven" and the addition of the chameleon color-change ability being explained as his natural hide score.

And he's gonna make a real point to stay well away from Icestar the Unicorn!

I'm hoping that this plot will play itself out in a matter of a few weeks, so the darn thing doesn't have to stay concealed for very long.

Why risk it getting detected by detect evil? Make it be a neutral shifter druid (PHB2) who just happens to be allied with the villain, but who, after betraying the party to the villain, might decide to team up with the party because he feels guilty.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
Gilladian said:
I've attached a magical bird to my party. He's the evil henchbird of the BBEG, but the PCs just think he's a random magical parrot that they rescued from wicked exploiters of intelligent creatures.

I've given the bird chameleon-like capability (changing colors from bright to dull only, really) and I've made a point of him avoiding getting near the unicorn (modified to be less powerful) that travels with the party.

But I don't know what his other abilities should be. He's there to spy on the PCs and report back to the BBEG on their capabilities. Any ideas on what this creature could be? He's never going to be a real foe, but in case it matters, the PCs are closing in on 10th level rapidly.
Does the bird call out, "Hurley"?

Gilladian

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
Why risk it getting detected by detect evil? Make it be a neutral shifter druid (PHB2) who just happens to be allied with the villain, but who, after betraying the party to the villain, might decide to team up with the party because he feels guilty.

Well, I'm kinda expecting that finding out the bird is evil and reporting to the BBEG will be the last straw that forces them to go find out who he is and confront him. After all, he's been picking on them for months. They can't quite understand why, but the bird will force the issue and make it all come out, I hope.

And they've already fought one druid bad guy ally of the BBEG, so a second might seem kinda repetitive.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
He's not evil...

He's not a familiar...

He is a person (a prince or princess, perhaps) who has been polymorphed into the bird shape the party sees, and is magically enslaved to the BBEG. He must do the BBEG's bidding if he ever hopes to win back his freedom and natural shape. However, he retains just enough free will that he can occasionally subvert his master's will...

Have you ever seen It Waits? (Bad film!) It contains as its main redeeming feature an African Grey Parrot who is probably smarter than any other character in the film. He alone can detect the monster before it takes any action, and usually announces its presence with a suitably parroty "Uh-Oh!"

(Of course, nobody makes that connection, and they try to set him free to save himself...)

This bird could do much the same- occasionally warning the PCs of some impending doom planned by his hated master. This would give him a second chance to return to normal- getting the party close enough to the BBEG to defeat him!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads