What is your biggest RPG heartbreak?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
My first time going to Gen Con when I was in high school I got a chance to play a short demo of Gary Gygax's new game with Gary as game master. It was awesome to met and speak with him, but the game was...

Cyborg Commandos

I lied about liking the game and said I was going to buy it after getting money from my parents, which was another lie.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
My first time going to Gen Con when I was in high school I got a chance to play a short demo of Gary Gygax's new game with Gary as game master. It was awesome to met and speak with him, but the game was...

Cyborg Commandos

I lied about liking the game and said I was going to buy it after getting money from my parents, which was another lie.
I was probably 20 and went to Gen Con in Milwaukee. I had my AD&D players and other books ready for an autograph, just in case.

In a booth was Gary Gygax and one other individual. There was no line at this moment. I debated with a friend about getting his autograph and ultimately decided not to bother him.

a quarter century later I am still annoyed with my youthful social anxiety. Some years later I sent an email and got a response from him.

He said if you are at a con “do buttonhole me.”

classic gygax. I had to look up “buttonhole” though I was able to infer the meaning. But bottom line: he would have gladly signed my books. And now of course it’s too late.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I was probably 20 and went to Gen Con in Milwaukee. I had my AD&D players and other books ready for an autograph, just in case.

In a booth was Gary Gygax and one other individual. There was no line at this moment. I debated with a friend about getting his autograph and ultimately decided not to bother him.

a quarter century later I am still annoyed with my youthful social anxiety. Some years later I sent an email and got a response from him.

classic gygax. I had to look up “buttonhole” though I was able to infer the meaning. But bottom line: he would have gladly signed my books. And now of course it’s too late.
Was the other individual Dave Arneson?

aramis erak

Legend
Two systems that I was really excited about but alas:

MERP. Awesome lore! Not so awesome rules IMO. At least I can reuse those awesome maps.
Oh, but the rules are awesome, too. Just not a good fit for the awesome setting work!

The rules, as a game not set in Middle Earth, are excellent. At least at low levels, which is as much as I've played/run.

It's Rolemaster Light. With a number of streamlining elements making it approachable. Run some D&D modules with it, and it shines.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Minor Heartbreak: I played a lot of Infinity the miniature game. Loved the rules, loved the setting. When Corvus Belli announced a RPG I was super hyped. But when I saw it would use the 2d20 system by Modiphius I was turned off. Infinity already has a d20 roll under system integrated in it. They should have used that as basis for their RPG.

Two systems that I was really excited about but alas:

MERP. Awesome lore! Not so awesome rules IMO. At least I can reuse those awesome maps.

Dangerous Journeys. Probably the less said the better.
We played MERP for years. What a taxing system, but for some reason, we didn't mind it when we were young. (Magic system was so terrible too.) Then, we switched to Dangerous Journeys. We used Thunder Rift from D&D as the setting. It might have been some of the best gaming we have ever done. We loved the ruleset. That said, it was lopsided to say the least for assassins and magic-users that had that special bonus (forgot what it was).

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

That's a bummer but also cool that he responded to your e-mail so positively.

I did get him to sign my issue #1 of Polyhedron. Not sure why that, it is just what I had handy, I suppose. I wish I would have brought one of the Greyhawk booklets from the boxed set or a module like Through the Looking Glass.

Remove ads