What is wrong with 4E?

waysoftheearth

First Post
Hello Forum Members,

Before you read this you should know that I haven't played 4E yet. I have read the rules entirely at least twice... and for what it's worth here's my impressions so far:

I had high expectations of 4E. I really wanted it to be great. I had my core rule books pre-ordered many months ago, and had them in hand about an hour after they became available. Now that I've spent a few days with 4E I can't seem to shake a growing feeling of disappointment.

So what's wrong?

The standard of the physical product isn't what I thought it would be. The pages seem thin, and are covered in a shiny veneer which is annoyingly reflective. More surprisingly, the pages don't even lie flat or flush together -- instead they lie wavily atop on another, and are unevenly cut around the edges. Some of the headings are not a single, clear, black typeset, but are instead a blurry CMYK foursome. And worst of all, the hardback covers warped within an hour of being removed from the plastic shrink wrap. My PHB doesn't even close neatly anymore -- instead the right-most edge of the front cover floats half an inch open.

A bit disappointing, but it's what's in the books that matters most, right?

So, onto the content. The very first thing I noticed was that there is a lot less of it than in the previous edition. Quality beats quantity every time, but I was quite surprised that 4E was so much briefer. Some quick counting revealed that the 4E core rule books combined are about 125 pages shorter than 3.5E, and are conveyed in fewer than 2/3rds as many words.

The rules must be communicated more succinctly then, I tell myself, and read on.

Yes, some stuff has been cut. Barbarians, bards, druids, monks, sorcerers, half-orcs, gnomes and multi-classed characters are all gone. The equipment lists have been cut back too. But that is not it.

The thing is this: There seems to have been a real shift toward a functional game. I agree that it is great to have a beautiful game system that is easy to play. But even at the expense of what it is meant to describe?

In previous editions of D&D, the emphasis was largely on form before function. Skills, feats, spells and so on were described in terms of what they did in the game world. The mechanics of how they worked within the rules was secondary. Sure, many times the rules themselves might have been broken -- but since you knew what the intent was within the game world, you could easily "fix" the rules so that function served form.

In 4E the pendulum has swung the other way. Function reigns supreme. PC feats and powers and so on are described in term of game mechanics. There is little if any attempt to suspend our disbelief -- the short descriptive phrases accompanying many of the PC powers feel adolescent and gimmicky. These descriptive passages are even referred to as "flavour text", cementing the prose (such as it is) as unnecessary fluff around the actual mechanics.

The equipment prices also seem to reflect game function rather than materials and craftsmanship. The fact that many items cost a multiple of 5 gp is clearly intended to make calculations easier for players, but ends up being another detraction from the believability of the game world.

Finally, on character design, I can't help but feeling that the designers have tried to do too much thinking for the players. This might be great for new players, but it is so limiting for veterans.

That there are fewer character classes will no doubt be remedied with future releases. But there is less also less of a distinction between classes -- a 4E class seems to be just bags of feats and powers to choose from. Because any character can do anything, a player's choice of class is far less significant.

And although a few stereotypical variations are provided for each class (called builds) these also seem to decrease the player's choices rather than increase them. The designers have fleshed out these stock builds -- making many key choices for us -- so that it is easy to create one of these characters. But as many PC powers are tied directly to these "stock builds", there seems to be less incentive for players to explore unanticipated synergies in the rules and design their own builds. I really hope there is more to it than this.

So I guess my fundamental disappointment is that, upon reading only, 4E seems to have become far less believable. It seems so much more a game now, and so much less an experience.

I reeeeally hope that the game play will relieve my concerns.

Thanks for reading :)

windoze9x

First Post
I will admit I didn't read your whole post. You touched on a point I'm a little upset about.

I am also a little angry with the way the pages are all curly and such. Did they change printing companies??? My cover also doesn't really close flat either. I imagine maybe with time these pages will straighten out. It's really disappointing though to buy a book at cover price for $35 and then the pages are all wavy. I think the art and the cover and everything look great though. I'm still not sure on the rules. Waiting to play.

Stone Dog

Adventurer
I've been pretty happy with 4e so far. I've liked every preview. I love SWSE. I've rolled my eyes at some of the marketing, but hey... at least they were enthusiastic.

Then I read the books a bit and all joy and anticipation was sucked out of me.

4e is my Gray Waste of roleplaying. Sure, it sounds perilous when you talk about it... but when I actually got there I just couldn't get excited about anything at all.

Bleah. What a pity.

waysoftheearth said:
The standard of the physical product isn't what I thought it would be. The thing is this: There seems to have been a real shift toward a functional game. I agree that it is great to have a beautiful game system that is easy to play. But even at the expense of what it is meant to describe?

In previous editions of D&D, the emphasis was largely on form before function. Skills, feats, spells and so on were described in terms of what they did in the game world. The mechanics of how they worked within the rules was secondary. Sure, many times the rules themselves might have been broken -- but since you knew what the intent was within the game world, you could easily "fix" the rules so that function served form.

Two things:

You're comparing 4E D&D to the D&D or other sacred-cow game system you came from.

Instead compare it to an inventive form of Cops and Robbers. You invent a method of conflict resolution and start working up from there. This is a game that is like any other RPG with some Form, in that it is participant-molded experience.

Yet Cops and Robbers is already a better Form of game than anything a company can sell you, on the merit that the players are in absolute control of the pace and storytelling capability.

Hoewver a game without a good Function spends X minutes repairing itself from the Nah-UH Ya-HUH that could rather be built in a better Functioning game.

If you are sacrificing X minutes to things like corner-cases (Grappling), wildly broken systems (polymorph), or Game-Warping optimization holes (multiclassing), the game is already lessened for it. The Form is whatever you had to begin with - X amount of time.

Which ties into my next point-

There is no "pendulum" or "spectrum" of Form vs. Function, because Form is a given for a participant-molded game.

If it is important to determine the location of the Monster's food, than the participant will determine its location. In the same way: Economic systems, world politics, and alternate classes are all the work of the player within a system to create the Form they prefer.

So as long as there is a functionally sound base game for which to ensure the least amount of time lost to Nah-UH Ya-HUH, the Form will be the sum or synergy of all participants.

Sitara

Explorer
I was excited during the early previews, but after reading the experiances and reports from DDXP my excitement wavered. A bit of burnout + not really fond of what I had seen. Then after KOTS was released I came back on baord and now with the release of the boks my excitement has resumed.

Yes, it is gamey. Yes many powers break suspension of disbelief way too much and thus will have to be tinkered with, at least flavor wise. But overall it seems like a tight and great GAME. I am preparing an epic pbp campaign and have also signed up for a few games, time will tell but I am excited.

Durlok

First Post
Intense_Interest said:
If it is important to determine the location of the Monster's food, than the participant will determine its location. In the same way: Economic systems, world politics, and alternate classes are all the work of the player within a system to create the Form they prefer.

So as long as there is a functionally sound base game for which to ensure the least amount of time lost to Nah-UH Ya-HUH, the Form will be the sum or synergy of all participants.

Unless I misunderstand, you're just saying that the DM and players can fill in fluff. While true, that takes a lot of work - honestly, I'm not sure it's any less work than tweaking iffy mechanics. For those who don't *have* a lot of time to write/rewrite functional fluff, this can be a problem.

Durlok said:
Unless I misunderstand, you're just saying that the DM and players can fill in fluff. While true, that takes a lot of work - honestly, I'm not sure it's any less work than tweaking iffy mechanics. For those who don't *have* a lot of time to write/rewrite functional fluff, this can be a problem.

I don't see how balancing all your encounters around Scry-Port, Polymorph, and Flight isn't a lot of tweaking iffy mechanics. Or trying to ensure that the "Skill Monkey" has his 5 minutes to shine while the other 3 guys sit around and twiddle thumbs.

If your personal or game-groups Form is increased by working on things like an Arcane Defender class or even by creating a suite of Ranged-Attack Warlord powers, then the Function of the game doesn't lessen as long as you work within it. The investment of time is close to even being an expression of Form the more you find the puzzle of game balance to be an enjoyable task.

And yet if you don't have *time* to write new things, the game is still there and promised to work exactly as it was before: The Form is the same because your investment, like working out the food source for a dungeon, is a sum of the participation.

The thesis being that the Form that you have isn't created by an exchange for Function, while a lack of Function is always a hamper to the Form.

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
waysoftheearth said:
Never saw the 3e books, did you?

waysoftheearth

First Post
Hello Intense_Interest,

Thanks for your comments, please see below for my reply:

Intense_Interest said:
Two things:

You're comparing 4E D&D to the D&D or other sacred-cow game system you came from.

Yes, I am comparing 4E to previous versions of D&D. I believe that since D&D 4E has the "D&D" brand name all over it, it makes very good sense to do so. The publishers are using the D&D brand name to associate 4E with previous editions of the D&D game that many potential customers know and love. They are, in effect, setting our expectations that this new game will resonant with fans of the existing D&D game.

Intense_Interest said:
Which ties into my next point-

There is no "pendulum" or "spectrum" of Form vs. Function, because Form is a given for a participant-molded game.

I believe there is a spectrum of form versus function.

At the form extreme of the spectrum would be a perfect game environment without a game system. Everything about it would be described in beautiful, evocative detail, but it wouldn't be much of a game because there would be no rules to govern interaction with it.

At the function extreme of the spectrum would be a perfect game system without a game environment. It would be abstract and totally perfect, but not much of a game because while it would work perfectly, it wouldn't actually describe anything meaningful.

It's my view that the best RPGs are those that are able to find just the right balance between form and function.

Thanks again for your comments :)

WhatGravitas

Explorer
waysoftheearth said:
And although a few stereotypical variations are provided for each class (called builds) these also seem to decrease the player's choices rather than increase them. The designers have fleshed out these stock builds -- making many key choices for us -- so that it is easy to create one of these characters. But as many PC powers are tied directly to these "stock builds", there seems to be less incentive for players to explore unanticipated synergies in the rules and design their own builds. I really hope there is more to it than this.
Seriously? I love these builds. I, as a gearhead, can easily ignore them - they're only limiting if you keep telling that yourself. But my girlfriend, who likes D&D, but isn't that hot on the mechanical aspects of 3E, looked at it, said "control wizard" and knew what she wanted to play.

That's a big plus - if you're not a mechanics guy, 4E allows you to dive in straight with a build - and you're not going to be bad!

And if you like experimenting, you'll find a lot of interesting combinations and possibilities - just imagine what stuff you can snag with the multiclass feats.

And this leads me to form over function: Well, function does reign supreme - but form doesn't necessarily suffer, as long as you still see it as "roleplaying game", look at the first chapters in the PHB, look into the chapter of the DMG - there's a lot good and new advice for roleplaying. I think even a bit more than before, because with clearly defined function, you're now free to define the form as you want.

What you lose is this: Showing off how smart you are (that's a general "you", not anybody specific). That was done by "poking people's eyes out with mage hand" and s on - by trying to bend and deliberately misinterpret the flavour of spells and abilities.

And for "the same price everywhere" - eh, no price is and was ever realistic. If it'd be realistic, every town, every city, every merchant would have different prices.

Finally, I'd like to say: Go, play the game! Give it a whirl! Several people noted that 4E has a case of "read bad, plays good".

But I agree with you concerning the flavour texts - I don't are for'em and I'll make up my own for my characters.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads